DB
Posted By
dona_bozzi
Mar 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to scan some contrasty negs at 32 bits. Will I be able to do some work with CS3, and if not, a quick fix in raw?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
pfigen
Mar 10, 2009
Scans are typically referred to in bits per channel – 8 bits or 16 bits per channel. That makes them either 24 or 48 bit. Once in a while someone refers to a 32 bit scan and that’s either for a file that’s in CMYK – four channels times 8 bits per channel – or an RGB plus an Alpha channel.

If you truly have contrasty negs, you’ll want to scan them as flat as possible on a scanner that can easily capture the density range of the neg. Bits per channel are not as important as how well the scanner can see both into the highlights and the shadows.

What are your negs like and what sort of scanner are you planning on using?
DB
dona_bozzi
Mar 11, 2009
Hi Peter!
It was an honor to receive your post. It was very clear. I will stick to 16 bits which was actually quite satisfactory. I just thought I could get even better than that for boosted Tmax, but I am using a professional lab and they have for sure a good scanner. But that 32bits was confusing. Thanks.
Dona
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 13, 2009
Not knowing what kind of device you are scanning with, high-end drum scanning might be the best bet for difficult negatives.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections