Posted By
Jeff_Berns
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
The other day I posted: "I have 2 problems that I have discovered involving fonts. I have Elements 2 installed in XP Pro and when I choose Franklin Gothic Heavy it only works in Italic (I have not clicked on italic tab). In other programs I have the choice of regular or italic (Publisher & Word). Second, when I use "Genuine" and press (‘)apostrophe what appears is an outline of a box."

What’s the best way to remove, and then reload "Franklin Gothic" and "Genuine". And does this seem like a possible solution?

Many Thanks,
JB

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 25, 2004
To unload present font, move it out of Fonts folder.

Then File/Install font from Font Folder menu.
Point to the font.

Only thing is, if anything is wrong with it, you’re just reloading a corrupted font. Need orginal copy of it, wherever you got it…

Mac
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 26, 2004
Mac,
Those fonts work fine in Publisher and Word. So if I go to control panel>fonts, won’t I find the originals? Or do I need to go some other route?
Thanks,
JB
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 27, 2004
Yes, that’s where your actual font files ARE.
If they work fine in other apps, then they are probably fine (one would think).
I haven’t kept up with thread here, just mentioned the way to remove/reload, using the files you currently have.

Mac
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 27, 2004
Mac,

Can you be more specific as to unloading font. Where do I go in Photoshop Elements program file to find the fonts folder?

Thanks,
JB
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 27, 2004
Jeff,

There isn’t a fonts folder in Elements … Elements simply uses fonts that are already installed on your computer.

Wendy
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 27, 2004
Wendy,
Today I removed and re-installed Elements to see if the font problem would correct itself. It didn’t, the "Genuine" font still has a line box when I hit the apostrophe key. And It doesn’t happen in Publisher or Word. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
JB
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 27, 2004
Jeff try one these two workarounds. This worked for me on a couple of fonts that had a similar problem. One or the other "should" work.

1. In Elements, go to Edit menu>Preferences and under General, uncheck the box beside Use Smart Quotes.

If that doesn’t work try this:

2. Get your apostrophe via the Windows Character Map. Windows Start menu>All Programs>Accessories>System tools>Character Map. Choose your Franklin Gothic font from the drop down list and then select and copy the apostrophe. The apostrophe and quotes are usually on the top row. Back in Elements, paste it into your text.

The weord thing about this is, that once you do this the problem seems to go away. ???

Patti
R
RSD99
Jul 27, 2004
"Jeff Berns" asked:
"…
What’s the best way to remove, and then reload (… fonts … ) …."

Fonts are part of "The Operating System," not part of PhotoShop Elements.

Try

Start (lower left corner of your screen)
Settings
Control Panel
Fonts

wrote in message
Wendy,
Today I removed and re-installed Elements to see if the font problem would correct
itself. It didn’t, the "Genuine" font still has a line box when I hit the apostrophe key. And It doesn’t happen in Publisher or Word. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
JB
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks Patti!

"Smart Quote" solution worked for apostraphe (what a relief!).

Any ideas on the Franklin Gothic Bold solution. The problem: I set the font family to FGB and the font style box automatically sets iteself to italic. I tried to "reset", but that option is "greyed out". And I get FGB regular in other applications.

Many Thanks for your help,
JB
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 28, 2004
Patti — the font name is actually: Franklin Gothic Heavy. JB
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 28, 2004
Jeff

Up to a few minutes ago I didn’t have Franklin Gothic on my computer so I loaded the whole family, Book, Book Italic, Demi, Demi Italic, Heavy, and Heavy Italic from my Corel disk and they work like a charm so not really sure what to say. But one of the things I noticed is that Word only shows that I have three members of the family installed not the six.

Grant
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 28, 2004
Grant,
I actually have 7 in the Franklin Gothic family in Elements and only 6 in word (the extra is ITC Franklin Gothic). But medium, heavy & demi seemed to be locked in italic. How do I unlock?
Thanks,
Jeff
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 28, 2004
Jeff

All mine are ITC Franklin Gothic. If you select the ITC font are they still locked in italics?

Grant
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 28, 2004
Grant,
The ITC Font is not italic, it’s Book. There should be a way to unlock the italic? JB
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 28, 2004
Jeff

With my ITC Franklin Gothic Book the italic appears to be locked but once I click my curser onto the page it becomes unlocked.

Grant
JB
Jeff_Berns
Jul 28, 2004
Bingo!
When I use the ITC FGBook I can set the font style to heavy and get a "non-italic" font. When I go down to the FGHeavy it’s always in italic. Working with the ITC is the key.
Thanks for your help!
JB
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 28, 2004
Jeff

It took a while but glad we got you up an running.

Grant

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections