AR
Posted By
alan_ruta
Sep 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a file that works fine at 900dpi but when I scale up to 1200 dpi (about 3.42gb) the bottom half or so in the ID preview is corrupt.

Does anyone know why?

alan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 29, 2008
This would probably be best asked in the ID forum.

I believe ID makes JPG previews so it is trying to convert 3.42 GB of data to JPG for the preview. I could see this being a problem with a file half that size. Is such a file size really needed?
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 29, 2008
Of course its not needed but the client is an idiot and they get what they ask, this time.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 29, 2008
In Design has to generate its own preview from the data in the file. INDY is throwing up on the file. It’s too big for the preview generator.
R
Ram
Sep 29, 2008
INDY is throwing up on the file.

Even I would. :/
S
SuperMacGuy
Sep 30, 2008
This might be the time to consider a low res proxy, just to work with. Swap in the high res right before you need to output it or print it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 30, 2008
Does not always work. When you are dealing with overlays and transparent objects as well as spots, the file is corrupt during the flattening process.

try it…

It’s just not a preview issue.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 30, 2008
Its not just a preview issue, you are right. I tried exporting a pdf to see and it came out with the same corruptions. However when I reopen the tiff file it looks okay.

Huh?

alan
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 30, 2008
Welcome to my world…
B
Buko
Sep 30, 2008
It would help if we knew why the customer thinks they need 1200ppi image so we can help you explain why they don’t need it.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 30, 2008
Unfortunately I a peon at the place I’m working right now so I don’t get to educate the clients of which I’ve rarely had a problem. The person in charge just won’t do it so that is that.

Basically the files are approx 4 or 5 ft wide at 1/4 size. The client wants the images place at 100 percent but 4 times the rez so 1200ppi will effectively be 300ppi when the file is output at 400%. The theory is sound but for the inkjet/banner printer that will most likely be used it is way over rezzed and the rip can do a good enough rez up on the fly anyway, but heh, what do I know.

ps: I’m not going to mention the client but they aren’t a fly by night.

alan
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 30, 2008
See Alan’s other thread in the ID Mac forum.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 30, 2008
Try placing a Photoshop PDF with high compression.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 30, 2008
Next time. Thanks. I just did the highest rez that work, client be damned.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections