AL
Posted By
Andy_L_Chelini
Feb 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I cut a 6”x4” piece of newspaper into small pieces & spread them face down on a flatbed scanner.
On top of the pieces I put a matte black piece of paper and scanned. In photoshop I selected, and put each small piece onto its own layer. So each layer had a small piece of newspaper on a transparent background.
I’m trying to unite the pieces back to their original state in Photoshop.

Problem: When I rotate one of the images on a layer in FREE TRANSFORM it gets distorted also with the Rotate command. I have seen many tutorials on Free Transform, tried everything, have a good idea how to use it…I think…. .Please Help

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Feb 6, 2009
Before we tackle your question, perhaps you could give us an idea about why you chose to cut the newspaper article before scanning, when it would be easier and more accurate to do in pPhotoshop after you’ve scanned the piece intact?
AL
Andy_L_Chelini
Feb 6, 2009
I used the newspaper as an example. I have important documents that were torn up to little pieces and im trying to put them together.

Thanks
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 6, 2009
Andy,

Unfortunately, Photoshop cannot do the CSI magic of taking broken pieces of glass or torn up messages and magically reassemble them. And it would be time consuming to do this as you’re attempting with just Photoshop.

My recommendation would be to take the actual pieces, turn them over and assemble them by hand, use a low tack tape to hold them in place and refine their alignment. Then carefully place the reconstructed result onto a flatbed scanner. Scan at a high resolution, touch up the edges in Photoshop and save.

Hope you’re not talking about shredder-size pieces…

Neil
B
Buko
Feb 6, 2009
I have important documents that were torn up to little pieces and im trying to put them together.

Your best bet would be to treat your torn up document as a jigsaw puzzle and put the actual document together by hand by gluing them to another sheet or use scotch tape.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections