AS
Posted By
Amy_Stark
Jan 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I start to drag the marquee, lasso or crop tools, my image goes black. So of course I can’t see where to draw . What is causing this an how do I fix it?
Amy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 17, 2009
Amy,

Mac OS X 10.5.0; 10.5.1; 10.5.2…etc.?

Did you try to reset your tool preferences? Or Photoshop’s preferences?

Neil
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Beside the exact version of the OS, as Neil requests, you need to specify the machine and the video card, especially the amount of V-RAM.
B
Buko
Jan 17, 2009
When I start to drag the marquee, lasso or crop tools, my image goes black.

Amy, you have a problem.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
That probably is not news to Amy. 😀
RM
Rick McCleary
Jan 17, 2009
Amy –

If the problem were just with the crop tool, I’d suggest that you look at the Crop options bar and be sure that there are no values entered in the "width" and "height" fields. You can click the "clear" button to remove those values.

For example, if there is a "1" in each of those fields, when you click in the image with the crop tool, you would see a preview of the image cropped to 1px x 1px, basically resulting in a black file. Hit "Escape", clear the fields, and proceed.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
be sure that there are no values entered in the "width" and "height" fields. You can click the "clear" button to remove those values.

For example, if there is a "1" in each of those fields, when you click in the image with the crop tool, you would see a preview of the image cropped to 1px x 1px, basically resulting in a black file.

That leaves me with a perfectly square crop, Rick, the sizew of which depends on how far I dragged the crop tool.

In order to get the results you describe, I would need to enter a 1 in all three fields, including Resolution, and have a totally black apron or be in Full Screen mode (hitting the F key twice).
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 17, 2009
In order to get the results you describe, I would need to enter a 1 in all three fields, including Resolution, and have a totally black apron or be in Full Screen mode (hitting the F key twice).

That’s what Rick wrote!

a 1 in each of those fields.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
There you go trying to explain a post again, Wade!

That is NOT what Rick wrote.

Look at his post again:

be sure that there are no values entered in the "width" and "height" fields.

No mention of the Resolution field.

Then;

For example, if there is a "1" in each of those fields,

Finally:

when you click in the image with the crop tool, you would see a preview of the image cropped to 1px x 1px, basically resulting in a black file.

No mention of Full Screen mode at all. In Standard Screen mode, the apron remains gray, the window shrinks leaving a considerable gray apron around it (because the window can’t shrink small enough), and even the 1-pixel square crop is clearly visible.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Please spare me your usual spiel about typos, errors, etc.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
the first part sire of Ricks comment you quoted was to correct the problem the second part about the 1 in each field is how it would cause t to appear black.

Read it again buddy.

And there are no typos.

The meaning is quite clear and misunderstand what was written.
AS
Amy_Stark
Jan 18, 2009
Wow. Thank you, everybody, for your input. Glad to know you are all there for me. I’ve been using PS for years, so know this wasn’t supposed to be happening.

I have done all of your suggestions, quit and restarted everything. And now it’s working properly. I’m not sure the issue won’t reoccur. All of those tools were affected. When I let go, the image reappeared, but as soon as I clicked again, it went black again.
Anyway, thank you all.
Amy
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
Wade,

You’re impaired now.
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
However, even if you read your thoughts into it, the conclusion Rick draws is wrong. Writing 1 in all three fields does NOT result in a black file.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections