Posted By
Ric_Cohn
Jan 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"These are Leaf Aptus 75 files, 16bpc. About 190Mb each."

Yeah, that will do it. You’re really underpowered for these files. Lot’s of work arounds though. Make a duplicate file of just the layer you need (or even the part of the layer you are liquifying). Close the main file; do your liquify; open your layered file and drag the liquified layer back.

Ric

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 23, 2009
USB Drive – You never mentioned that in your first post. Whats set as your scratch disk? How much free space to you have on your primary drive?
R
Ram
Jan 23, 2009
Scratch disk: Internal HDD only. Then about 10Gb free. (Too little, I know)

No, no just "too little", it’s totally inadequate. It’s not even enough for the OS, let alone Photoshop.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 23, 2009
11 GB. 😉
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 23, 2009
So?

As Ramón says, you are choking your computer with so little space — you are not allowing enough room for your computer to do the calculations it needs to do. Ideally, your drives should be no more than, say, about 1/2 full. Delete or archive whatever it takes to get you to that point. And consider buying a larger hard drive.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 23, 2009
So?

As Ramón says, you are choking your computer with so little space — you are not allowing enough room for your computer and software to do the calculations they need to do and are not providing enough temporary memory space. Ideally, your drives should be no more than, say, about 1/2 full. Delete or archive whatever it takes to get you to that point. And consider buying a larger hard drive.

Neil
MD
Mate_Dobray
Jan 23, 2009
Yep I can replicate it unfortunately. On CS3 and CS4, both, if I remember well, but in CS4 for sure. When my external USB 2.0 HDD is plugged in, Liquefy lags at every click and my External drive shows usage. This makes Liquefy completely unusable.

I am convinced that this is not a hardware issue, as I have the latest Unibody high end MacBook Pro with 4 Gigs of RAM and the killer video card.

If I eject the drive (but I can’t do that during liquefy as it is being accessed) then Liquefy is normal, no lag at all. I am suspecting that the programmers screwed up again somewhere, this is probably some kind of scratch disk bug. I did not set my scratch disks to be on that external drive. If I check on iStat, I can see that I still have loads of free RAM (more than 1.5 GB usually) and the CPU is not showing any particularly high activity.

Very annoying problem! Has anyone filed a bug report? Any solutions, workarounds?
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 23, 2009
Have you filed a bug report on this?
SS
shane_sato
Mar 19, 2009
Has anyone found a solution for this problem? I use liquify a lot and it just started to give me the evil beach ball….. only with large files not small ones (jpgs) It almost seems there is some type of cache that is not deleting making this slower and slower….. is there a plug-in only for liquify? or somekind of re-boot for photoshop? I am obviously not a tech, but no one seems to know or have this problem….. this is my second time. the first time it happened right before I sold my older G5. here are the specs to my computer….. however I think it is some kind of liquify bug….. everything else in photoshop. including raw conversions are running fast! Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version: 1.25f4

help!!!

shane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections