Photoshop 7.1 just exits – CMYK jpg or long file name issue?

NA
Posted By
N A Lubas
Sep 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When attempting to access a directory to open a file, Photoshop 7.01 just exits without warning and without any error message. This first happened when I received a jpg image saved as CMYK; file also had a fairly long name. Saving file as RGB did not solve problem, but seemed to alleviate it slightly as did moving the file to another directory – sometimes I could access it and sometimes PS would just close out. Has anyone else ecountered this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NA
N A Lubas
Sep 4, 2003
Additional Note – when reopening the saved-as-RGB file, Photoshop says "the file contains data that cannot be read, this data will be ignored."
P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
Sounds like you have hard drive problems….
P
Phosphor
Sep 4, 2003
Does the same thing happen if you navigate to that folder using another program, such as windows explorer? If so I can confirm hard drive errors as I have the same problem before I got a new hard drive! My workaround was to copy and paste the entire folder to another section of the hard drive- which I could then access. Hope that helps!
NA
N A Lubas
Sep 5, 2003
Hello and thanks for your responses! I did try copying/saving the file to at least 2 other folders – it’s behavior there was more stable, but I still had an occasional crash. I have run Norton Disk Doctor (also with a free space check, which obviously doesn’t help where there are files!) – both it and chkdsk turned up no errors. I have had this happen on two different machines and two different hard drives, both Seagates, 1 60Gig and one 80Gig. Will research further! Cheers!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections