Message to Bob Hill (or any other Adobe moderator)

RR
Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bob,

I suggested you, the other day, to move a posting onto its own thread, but I failed to see an answer… So here goes again.

There are an increasing number of people posting under an already opened thread when they should be creating a new threads instead. I believe that, as a group moderator, you should be able to move these questions onto their own threads (in the Adobe Photoshop Album, the moderator did it several times, at least, when I was part of that board). If we want to maintain the search ability in a coherent manner, we should clean up the threads of those problems.

Here’s an example of a thread containing two questions :

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@203.whiRcdSbW7L. 1751463@.3bb518d 1

Thanks for looking into this,

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Ray wrote:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@203.whiRcdSbW7L. 1751463@.3bb518d

Your link does not work.

Ed
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Ray wrote:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@203.whiRcdSbW7L. 1751463@.3bb518d

Your link does not work.

I see the problem now. Your link did not wrap correctly when you posted.

I converted the link for you: http://tinyurl.com/6bofg

BTW, I looked for a document about posting rules, but couldn’t find one.

Have you tried using a newsreader to access this forum? It simplifies the experience.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
I suspect that pacaermo is very new to the forum and while panicking over a problem became confused. He or she posted 7 messages in under 30 minutes with all the same plea and has not been heard of before or since. I suspect for the most part this will be a non issue.

Grant
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Grant_Dixon wrote:
I suspect that pacaermo is very new to the forum and while panicking over a problem became confused. He or she posted 7 messages in under 30 minutes with all the same plea and has not been heard of before or since. I suspect for the most part this will be a non issue.

Fortunately I missed all of them.

While I have your attention, what web forum would you use as a model? IOW, one which is moderated, and has a good balance of guided discussion, but adherence to rules like keeping OT to a minimum, no double posts, no thread hijacking.

I’m looking for a forum where the conversation is focused on techniques applied to digital photos.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
wrote in message

:While I have your attention, what web forum would you use as a model? IOW, : one which is moderated, and has a good balance of guided discussion, but : adherence to rules like keeping OT to a minimum, no double posts, no thread
: hijacking.

Ed

Are you trying to hijack this thread? 😉

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 9, 2004
OFF TOPIC TOO!!! 😉

Ed, your website offers pretty nice information for digital disasters like me.

Leen
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
<Ed_Wurster> wrote in message

While I have your attention, what web forum would you use as a model? IOW, one which is moderated, and has a good balance of guided discussion, but adherence to rules like keeping OT to a minimum, no double posts, no thread hijacking.

Ed

Are you trying to hijack this thread? 😉

Grant

In a benevolent, merciful, dictatorship-kind-of-way.

I wanna learn new stuff.

Ed
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Leen_Koper wrote:
OFF TOPIC TOO!!! 😉

Ed, your website offers pretty nice information for digital disasters like me.

Leen

A left by Grant. A right by Leen. Ed retreats to his corner.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 9, 2004
I’m looking for a forum where the conversation is focused on techniques applied to digital photos.

Ed,
Have you ever visited the retouchpro.com forums? You might find something there along the lines of what you are wanting.

<http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/>

Check out the forum for Restoration, Retouching and Manipulation

Patti
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
Ed

:
: A left by Grant. A right by Leen. Ed retreats to his corner. :
We are only funning with you as we really do appreciate you.

Grant
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Patti Anderson wrote:
Have you ever visited the retouchpro.com forums? You might find something there along the lines of what you are wanting.
<http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/>

Check out the forum for Restoration, Retouching and Manipulation

I’ve read tutorials there. I’ll try the forums.

Ed
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 9, 2004
Grant_Dixon wrote:
We are only funning with you as we really do appreciate you.

I gnu that.

Ed
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 9, 2004
I haven’t seen a moderator on this forum for a long long time … must be because we are a peaceable bunch.

I do still like to pop along to the full Photoshop forum just to remind myself that other forums are not as friendly as us.

Wendy
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 9, 2004
I have the same experience with the photography forum. Some folks calling themselves professional photographers but, according to the time spent in controling the postings on that forum, obiously out of work, are to tell the world they are the only ones that are ALWAYS right. Just like Bagdad Bob once did.
Their vision is extremely limited, but nevertheless they claim to have the only right opinion on everything concerning photography.

It is a shame these people are able to kill the enthousiasme for what started as a very promising opportunity.
Now and then I will still visit that forum, but as long as these people produce about 50% of the postings, they will have to do without my extremely valuable opinion. 😉

Leen
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 9, 2004
Ed,

I rarely used the Web for accessing this forum… I’m on Entourage (Mac OS
X). My experience is not what I wanted to discuss here, btw (but no
offense).

I simply wanted to point out that this forum is more and more seeing people posting under opened thread instead of creating new ones with appropriate subject line. In return, this will make searching more difficult over time. That’s really all there is. A moderator could (and should) move message onto their own threads with distinctive subject line, to make sure things remains orderly.

Wendy: Bob Hill is (or as it would seem, was) this group’s moderator. But he must have left.

Ray
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 10, 2004
Not only have we not seen a moderator but Richard Coencas seems to have been hibernating as well.

Dick
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 10, 2004
"Ray" wrote…
I simply wanted to point out that this forum is more and more seeing
people
posting under opened thread instead of creating new ones with appropriate subject line. In return, this will make searching more difficult over
time.
That’s really all there is. A moderator could (and should) move message onto their own threads with distinctive subject line, to make sure things remains orderly.

I understand. I help moderate a board and understand this. It depends on how far out you look. In a hundred years, only the trees will remember. Or at least the ones we don’t cut down.

Seriously, what we discuss today will not concern many people in a year. We’ll have new install problems, different viruses, and so on.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Ed
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 10, 2004
You’re right Dick, here’s a name we’ve not heard from in a long time… I hope he wasn’t fired along with those working on the Photoshop Album, when Adobe moved his programming team from USA to India.

Ray
O
o3v3tz
Aug 10, 2004
Well, it seemed to me that this forum runs itself!

This comment is intended as a compliment to the multiple people whom I see providing answers to many and varied questions not just about Elements but also about cameras, scanners, and printers.

Although I have only asked a few questions so far, the answers have been very helpful and have saved me hours of mistakes and frustration. Others have commented that this is a very friendly forum and I definitely agree. Keep up the good work.

BarbO
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 10, 2004
Ray, Rich Coencas is still with Adobe.
DH
Dave Hamer
Aug 10, 2004
Usually when the Adobe personnel are absent from the forums for bit it means they are redying a new release version.

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Dave Hamer
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.735 / Virus Database: 489 – Release Date: 8/6/2004
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 10, 2004
Ray,

I must have missed that news flash. I hope you’re right.

Dick
RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 10, 2004
Dick : I re-read… I meant the Adobe Photoshop Album dev team was moved to India, several months ago. Not Richard… My appologies !

Bob : You did have to close this thread…. I think you didn’t read it, as I wanted to know if you could move the messages from one thread to another…

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 10, 2004
Ray

I may be wrong but I do believe the team is still in North America.

Grant
B
BobHill
Aug 11, 2004
Ray,

I moved the message you requested into it’s own topic, but closed this one due to all the OT stuff anyway. This one I’m leaving open just in case there is something else needed for some reason. One of the nice things about this forum has been it’s self governing attributes. And that’s due to the great people who spend a lot of time here. I’ve not seen a more pleasant and helpful group obviously dedicated to the subject matter and certainly it hasn’t taken on the cast of so many forums. Especially those that don’t have a lot of moderation. Thus at times I’ve been able to apply my time to other needs more than here. Jim Jutte should also be showing up from time to time also (when not getting ready for Med School, that is) and Rich also, I’d guess when his other duties don’t take his time.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections