CB
Posted By
Caroline_Bobb
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I, too, just purchased and installed PE 2.0. I have searched the data base for only one layer in a palette and found that helpful, only I can do none of the recommendations from Wendy Williams Dated Aug. 1, 2004.
When I open 4 different pictures that I want to combine, if I copy a layer then click on another pic, I get a new layer with that picture locked. When I tried the tutorial of "do this for me" and tried to move the layer on top of another, it said "layer locked"
Another question: my layers pallette is never on top. . . I need to go to Windows-Layers- to bring it up every time. . .And everytime I do I have a new locked layer.
I am happy that John Edwin Puzey, on July 31, 2004 found the way. I am stumped and hope I don’t appear to be a total loss.
Any help is sincerely appreciated. . .
Maybe some of my settings or preferences are off to begin with. . . Thanks in advance.
Caroline Bobb

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AT
Anne_Twitchell
Aug 8, 2004
Caroline, a background layer can be unlocked by double clicking on it. You can then move it onto another image. As for the layers pallette you need to drag it out of the Pallette Well. Sometimes it’s hard to do that if you have many pallettes in the Well. You may want to take all pallettes that you don’t use often out of the Well by dragging each one out of the Well and clicking on the arrow to the right of the pallette name and then clicking on Close Pallette to Pallette Well (that is, uncheck it). If the Layers Pallette is not in the Well go to Windows and click on Layers to put it in the well. Then click the arrow on the right side of the pallette and then click on Close to Pallette Well (check it). Do the same for pallettes you use often so they will be readily available when you need them. All others will have to be accessed through Windows and after using them if you click on the x they will not go to the Pallette Well. Also if you close Elements with the Layers Pallette (or any other pallette) dragged from the well to the work area, next time you open Elements that layer should still be out on the work area. Sorry so wordy. Hope this will help.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 8, 2004
Caroline, follow Anne’s advice about getting the Layer palette out onto your desktop. From there, though, you might want to try a different technique for combining the images. The end result is the same, but it’s sometimes easier for people unfamiliar with layers to accomplish.

Have all the images you want to combine open on the desktop, and choose one of them as the picture into which you want the other images placed. Use the cursor to drag them around, just as you would in any other application, and arrange them so you can see a bit of all of them, with the "move into" image bigger and most accessible. Now click on the first one you want to move to make it the active layer (you’ll now see it displayed in your layer palette.) Double click on the Background layer in the palette to make sure it’s unlocked. Next do a (Win) Control A (Mac) Command A to select the entire image – meaning having the "marching ants" visible. Choose the Move tool, click and hold anywhere within the image you want to move and just drag it to your primary image – which will immediately become the active image again, and you’ll see the image you moved show up as a new layer in the palette. You can then continue to use the Move tool to shift the image anywhere in the picture you want it. Do the same thing with the other two images you want to move.

I do often use the method of moving layers, but I learned this way first and still feel it’s the easiest for beginners to deal with. You learn how to manage layers while you’re working, rather than needing a good understanding of them before you start.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 8, 2004
Caroline,

Resolution of the images will be a factor here. All images you paste will assume the res. of the destination image, therefore, one way or another they must all be at the same res. To avoid surprises of size, if they are at different resolutions, you could use Image>Resize Image to find the res. of the image you will paste others into. Using Image Resize on the others, with Resample UNchecked, change only the value of res. to match the destination. When pasting images in, you can use the Scale function to shrink if needed.
CB
Caroline_Bobb
Aug 9, 2004
Dear Anne, Beth & Nancy,
Thank you for your replies. Anne, I think I have the layers pallette on top in the dock where it should be. . . I hope. I have been fooling around off and on and tried the "copy & paste" method and seem to have had some success. I laborously had to go to the Window and open the pallette layer every time I clicked for anything.
I can’t wait to try Beth’s suggestion for combining images. And to Nancy, I will pay attention to the resolution of my images.
Thank you again for your timely response and support.
Kind regards,
Caroline
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 9, 2004
Caroline,

Grab hold of the tab (the top portion) of the Layers Palette as it sits above the workarea. Hold the mouse button down and drag the whole palette down along the ride side of workarea, let go of mouse. It should just stay there and always be there when you open the program. Just ridiculous that you have to keep opening it each time!

edit—you can of course scoot it around on the workarea when needed by click/drag on the title bar.
JZ
jean-pierre_zacaropoulos
Aug 14, 2004
Beth Haney

Thanks for the tip. It worked. I am using Photoshop CS and was having the same problem with the locked layers. So now that I have been able to place a picture on the layer, how do I resize the picture to make more room for others?

I do not seem to be able to do this. I tried resizing the picture before I moved it, but it goes back to original size of the picture once it is moved onto the background main layer. If I try to select it, it selects the whole new layer.

I am new at this and apologize if the answer is obvious.

Thanks in advance

Jean-Pierre
JZ
jean-pierre_zacaropoulos
Aug 14, 2004
Beth Haney

Thanks for the tip. It worked. I am using Photoshop CS and was having the same problem with the locked layers. So now that I have been able to place a picture on the layer, how do I resize the picture to make more room for others?

I do not seem to be able to do this. I tried resizing the picture before I moved it, but it goes back to original size of the picture once it is moved onto the background main layer. If I try to select it, it selects the whole new layer.

I am new at this and apologize if the answer is obvious.

Thanks in advance

Jean-Pierre
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 14, 2004
Jean-Pierre,

The resolution of your background layer will dictate the resolution of any images moved onto that layer. Any image moved onto another image, will assume the res. of the receiving layer.

If you are trying to print several images on a sheet of paper, check the res. of all images, using the reseize function (with Resample unchecked) make all the res. the same. Create a new blank document (81/2 in by 11 in) with the same resolution. Drag and drop each image onto new blank document. With the Layers Palette visible, highlight a layer and use the Move tool to reposition.

Is this what you are trying to do?
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 14, 2004
Jean-Pierre – Nancy’s got it. If you’re still having trouble, feel free to repost. This can be a tricky concept for people new to digital imaging.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections