J
Posted By
JWeber
Jan 31, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why do some multi-layer, multi channel PSD files preview in the Finder with only part of an image? It appears the file preview is being extracted through the contents of the first alpha channel in the file. <http://tinyurl.com/d4gmuf>

I have Thumbnails, Full Size and Compatibility Always checked. This has been like this for a few versions of PS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 31, 2009
The problem lies with Apple’s Finder: if you have overlying Adjustment or sharpening Layers, the Finder doesn’t "see" through them to the underlying image.

If you use Bridge, instead of the Finder, you won’t have that problem.
J
JWeber
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah it never happens in Bridge. But sometimes I’m just looking at a folder in the Finder (Actually Path Finder) and run across this and wonder what the deal is. Figures it’s an Apple issue.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 31, 2009
And which version of the OS and Photoshop might we be talking about?

In my experience, if you don’t see a preview in the Finder it might also depend on how the image was saved and with which kind of preview.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 1, 2009
It depends on whether or not you have something like a sharpening Layer in something like Overlay mode or with a Layer mask in the image at the top of your Layer Stack.

Turn the visibility of those layers off and I am pretty sure that you will then see the image in the Finder.

That’s how it was here, anyway.
J
JWeber
Feb 1, 2009
I’m using CS4/10.5.6 but this would happen in CS3 too.

As I test I went through my image and turned off the first layer I came to in Overlay mode. Saved and had the same preview result.

I then turned that back on but deleted every alpha channel. Bingo, the preview now shows the file in its entirety.

So as a further test I went back and just deleted the first alpha channel (1 of 7). Now the preview shows only in the areas of what is the new first alpha channel (previously #2).

I guess this is good to know that if for some reason a Finder preview of a PSD file is necessary deletion of all alpha channels needs to happen. Another tidbit of extraneous info to store away!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections