May 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS3 PS
-XP64
-16 bit files (not sure about others)
-smear brush – after a few strokes PS quits with no defined error message -various other brush tools do the same
-use of some filters cause same problem
-tablet software removed – problem the same
-preferences reset (makes no difference)

demo of final version is no better than the prior beta – namely ‘unusable’ except as a pretty feature preview

is it worth spending money on this upgrade?

any suggestions to help get it working appreciated?

gav

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
gowanoh
May 2, 2007
Perhaps you should consider using 32 bit Windows.
In the real world there is no practical advantage to the 64 bit versions of Windows and many, many problems such as you are encountering. In a 32 bit environment the commercial release of CS3 seems quite polished, has resolved most, if not all, of the glitches in the beta, and seems to work faster than CS2 on dual core machines.
However in my dual boot environment CS3, along with just about everything else, runs time by the wristwatch on your arm faster under XP than under Vista.
In my experience I found that 64 bit WinXP was also faster than 64 bit Vista, but every bit as pointless for everyday use.
Hence, if you want to get real work accomplished, as opposed to endless fiddling with defective and incompatible operating systems, stick with Win XP.
There are monumental problems with Vista and Vista drivers such that users should not assume that the change of OSes will be worthwhile for them.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 2, 2007
I have had constant CS3 crashes as well. What error message do you get? I find that the msvcr80.dll is the culprit and cannot isolate it in order to run the program Have tried everything. NO go. Have called adobe technical…get sympathy but as of yet no solution. Is it the same bug? The msvcr80.dll? Good luck.
GL
Gavin_Long
May 2, 2007
no mention of msvcr80.dll or anything else

Program is there one second and gone the next

an ‘error’ is all I remember seeing when ‘report crash to microsoft’ option window opens

there is not even and ‘see what this report contains’ option

gav
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 2, 2007
Go to this site and D/L it and install it. If you already have it, this will do no harm: <http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr80>

You may still get crashes, however. I am getting them but I still run beta. it showed up rather suddenly.

Check your event log for further info.
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 2, 2007
I am also experiencing crashes when running CS3. I was a beta user and followed the instructions to run the "clean" script prior to installing CS3. CS3 installed with no problems but does crash frequently.

I get the Windows pop-up message "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem and needs to close". When you look at the details it always mentions msvcr80.dll as the mod name.

I have not been able to correlate this crashing with any particular action, it just seems to be random.

I am running XP Pro with all MS updates, Norton Internet Security 2007 provides firewall, spyware and antivirus protection. I have run multiple scans and my machine appears to be clean from any malicious software.
C
c0mancheman
May 2, 2007
I am getting exactly the same error on my cs3 install its bloody annoying.

Its always in msvcr80.dll but CS3 runs fine on my laptop just totally unusable on the main work pc. I have even wiped the machine completely and reinstalled windows the lot but still have the same problem.

This has been the bugiest release of Photoshop I have ever had to use.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 3, 2007
Wow!! So sorry that you still have the msvcr80.dll problem after re-formatting your computer. I was at that next step, but will definitely NOT re-install Windows. Is it something in my processor, P4 2.66, a program..Windows? I took all the msvcr80.dll out of all possible programs, except for Windows and I still had the crashes!! My laptop also runs smoothly with CS3, but not my desktop!!! HELP
JS
J.Smith
May 3, 2007
I have been seeing the EXACT problem and have since reverted back to CS2. I’m surprised a bug this nasty made it through the beta. (I did not participate in the beta). Totally unacceptable for a product that costs so much. My suspicion is it’s related to some interaction with my video drivers. I noticed the frequency of it happening changes depending on what version of the drivers I have installed.

Probably the most beneficial thing we can do for now is try to identify any commonality with the systems exhibiting this problem. This may help point to a possible solution.

I’ll start by listing my system specs and I suggest anyone else having this problem do the same.

Windows XP SP2 (All patched applied from Windows Update) AMD Opteron 185, 4GB RAM
NVidia 8800GTS 640MB (XFX) (158.22 Drivers installed)

Adobe is seriously dragging their feet on this one.

Lots of smart minds out there.. let’s see what we can find.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 3, 2007
I had the msvcr80.dll problem show up a couple of weeks ago on Beta when since January, I had not seen it at all. I looked at Sys32 after doing a Google on the dll, and it was missing. So I installed it from a free dll site and the problem went away.

Unfortunately, it showed up in a different guise in about a day, and then, Beta went by-by for good. No chance to run it down.

I had access to another system different configuration with beta installed that ran fine. The dll was not present, so I asked the owner to install it to see what happens, and we lost that opportunity too.

Now, dll problems are showing up here also.
JS
J.Smith
May 3, 2007
Lawrence,

You won’t find the DLL in the system32 directory. It is deployed as a side-by-side assembly and will appear in a sub folder (or sub folders depending on how many different runtimes are installed) under %windir%>\WinSxS. The problem is not the DLL itself, more like something CS3 is asking the DLL to do. Changing the DLL will not resolve the issue.. I’ve already tried.

If you can reliably reproduce the problem, please list your system specs so that we might be able to draw some conclusions on what might be going on.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 3, 2007
Are most people who are having this problem on XP64, or is anyone seeing this on XP Pro (32bit)?
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 3, 2007
My system is 32-bit and is running XP Pro. I have frequent crashes of Photoshop CS3 and get the "Adobe Photoshop CS3 has encountered a problem & needs to close" message. The details of this error message reveal a reference to msvcr80.dll with offset 0000892c. These details are always the same and I have experienced numerous (dozens) of crashes.

I have tried all the suggestions from Adobe support but so far nothing has solved the problem.

My system is a Dell 8250 with 2 gigabytes of RAM. It has an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card with the latest drivers from ATI.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 3, 2007
It’s moot since Beta has disappeared, and I haven’t purchased the upgrade yet.

FWIW, here’s the system and the problem I had:

Athlon 64 bit 2GHZ on an Asus M2V board with 2G ram. Scratch and paging on their own partition and on drives other than where C resides.

What happened is that when I dragged the image plane by the top edge, CS3 would crash. Everything pointed to the video card but changing cards and updating drivers didn’t work. I even went to Omega for their version of the ATi driver, no dice.

Looking at the event log showed that that particular dll wasn’t responding. I did a search for it and came up empty. I looked in Sys32 and it wasn’t there. So I downloaded it and installed it in Sys32 folder.

The problem went away. BUT, later on, after running for 1/2 hr or so, while cropping a panoramic image created in Photomerge, it again crashed, indicating the same problem. Restart, run for a while crash but now, the faulty module was indicated as photoshop.exe. Before I could go on, Beta was deactivated by Adobe.

So, again FWIW, that’s it in a nutshell.

I since did an uninstall and both manual clean and registry clean with a tool, opened CS2 and that Bridge no longer worked. Tried the repair, couldn’t find a specific file so I re-installed CS2 over the top. No it runs normal (so far!).

When I get home, I’ll look to see if that dll is in two places. It is in Sys32.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 3, 2007
I run XP Pro and had nothing but problems getting CS3 to run more than 5 minutes without a crash…culprit is the msvcr80.dll. I did have CS3 beta but uninstalled it..cleaned it with clean script,etc. I was able to install CS3 without a problem.
I searched and found the dll to be on a Canon file, the CS3 plugin files and two places in sys.32. I removed the dll from the plugin and the Canon program file and re-installed CS3. NO go…still crashes in a short time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I run Pentium 4 2.66, 2gig RAM. On my hard drive have amoung other things the Microsoft Office and a variety of Canon programs, for scanners, cameras, and printer.
thanks
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 3, 2007
For the people experiencing the crash:

1. What programs (if any) are running besides PS when you crash?
2. Do you have 3rd party scanner/printer software installed?
3. Anti-Virus software installed & running?
4. Have you tried deleting PS CS3 preferences?
5. Have you checked Preferences > Plug-ins to see that no additional plug-ins folder is selected? (some people have had issues when CS3 was looking at the CS2 plug-ins folder)

Trying to find a common thread here other than the app is crashing all the time. Something on your system is making PS unhappy… let’s find the magic bullet 🙂

-Adam
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 3, 2007
Also, you can check to make sure that your version of the .dll is: 8.0.50727.42

I would check to ensure that all versions of that dll (if you have other copies of it on your system other than the one in the Adobe Photoshop CS3 application folder) on your system are the same.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 3, 2007
I found in Windows/WinSysS/x86…there are two msvcr80.dll files, one with 8.0.50727.42 also in that folder another with version 8.0.50727.163. Could that be the problem? The other msvcr80.dll on my computer were files were all of the version ending in .42.
Any ideas…??
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
Try getting all of the versions of the .dll in sync on your machine with the .42 version (the one that shipped with CS3).

First copy the newer one (.163) to your desktop just in case you need it again for some other application, and then replace it with the .42 version. I’m wondering if the multiple versions of that .dll could be the problem.

thanks,
-Adam
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
Would the .163 be the older version of the dll? And the versions of the .dll ending in .42 be the newer one?
I am afraid messing around with Window files!! Any inspiration? Could it crash my computer? thanks
Rick
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
I would actually assume (though I could be wrong), that .42 is the older version.

You can save .163 to your desktop before replacing it with .42 in case something else stops working, or you can let someone else try this and let your system be (don’t do anything that you feel might make your system unstable).
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
this is really weird! The three dlls in one folder (that includes our friend the msvcr80.dll) all have .163 as the last three digits in the version, while the other folder with the dlls that include our friend all have versions that end in .42. If I try to change the version by replacing the dll …it automatically goes back to the original version…be it either .163 or .42!!!!
so where am I now? totally confused
Rick
MS
Martin_Smith
May 4, 2007
I have the crash problem on my HP/Compaq business desktop machine. Its XPPro 32, 2G ram, onboard video. I had the beta on my home machine, which had the Vista Beta and now Vista Ultimate, the CS3 beta and now CS3, and totally no problems at all! It seems to happen when I move a photo on screen, but this is not consistent. Today I scanned in two pages to combine into one. Copy to clipboard, file–>new, double the width, ok. Paste the first in and when I started to move it to the left CS3 crashed. Of course I hadn’t saved the scans. Next time I saved at each step and finished the job. Very irritating problem. I still have CS2 on system and it still works fine.
BW
Bob_Weinberger
May 4, 2007
Martin,

I’m experiencing crashes when moving image windows as well. I’ve had the MSVCR80.DLL crash but, more frequently, Photoshop just disappears without a message and without any events being written to the system or application event logs. In fact, I can easily reproduce the crash by first opening a .cr2 from Bridge and then having ACR open it directly as a 16-bit file in Photoshop. I then run the Gothic Glow action from atncentral.com three times and click down on the title bar of the resultant image window. As soon as I begin to drag the window, Photoshop vanishes. If I save the file from ACR to disk as a .psd and then open it in PS, I can run the action all day without a problem.

I’m running XP Pro SP2 and never had the PS CS3 beta installed. I’m running the latest nVidia display driver with dual 1600×1200 displays. nVidia nView is disabled because of the conflict with Lightroom. I’ve killed all but essential processes in task manager and tried different settings for memory usage in preferences to no avail. Process Explorer shows that PS is using version .163 of both MSVCR80.DLL and MSVCP80.DLL.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
Let me try again…In the Windows/WinSysS/x86_…I have two folders that have the msvcr80.dll. Each folder is named the same, but the dlls has different versions, one ending in .163 and the other .42. Could the files be competing against each other. What would happen if I deleted one of the files, keeping all the msvcr80.dll on the computer with the same version, namely the 8.0.50727.42????
thanks
Rick
JS
J.Smith
May 4, 2007
Unless you know what you’re doing, please DO NO DELETE anything from the Windows\WinSxS folders! Doing so may break applications that rely on those specific DLLs to function. The folders in WinSxS are side-by-side assemblies, a mechanism to PREVENT DLL collisions. Please see the following for more information:
< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_XP#Appl ication_isolation_.26_side-by-side_assemblies>

So far from the posts I’ve seen I believe we can draw the following conclusions:

1. We are dealing with 2 different problems here:
a. CS3 just vanishes.
b. CS3 terminates with faulting module being MSVCR80.DLL. While I haven’t experienced the first problem, the 2nd problem is easily reproducible on my system.

2. The problem doesn’t seem to be tied to any particular processor platform (Intel vs AMD) or video card (Nvidia vs ATI(AMD) vs Integrated). Amount of installed RAM doesn’t seem to matter either.

3. The problem does not appear on Vista systems. Affected systems seem to be Windows XP 32 and 64 bit versions.

4. The problem only appears on desktop systems. Laptops seem to be unaffected somehow.

Please feel free to point out anything I missed.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
OK..will not do anything that could crash system. But, have checked my laptop with XP and found only one file in the WinSys folder with the msvcr80.dll and it ended with .163. Not the two like my desktop. Also, my wife’s XP computer only had one of the dll in her WinSys.
Why the variation? Do all XP systems have two of the msvcr80.dll in separate files in the WinSys? Do you really need two? Could they be the problem? I haven’t a clue. All I know is that I cannot run CS3 smoothly without a crash, usually shortly after I start to work with the program!
Rick
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
Talked to my friend in the computer business and he said to leave the WinSys files alone!! Do not touch them, he said! Let Adobe find the problem and get a patch for the msvcr80.dll issue. But when are they going to come up with the solution? How many users have this problem?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 4, 2007
When you say CS3 just vanishes, do you mean there is no indication in the event log of any error or even information connected to the event?

I saw two in Beta: The .dll problem and another simply labelled as Photoshop.exe as the fault module, which is a big one indeed!

I haven’t seen a just disappear (without a trace) event.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
"So far from the posts I’ve seen I believe we can draw the following conclusions:

1. We are dealing with 2 different problems here:
a. CS3 just vanishes.
b. CS3 terminates with faulting module being MSVCR80.DLL. While I haven’t experienced the first problem, the 2nd problem is easily reproducible on my system. "

This seems to be the case. One case the app disappears. The other case the app crashes in MSVCR80.DLL. When you say #2 is easy to reproduce, what are you doing in the app that causes the crash, anything? Everything?
BW
Bob_Weinberger
May 4, 2007
Lawrence,

Correct. I can be working in PS for an hour and then, in an instant, the application and all of its windows go poof! No messages and nothing written to the XP event logs. Even the PS scatch file is gone. Everything else on the system continues to run fine.

I’ve done some further testing. The vanishing act happens when I open a .cr2 file shot in portrait orientation, 2912 wide by 4368 pixels high. If I open a landscape image instead and follow the same steps, instead of vanishing PS crashes with an exception code of 0xC0000005 in module photoshop.exe. Furthermore, if I crop the portrait mode image first in ACR before opening it, I have to run the action four times instead of three to get a crash and the crash is the photoshop.exe fault rather than a poof.
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 4, 2007
I searched my system for msvcr80.dll and found several instances of it. All of them were version 8.0.50727.42 except for one which was the .163 version. The odd one is in a WinSys directory and I tried replacing it with the .42 version but Photoshop CS3 still crashes with the same mention of msvcr80.dll. I did notice, however, that the crashes previous to my swapping out the .163 version referred to version .163 and after swapping the crashes refer to version .42.

The bad news is that it is still crashing so swapping out the version of msvcr80.dll didn’t cure the problem.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 4, 2007
I found that out also. Installing that dll stopped the crash from happening as I moved the image around the workspace, but it crashed several steps later once when cropping! That was the dll error message. Another time it just crashed as I was deciding my next step. That was the ps.exe. error.

But, as I said, it was on Beta. Doesn’t seem to be any different on the production version.

If you are wondering did I report it? Well, the beta forum had just closed due to the release!
R
RobertHJones
May 4, 2007
FYI,

MSVCR80.DLL is the Microsoft C runtime library. This is a generic library of subroutines used by programs developed using the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment. Errors in the runtime library are almost always the result of the program using the library and not the library itself. Usually, bad data is being passed to the subroutine being called.

You can have dozens of copies of the runtime library on your system as it frequently ships with the product. You don’t want to replace versions arbitrarily.

The problem you are having will probably not be fixed by replacing the dll as Photoshop is the likely culprit. Adobe needs to find and correct the underlying problem in Photoshop.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
To repeat what J. Smith said, DO NOT replace any of the DLLs on your system. That will not fix the crash (as a few people have noted), and could cause other applications to fail.

Ok, let’s see if we can track two issues in one thread…

Bob: your .cr2 file is from what camera? I’d be happy to play around with that one too.

Also, I still haven’t heard back from people with regards to the DLL crash…

1. Do you have any other applications running when PS crashes?
2. Do you have any scanners/printers/special mouse drivers installed on your system?

There must be a common thread here if it has nothing to do with processor or video card.

Can someone who can easily reproduce the crash try moving the extensions folder from plug-ins to your desktop? You can move it back (and I would suggest you do), but this would eliminate the bottleneck plug-ins as a possible cause of the crash.
JS
J.Smith
May 4, 2007
To answer Adam’s questions:

1. Do you have any other applications running when PS crashes?

A. I can reproduce the problem on a fresh boot with no other applications running.

2. Do you have any scanners/printers/special mouse drivers installed on your system?

A. Scanner drivers I have installed include: Microtek i900, Epson Perfection 4990, Epson Perfection 4870, CanoScan LiDE80. No printer drivers are installed. I have the Wacom Intuos 3 drivers installed (from December 2006). For mouse/keyboard I use the IntelliPoint/Type drivers from Microsoft.

I think I can rule out scanners as being the issue since disabling TWAIN for CS3 still reproduces the problem. I can try updating the tablet drivers but would prefer not to as their current release notes contain some scary caveats. The mouse/keyboard drivers are standard fare from Microsoft so I’d imagine they’re not the cause either.

Can someone who can easily reproduce the crash try moving the extensions folder from plug-ins to your desktop? You can move it back (and I would suggest you do), but this would eliminate the bottleneck plug-ins as a possible cause of the crash.

I’m not sure if this would accomplish anything since I don’t have any 3rd party plugins installed.

As for causing the crash here are the steps I take:
1. Open any image. Zoom in on the image with Ctrl+0.
2. Duplicate the image. If the image has multiple layers flatten them in the duplicate image.
3. From the layer palatte drag the duplicate image back onto the original image. You should now have a new layer in the original image.
4. Set the opacity of this new layer to around 75%.
5. Using the move tool start dragging the layer around. The crash may not happen right away. I’ve found that moving the layer around in small tight circles or "shaking" the layer will quickly cause the crash. At times simply nudging with the keyboard or clicking with the mouse is enough to trigger it.

I’m sure there’s a far simpler way to reproduce the problem but these steps will do it every time. Please note that taking these steps will not cause the problem on my laptop.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
Thanks for the additional data – I’m working on getting a machine here we can reproduce this on…

There was an issue where MS Intellipoint software was causing a crash in CS3. Do me a favor and try uninstalling the mouse driver software and see if the crash still occurs.

I’m still willing to bet that this issue is directly related to some hardware that’s been installed on the system (in your case either the mouse software or scanner software).

Do other people who are seeing this have scanners installed on their system? MS Intellipoint software?

I’d like to get this figured out ASAP.

Would someone be willing to contact me offlist and work directly with me on this? If so, email me on my non-work account: travlin_adam at yahoo dot com. Thanks.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 4, 2007
Again Adam, mine was on Beta, and with that:

I saw it both with MS mouse with Intellipoint and Logitech with their software. I also ran the Logitech on simple XP drivers with no difference, Logitech uninstalled.

Both are wireless.

I offer this because it seems the problem exists more or less the same on both releases.
BW
Bob_Weinberger
May 4, 2007
Adam,

I moved the Extensions folder out of the PS Plug-ins folder and it didn’t make a difference.

However, I have done more testing with different settings for Memory Usage in PS Preferences. I have 4GB of RAM in my XP Pro 32-bit system. I’m running with these switches in my Boot.ini file:
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2816 . PS reports 2414MB of available RAM and XP sees 3007MB. (I’m just using the fourth GB to heat the house). I had PS set to use 100% of it. That left almost 600MB for the rest of the system and was working fine with CS2.

Contrary to my earlier statement, changing the Memory Usage percentage does seem to affect the crash behavior. Moving usage down to 99% actually eliminates the crash with vertical images but not landscape ones. Moving it down to 95% (2317MB) eliminates both.

The .cr2 files are RAWs from a Canon 5D.
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 4, 2007
I have the following peripherals installed on my system:

Epson 4490 scanner
HP 7960 photo printer
HP G85 All-In-One Inkjet printer
Wacom Intuos 3 Graphics Tablet
Dual LCD Monitors (Dell 24" & Sony 15")
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Graphics Card (with latest drivers)
Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse drivers

I just now moved the extensions folder from plug-ins to my desktop and also removed all of my 3rd-party plugins. It took longer than before to make it crash, but Photoshop CS3 still crashed with the same error as mentioned before. On my system the crashes appear to be random, I cannot recreate them every time by doing the same action.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
Bob: using the /3GB switch with PS is officially unsupported – use it at your own risk (some things in your system may become unstable if you use it).

Others: Don’t bother moving the extensions folder – that is not the cause of this issue.

At this point I’d like people to let me know if they’re using MS Intellipoint software.

I’m thinking that may be the common thread here…
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 4, 2007
Adam,

Yes, I am using the MS Intellipoint software.

My system reports that I have driver version 6.2.292 dated 8/31/2006
BW
Bob_Weinberger
May 4, 2007
Adam,

I had Intellipoint 6.1 installed. I removed it and re-booted but am still crashing when memory usage is set to 100%. I know about the risks of the /3GB switch and tempered it with /userva=2816 to be conservative.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
A question…Is Adobe working on this? I have called the tech support a number of times but not sure how quickly they work. Do they really understand the problem? How long do they usually take on these matters? Very frustrating to only be able to use CS2 with the many changes found in CS3
thanks…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
Fredric,

Adobe is working on this, and with any luck the cause will be known before I leave work today. Do you have MS Intellipoint software installed on your system?

-Adam
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
I use the IntelliMouse Optical USB…do you think that is the culprit? Rick
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
It could be. Try uninstalling (or even better yet, updating if you don’t have the latest version) the Intellimouse software and see if the crash still occurs.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
I updated about two weeks ago…would uninstalling be better? Will try anything…
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
Sure try uninstalling the software. At worst, you can easily re-install it if it doesn’t resolve the crashes you’re seeing.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
What can I say? I did have the last update for my IntelliMouse (6.1) but it crashed. However, I un-installed the IntelliMouse software and…I have been using CS3 without a problem for the past 20 minutes!
A first!! Could it be..? I will keep truckin and hope for the best! Why me when that must be a very popular piece of software…and there are only sporadic crashes? Keeping my fingers crossed…
Rick
JF
Jim_Ferris
May 4, 2007
Per Adam’s instructions I also have uninstalled Intellimouse and have not yet had a crash with CS3. I have been using it for about 30 minutes now which is a new record on my system.

This looks promising.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
May 4, 2007
We now have a reproducible case of this crash in house (in house = in San Jose at Adobe headquarters).

I’d like to thank everyone who helped nail this, and suggest that if you are seeing the crash in MSVCR80.dll that you uninstall your Intellipoint software.

We’re debugging the crash now and should have a better idea if the bug is in our code or the MS mouse software at some point soon. If this is a MS bug, we’ll notify them about it ASAP.
ND
Nick_Decker
May 4, 2007
In any case, Adam, I salute you for being here and gettin’ on it.

8~)
JS
J.Smith
May 4, 2007
Great news Adam! I can confirm this as well without having to uninstall IntelliPoint. Simply kill the ipoint.exe process before launching CS3. The version I had installed was 6.10.156.0 (taken from "About Microsoft IntelliPoint" on the Mouse Properties panel). I have since uninstalled that version and downgraded back to IntelliPoint 5.50.661.0 and have not had any reoccurance of the MSCR80.DLL crasher.

For people who rely on certain features that IntelliPoint provides (like me), installing version 5.5 would be a good stopgap until a solution is found. Otherwise just uninstall it.

One tidbit of information to the developers that might help to finally squash this bug:

A new "feature" was added to IntelliPoint 6.x versions called "Instant Viewer". What this does is basically mimic the Quick View (Ctrl+Q) functionality found in Internet Explorer 7 for windows on the desktop. When Instant Viewer is invoked you see a tile of all your open windows with a tiny snapshot of the active content. The capturing of these snapshots I believe is what is causing the crash.
FY
Fredric_Young
May 4, 2007
Very impressive!! How did you find the correlation? How is the msvcr80.dll and the IntelliMouse related? Thank you!
Rick
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
Good work, Adam. 🙂
MP
Marie_Pelletier
May 5, 2007
I Just read this thread about 2 hours ago and uninstalled intelliPoint 6.0 as mentioned and now I haven’t crashed since. I will keep checking for a solution to reinstall intelliPoint when the problem will be resolved

Thanks for the help
Marie
SB
Steve_Barry
May 5, 2007
I am frustrated with the same problem, having been through Adobe’s support, cleaning and reinstalling PS3 to no avail, then through multiple levels of Microsoft support – running registry cleaners and other utilities with them.

The one thing that one of the senior Microsoft techs came up with is this which is related to the MSVCR80.dll issue and so far so good and no crashes.

Install C++ redistribution package. It’s not going to hurt anything and hopefully it will help.

< http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32b c1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&DisplayLang=en>

Good luck! Steve
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
Interesting Steve. I saw that and wondered if there was something there.

Is there a there there? Seems there is. 😀
MP
Marie_Pelletier
May 5, 2007
I just finished a job with CS3 since I posted last and I haven’t crashed since 🙂 My working day is over and now a break and happier than when I started with CS3
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
The Intellipoint problem: It’s real. It affects CS2 as well, but differently.

I have it because my preferred mouse, the Logitech 610, developed a problem. So I want out and bought the MS 6000. In the meantime, Logitech had a possible solution (and a much longer warranty!), so I tried their suggestion and reinstalled their software. Now the CS2 problem disappeared.

What was it? When I first open CS2 after booting or rebooting., I get a totally white screen, except for the shadow of the splash. It flits around, and many seconds later, finishes loading. Opening Bridge next is problematic so I quit CS2, start again, no white screen, I see the real screen and Bridge is happy.

No such special effects with Logitech!
BW
Bob_Weinberger
May 6, 2007
As I have also posted in the Lightroom forum, the Intellipoint 6.1 drivers also seem to cause blank screens to appear in Lightroom slideshows. Since rolling back to 5.5, this problem has been fixed for me.
D
DibDib
May 7, 2007
Intellipoint is definitely broken. Version 4.1 used to work with all games, every version after it has been busted. Unfortunately Vista forces the upgrade to the current 6.2 so I can’t get by installing my old drivers any more. Spent all day on the phone yesterday with MS trying to alert them to these problems and they weren’t exactly receptive to hearing this information, and this is despite being able to tell them exactly how to reproduce the issue, how to work around it (involved crashing most games though), plus having purchased over a dozen MS trackballs over the years which translates to quite a bit of money.

Maybe Adobe will have better luck getting them to release a new version, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ll still be broken for gaming.

It’s nice to know that Adobe listens to people though, knowing that the issue has been unravelled makes me feel a lot better about the couple times CS3 crashed on me and the things I had to redo after the fact.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
The answer to MS is Logitech.

Now if they can fix the button problem….
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
Now if they can fix the button problem….

what button problem larry? (if you already posted it, can you throw a link in so i can find it quick?)
J
jonl0711
May 7, 2007
Turn off anti-virus software and all other software that is not needed and then check if the crashing happens. I’ve had programs that crashed mainly due to Norton and other anti-virus software.

J
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
I have the left button doing contact bounce, and the catch circuit isn’t working properly (if there is one). So, I get random double clicks, sometimes when I press down, sometime on release. That’s why I suspect a catch circuit.

I would hate to have the AV disabled as a cure, unless you are always off line and never import a file from anybody!
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
huh? is that post in english? 🙂 so you’re saying it’s a hardware problem right?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 7, 2007
Me, I’ve got two Logitech MX1000 mice — when one has its battery run down, I just swap, press a couple of buttons, and bob’s yer uncle. If one has a hardware problem like that I’ll just use the other one. My two mice are identical models, but one has hard clicks on the scroll wheel and the other is soft. Strange. I prefer the soft scroll wheel clicks.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
Appears so. I tested it out on a second computer with only native MS drivers. Same thing.

All switches do this. The contact closes (or opens)tentatively at first, causing a close-open final close sequence. The effect is called Contact Bounce, pretty much self-explanatory. The micro switches in mice are engineered to minimize it but the best devises have a circuit similar to what is known as a Schmidt trigger, a circuit common in oscilloscopes. Once it detects a closure, it holds it closed even if the switch opens momentarily.

I don’t know for certain this is the way it’s done, but if I were doing it….

Of course, other circuitry may exist that does the same thing similar to the Schmidt.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
mike, i’ve got the mx1000 too. best mouse evah! (wish i had bought 2!)
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
May 7, 2007
ipoint.exe has been the cause of crashes using brushes in CS3 on my system. It also affects the startup screen in both CS2 and CS3. I have also encountered screen flicker/jumping in Quark XPress.

I have uninstalled the Intellimouse software and the crashing and screen issues have gone.

My mouse still works, but the magnifier button and other enhanced features don’t, which I don’t mind since the crashes and erratic screen jumping have disappeared.

XP64
CS2 and CS3 (not betas)
8GB RAM / nVidia FX 4500 / 2x dual core Xeons
Was using the latest 64-bit Intellimouse drivers
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
Yeah, now my MS mouse at $80, has been reduced to a $20 mouse!

The 610 is essentially the same as the 1000 without the rechargables.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
that’s good and bad. after a couple years now, my use time is down to less than a week before i need to recharge. used to be about 3 weeks +.

I don’t think the batteries are user replacable.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
2 weeks to new batteries.

Thank god for the Dollar Tree. sometimes I caqn get 8 (eight) batteries for a buck. I can always get 4.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
tried lithium ion larry?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 7, 2007
I’m not sure the voltage is high enough. The battery bad indicator is set high enough that calls that fail the mouse still run flashlights quite well.

AA cells are 1.55 and most othere are 1.2.

I’ll give them a try, as my son-in-law has several and a charger.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2007
arent’t the charged ones ni-cad? lithium’s are expensive (about 15 bux for 4) but last a long long time! might be worth a test…
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2007
Li-Ion, dave?

The charge-discharge cycle has to be well controlled, so I don’t think I want to mess with those unless it comes self contained to handle it’s use in general terms. Li-ions are dedicated batteries, AFAIK.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
Li-ions are dedicated batteries, AFAIK.

yea, that’s what i’m talking about. they’re not rechargable. a little expensive and last in my camera for almost a year while i go through energizers in about a week.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2007
They are quite rechargable. And yes, the energy per unit anything is far better than most other batteries.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery>
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
May 8, 2007
I purchased a new Intellipoint mouse about a month ago and since then my computer has been acting very strangely. When playing videos in WMP the monitor would flicker or snap(like when degaussed). I even re-installed my video drivers and still it kept doing it.I tried the CS3 beta/trial and I kept getting the MSVCR80.dll ERROR/Crash. Last week my computer has actually began to crash! I have had 4 BSOD with no particular driver or system file mentioned. My memory is brand new as my hard drive so I’m suspecting this Microsoft Intellipoint is the culprit. I just wanted to share my experience! 🙂
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 8, 2007
Sounds like a good reason to go Logitech.
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
May 8, 2007
But I just got a new mouse! LOL

CS3 is unusable for me. It crashes on nearly every move whether its moving an image, cropping or creating layers. Has anyone contacted Microsoft??? Or Adobe??? Something needs to be done quickly.
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2007
you CAN run any mouse without the special software.
DN
D_Neill-Mareci
May 8, 2007
I am also having constant crashes that are linked to mscvr80.dll. I used the CS3 beta for four months with infrequent and intermittent crashes. I had to reload WinXP Prof SP2 last week due to a failing harddrive so there is no data on my notebook, just applications with plenty of RAM (2 Gigs) and harddrive space. I have tried it with both a Wacom tablet enabled and a laser wireless mouse- same problem. It has been particularly constant when converting PDF files into TIFs- as I was trying to do last night- setting up files for a printer so his RIP would be happy. It converted the files fine but would crash when saving the TIF to the data disk (external notebook harddrive). There were no extra plug-ins installed. I have been unable to isolate what is causing these crashes except for a basic coding problem within Photoshop and possibly WinXP. I believe there is a flaw in the coding of Photoshop CS3. I have finally had to remove CS3 and return to CS2 Photoshop- while leaving the rest of CS3 Design Premium on my system. The rest of the suite seems to be running fine. I am very glad that they will run along side each other and I do not have to remove the entire suite. Please encourage everyone to report this to Adobe and Microsoft so a solution can be found.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 8, 2007
As Dave says. Simply uninstal the MS software and run the mouse on native MS drivers. Does it change the behavior? It did for me.
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
May 8, 2007
I have also discovered another issue. I use Windowblinds(gotta have that Vista look!) but if you don’t disable skinning for CS3 you can’t close windows(projects). Anyone else have this problem???
DH
Dennis_Hohmann
May 9, 2007
Justin, I have a similiar issue: I use the "Luna Royale" Theme for Windows and it’s very hard to find the correct mouse position for closing the Windows (Projects).

And same problem with IntelliPoint here… 🙁 I won’t uninstall it because I use some options.
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
May 9, 2007
After 4 hours of editing photos and creating a new project everything seems to be working fine. No hiccups or anything so it has to be Intellipoint(or the interaction between it and CS3) that’s the problem. Make sure you clean out the registry after uninstalling Intellipoint as well just to be sure.
PM
paul_marvuglio
May 11, 2007
Tried the solution rolled back my mouse. nothing changed except bridge now fails regulary wit CS#. never had this problem with CS2.

Adobe is over reaching and has for all intensive purposes delivered the beta under the guise of a refined program. The program is usless in this trim and should be recalled or fixed immediately.

Cs 2 worked with the same operating system and mouse. You can’t blame microsoft for adobe’s short commings Maybe the suite concept which was revolutionary in the board room and the marketing department isn’t the charmer in the market place.

Haven’t invested this much time in a program since the DOS days.

Early adopters should get a rebate or the opportunity to return the program.
M
M._Beltrame
May 17, 2007
Hello!

I use 16 bit images and have the same issues. CS3 crashes all the time, especially when moving windows around: is just terminates with the Windows message which prompts me to send an error notification to Microsoft.

Fact is I don’t find it related to Intellimouse. It happens on 2 PCs of mine: one has a Logitech trackball, and the other one has a Microsoft mouse with native drivers.

Michele.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 17, 2007
No, that’s not the mouse. I saw that on the Beta, and a "missing" dll fixed it. I say missing in quotes, as in another thread, it was pointed out that the dll was actually in another location. Nontheless, downloading it and installing it in the System 32 folder fixed it. I no longer have that difficulty in the released version of CS3, but maybe it’s because that dll still exists in the system 32 folder.

Michele, go to the error log and tell me what it says. Go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>Application. You will see an error message. Open it and see if it refers to a dll problem. If not, what does it say? Do this the moment You see the error message in PS.
TD
Tim_Downing
May 18, 2007
We’ll, I too was pulling my hair out and severely frustrated/disappointed that my NEW Adobe CS3 was performing worse than my comfy old CS2, mainly because Photoshop was pretty much unusable due to its constant crashing!

BUT, due to advise I took from this thread, I un-installed Microsoft Intelli-Point 6 and reinstalled Intelli-point 5.5 and have not had a single crash since. (*fingers crossed* that I haven’t just jinxed it now)

So, thanks everyone for the help. And if anyone is still having issues, Intelli-point 6 would be the first place I’d start.
ND
Nick_Decker
May 18, 2007
Early adopters should get a rebate or the opportunity to return the program.

Well, you do have 30 days to get a refund. If, after reading in here for a while, you can’t find a fix, get your money back.
SB
Steve_Barry
May 18, 2007
I also un-installed Intellipoint 6 and have not had a crash since then, knock on wood. I’ve been using CS3 pretty heavily for production work, so hopefully a cure has been found, at least for some.

Steve
JS
Jim_Stewart
May 19, 2007
I just installed CS3 yesterday and ran into many random crashes, whereas CS2 never crashed on the exact same system. My machine has intellipoint 5.5 drivers installed. I will try killing ipoint.exe before starting PS3 to see if that helps.
JS
Jim_Stewart
May 20, 2007
It still crashes even with ipoint.exe killed. Here is the stack trace if it helps at all. The symbols are right for the XP code, but not for the Photoshop code. It looks like photo shop is accessing a bad memory location – since eax does not map to a valid location.

00f37830 8108000000ff or dword ptr [eax],0xff000000 ds:0023:0023f2a0=????????

ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child

0013e63c 7c90e9ab 7c863764 00000002 0013e79c ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet (FPO: [0,0,0]) 0013e640 7c863764 00000002 0013e79c 00000001 ntdll!ZwWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc (FPO: [5,0,0]) 0013ed98 7c8436da 0013edc0 7c839b09 0013edc8 kernel32!UnhandledExceptionFilter+0x8e4 (FPO: [Non-Fpo])
0013eda0 7c839b09 0013edc8 00000000 0013edc8 kernel32!BaseProcessStart+0x39 (FPO: [Non-Fpo]) 0013edc8 7c9037bf 0013eeb4 0013ffe0 0013eed0 kernel32!_except_handler3+0x61 (FPO: [Uses EBP] [3,0,7])
0013edec 7c90378b 0013eeb4 0013ffe0 0013eed0 ntdll!ExecuteHandler2+0x26 0013ee9c 7c90eafa 00000000 0013eed0 0013eeb4 ntdll!ExecuteHandler+0x24 0013ee9c 00f37830 00000000 0013eed0 0013eeb4 ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher+0xe (FPO: [2,0,0]) (CONTEXT @ 0013eed0)
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong. 0013f1f0 00f3c65a 0f9003da 0a6ec4a0 0f9003da Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xaf6da0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xafbbca

0:000> .cxr 0013eed0
eax=0023f2a0 ebx=0023f2a0 ecx=00000377 edx=fffff224 esi=00000377 edi=000002ad eip=00f37830 esp=0013f19c ebp=00000299 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na po nc cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00210206 Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xaf6da0:
00f37830 8108000000ff or dword ptr [eax],0xff000000 ds:0023:0023f2a0=????????
JS
Jim_Stewart
May 20, 2007
I uninstalled Intellipoint, rebooted the machine and ran PS3 again. After some time, it AV’d in the same spot exactly. I don’t think this could be due to intellipoint, at least not on my machine. Both times it AV’d while simply dragging an open document. The document had two layers – one of the layers had been cut and dragged from another open file. I think I will go back to CS2 until this problem is resolved.

0:000> kv
ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child
0013e63c 7c90e9ab 7c863764 00000002 0013e79c ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet (FPO: [0,0,0]) 0013e640 7c863764 00000002 0013e79c 00000001 ntdll!ZwWaitForMultipleObjects+0xc (FPO: [5,0,0]) 0013ed98 7c8436da 0013edc0 7c839b09 0013edc8 kernel32!UnhandledExceptionFilter+0x8e4 (FPO: [Non-Fpo])
0013eda0 7c839b09 0013edc8 00000000 0013edc8 kernel32!BaseProcessStart+0x39 (FPO: [Non-Fpo]) 0013edc8 7c9037bf 0013eeb4 0013ffe0 0013eed0 kernel32!_except_handler3+0x61 (FPO: [Uses EBP] [3,0,7])
0013edec 7c90378b 0013eeb4 0013ffe0 0013eed0 ntdll!ExecuteHandler2+0x26 0013ee9c 7c90eafa 00000000 0013eed0 0013eeb4 ntdll!ExecuteHandler+0x24 0013ee9c 00f37830 00000000 0013eed0 0013eeb4 ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher+0xe (FPO: [2,0,0]) (CONTEXT @ 0013eed0)
WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong. 0013f1f0 00f3c65a 07990cd4 0a4b9468 07990cd4 Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xaf6da0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xafbbca

0:000> .cxr 0013eed0
eax=003a8540 ebx=003a8540 ecx=00000497 edx=ffffeda4 esi=00000497 edi=00000331 eip=00f37830 esp=0013f19c ebp=00000331 iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz na pe nc cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00210202 Photoshop!ExifTagList::operator=+0xaf6da0:
00f37830 8108000000ff or dword ptr [eax],0xff000000 ds:0023:003a8540=????????
IK
Ishaq_Khan
May 22, 2007
Hi Every body I use Adobe Phoposhope 7.0. I want to make a animaion srreen that contain image as well as appears with slow motion.

Help me
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 22, 2007
Ishaq, your post has no connection with the topic. Start your own topic for an unrelated question. And look through the help screens, manual, and google search results first.
V
vrell42
May 22, 2007
Hi,

I am having the msvcr80.dll crash issue as well,"Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8. 0.50727.163_x-ww_39049d00\MFC80U.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully." but no MS mouse, just a Wacom Intuos3 tablet and wacom drivers.

Virus programs etc dont seem to have any impact. Also monitoring mem usage, PS does not seem to release memory and I have had many crashes closing PS with "not enough memory for clipboard" messages. This is on a system with 4G ram.
D
dadj77
May 22, 2007
I am having so much crashes and redraw problems that it’s impossible to work with the cs3 version.. I dont have a MS mouse and thus no intellipoint software. I have an intuos 3 A5 wide, 2 monitors (a 24" dell lcd, and a 22"lacie crt), a logitech laser mouse, 3gb ram, 3.75GHz Intel P4, ATI x850 videocard with 256Mb and running xp pro (32bit).

I have turned off font previews which seems (not 100% sure of its effect) to cause the redraw problems to occur a little later then with it on. turning off one of the monitors sometimes help too for a while but just a while, no real sollution.
I have updated my video and intuos drivers, turned off suitcase and all extra programs running but nothing solves the issue.. Having Skype active DOES seem to cause PS to start having problems faster!

am really suprised about the way PS cs3 is acting up! have been using PS since version 2.5 and never saw a release this unstable! Even the beta was more stable!

Could you adobe guys and galls at least let us know if you are seriously looking into the problem , let alone have an idea where the problem may lie?
MB
mike_burrell
May 22, 2007
I need a cigarette…and I don’t even smoke! I’m about to pull my hair out because of the instability of this program!! HELP!!!!

Event Viewer – Application Error Log Details:
—–
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 5/22/2007
Time: 3:09:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: IT-MBURRELL
Description:
Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.163, fault address 0x0000892c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp>.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 70 68 6f ure pho
0018: 74 6f 73 68 6f 70 2e 65 toshop.e
0020: 78 65 20 31 30 2e 30 2e xe 10.0.
0028: 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 6d 0.0 in m
0030: 73 76 63 72 38 30 2e 64 svcr80.d
0038: 6c 6c 20 38 2e 30 2e 35 ll 8.0.5
0040: 30 37 32 37 2e 31 36 33 0727.163
0048: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0050: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 38 et 00008
0058: 39 32 63 0d 0a 92c..
—–
Time: 2:27:06 PM
Description:
Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.163, fault address 0x0000892c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp>.
Data:
—–
Time: 9:36:38 AM
Description:

Data:
BS
Brad_Stiritz
May 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

I would like to add my own CS3 crash experiences with to this thread. I have suffered more program crashes in both PS CS3 and Bridge CS3 since installing a few weeks ago, than I did in the prior several years running CS and CS2.

I "do not" have MS Intellipoint installed. I have opened a tech support case with Adobe, and have been disappointed to hear back that I should check my video driver, and follow the troubleshooting guide, which ultimately suggests reinstalling PS.

As we’ve all seen in this thread, several posters have reinstalled PS and/or Windows, and are still experiencing program crashes. IMHO, it is disingenuous and unfriendly of Adobe to continue to ask users to do this (mostly useless) grunt work, especially when it concerns top-priority issues (i.e., program error / crash).

At this point, a better approach would arguably be to have the front-line techs collect a few dozen crash reports and then assign a PS team analyst and/or programmer to dig into those reports. This would be classic problem solving. More expensive, but more effective.

Respectfully submitted,

Brad
CR
Chris_Roske
May 23, 2007
I too am having difficulties in getting CS3 to work.
The installation seems to go well. But after that when I try to open a file I get some message having to many files open.
There is only one file I’m try to open. After this PS freezes and I have to crl-alt-del it to death. I have uninstalled, cleaned reg files, and any left over "shared" files I can find. I reinstall and the same thing occurs. Now what!
D
dadj77
May 23, 2007
hm, here’s something to look into, after settind the pdf printer as default printer photoshop was a lot more stable, then as soon as i launched skype photoshop directly responded with redraw problems and then dissapearing completely without any error warning..
DM
dave_milbut
May 23, 2007
go to control panel> display> settings> advanced> trouble shooting and turn down/off hardware acceleration. if that fixes it dadj77, you have a buggy display driver.
D
dadj77
May 24, 2007
I seriously doubt that. i have been using this workstation for 1.5 years for design, video editing and effects, music design and 3D and not a SINGLE program has any problems whatsoever. Its the new photoshop has serious issues not my workstation
JJ
John_Joslin
May 24, 2007
You could still try what Dave said though.

In fault diagnosis, even a negative is a step forward.

And bigger and better systems than yours have been found wanting when put to the Photoshop test!
D
dadj77
May 24, 2007
well im not exactly the only one with these problems am i? would be nice if the adobe guys would give some feedback, im sure they must be pulling out some hairs by now.

Sorry if i sound frustrated, but photoshop has always been my "baby" and now its very sick and the doctors seem to look the other way after they caused it.. they should feel more responsable. its not exactly a $15 program is it?
JJ
John_Joslin
May 24, 2007
Ironically, with a $15 program you’d probably get more reaction from those responsible.

But I guess they are beavering away on a major patch (or two) as we speak.
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2007
I seriously doubt that.

ok then. nighty night.

(could be that a new version of photoshop is using a newer feature of the cards or drivers that the vid card makers are supposed to support. could be that in some cases that support was implimented incorrectly. i seriously doubt you could understand that though.)

*_plonk_*
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2007
friendly..

just what i thought.
JS
Jim_Stewart
May 25, 2007
On my machine with debugger hooked up it indicates the problem is clearly in the Photoshop code. Potentially there are multiple problems here and Adobe is having quite a time sorting them all out.
L
LanceH
May 26, 2007
wow, i’m not alone anymore. i remember searching for info on this after first installing CS3 and there was not much to be found.

want to note that CS3 runs perfectly on my desktop computer. but it is my laptop that crashes due to this msvcr80.dll (always the .163 version in the WinSxS directory).

can work on small low res images, sometimes successfully. but forget 16 bit or even full sized JPEGs from my DSLR. always happens when changing views or moving images on screen. but also seems to happen at random for no apparent reason.

like many of you, i sure hope Adobe fixes this mess soon.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 26, 2007
What sort of debugger? Are you Adobe, Jim?

Geeze, the only problem I have is Bridge hanging in Processes and not exiting.
DM
dave_milbut
May 26, 2007
it indicates the problem is clearly in the Photoshop code.

does it? does it indicate that photoshop is failing? could the fail be due to outside code that photoshop accesses? could the fail be due to hardware that photoshop accesses? could you only be seeing the RESULT of the failure in photoshop rather that the failure itself?

(rhetorical <http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?&va=rhetorical>)
M
M._Beltrame
May 27, 2007
Hello Lawrence & other!

My frequent crashes seem not to be related to a DLL, as from the Event Log I see that the error is of photoshop.exe version 10.0.0.0, and the address is 000b37830.

What is this? 😉

Thanks,
Michele.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 27, 2007
Are you using the Microsoft mouse with it’s current drivers? I saw the same error along with the missing dll error message. Since completely uninstalling the MS mouse software, I do not have either.

You can uninstall the MS software and still use the mouse.

FWIW, I had to get a warranty replacement for the unit because it had a bad battery charging problem. I decided to not use it because of the problems with software. Today, I got a call from the company that takes care of warranty problems for MS, told them I did not install it because of the software problems with Photoshop. They acknowledgedd the existence of the conflict, but had no answer.

At least they areacknowledgingng it!
FN
Fred_Nirque
May 27, 2007
They must be causing your keyboard to stutter as well, Larry 😉
DB
Dick_Brewster
May 28, 2007
Lawrence, I’ve been putting off doing anything because I figure the problem is big enough that it will cause Adobe to eventually fix-it, but your solution sounds promising.

What Intellimouse functionality do you lose when you get rid of the drivers?
L
LanceH
May 28, 2007
just want to give a thumbs up to uninstalling Intellipoint drivers. Problem solved on my Dell Laptop.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 28, 2007
LOL, Fred! How’d I miss that!

Dick, your mouse now becomes an ordinary one, run on MS native drivers.

Someone posted that an earlier driver does not cause problems.

Stay tuned.

Thhhhats aalll folks!!!!

(Stupid spwell chwecker!)
A
Aloalo
May 30, 2007
Hi guys,

I’m not using intellimouse or installed any intellipoint drivers. But still having those annoying crashes with ps cs3.

like this:

Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x0007d4c8.

then..

The procedure entry point SymSetSymWithAddr64 cound not be located in the dynamic link library DBGHELP.dll

Did a little search,..installed latest version of windbg…but still no go.

Haven’t had any crashes like this with ps cs2. I bought cs3 NOT because of this. So I hope ADOBE fix this soon!
In the meantime I guess I’ll stuck with ps cs2….
DB
Dick_Brewster
May 31, 2007
I was having the msvcr80.dll crash problems.

Sort of following Lawrences suggestion…

I disabled the Intellimouse drivers in MSCONFIG instead of removing them.

So far, so good. Previously, I was able to reliably make it crash in less than 5 minutes by loading six 350k jpg files with Files/Scripts/Load Files into Stack and doing some manual moving of layers to line them up.

With the Intellimouse drivers disabled in MSCONFIG, no more problems after 30 minutes of playing with up to twelve 3 Meg files in the stack. Previously I couldn’t handle that size stack at all.

FWIW, I still have itype for my MS 6000 wireless keyboard installed.

I will play some more and report back if I have further problems.

A thank you to all who have gone before me trying to make CS3 work.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 31, 2007
The Logitech 610 mouse is much better all around than the MS, except it needs battery replacement.
KH
Kim_Huff
May 31, 2007
I too have been having problems with crashes but I am not sure it is the same as everyone else.

I have a new custom built laptop with an AMD 1.8 duo core processor, 2 gb of ram, 100 gb seagate sata 7200 rpm drive, linksys wireless n adapter, 17 monitor, MS trackball, xp pro sp2, web cam, and a card reader.

The problem I am having is every time I open more than one file/image, whether it be File/Open select several files and click on OPEN. Or, Open one file and then go back and open another, PS crashes everytime it tries to open that second file. I get a screen asking me to report to MS or to debug. The other tech info includes:

AppName: photoshop.exe
AppVer: 10.0.0.0
ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180

I have searched this forum and google but i cant seem to find anyone with the same set of error messages as me. I found some that matched the AppName, AppVer, ModVer and Offset, but the ModName was not the same as mine in every instance.

I did see the issues with the MS mouse and although I dont see the intellimouse software loaded on this machine, I unplugged my mouse and used the touchpad and the same thing happened

Does anyone have any suggestions. There is no way I can use this version if I can only use one file at a time.. no matter how many nice features are included. 🙁

Thank you in advance,

Kim
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 1, 2007
update the rest of the drivers. video. sound. etc. something’s funky somewhere.
KH
Kim_Huff
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I did some more searching, unfortunately AFTER I posted that message and found someone else was having a problem too. It was mentioned to put the Adobe PDF printer as the default and it fixed the problem. This too worked for me!! I just hope someone has figured out a fix. I definitely dont want to keep ADOBE PDF as my default printer. 😉

Thank you,

Kim
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 1, 2007
I have my Canon i9900 as the only printer and no problems.

Kim, do you have a real printer attached? If not, maybe CS3 demands a printer and calls Adobe PDF as a "printer".
KH
Kim_Huff
Jun 1, 2007
Hi LH and thanks for the reply.

I have two printers installed on this laptop. One is a TCP/IP copier/printer that is plugged into our router with a static IP address. The brand name is a Gestetner MPC2500/DSc525 PCL 6.

The other printer is an HP Laserjet 1320n. It too has a static TCP/IP connection and is connected as a wifi printer.

I still have one more printer to install but at this point I guess I will hold off.

IF Adobe does demand a "real" printer, why would that prohibit me from opening more than one file if it doesnt find the one it wants. Is your Canon printer set as the default?

DG, were you able to find a fix for this problem?

Thank you again,

Kim
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 1, 2007
It is simply set as Canon i9900 with a checkmark in a black box. No "Default" indicated. I suppose if I had more than one, a default would be indicated. In the past, that is simply the checkmark to show the active one.

Is default assumed or stated in so many words?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 1, 2007
that is simply the checkmark to show the active one.

No, it means "Default" and always has in XP. Can’t remember how it was in NT4.
S
stevent
Jun 3, 2007
PS crashes fairly often for me; with the details saying it is msvcr80.dll at fault.

However I don’t have any printers installed. and usually don’t have the print spooler service running either, unless I’m working in Indesign, as it won’t start without it.
BS
Brad_Stiritz
Jun 3, 2007
Hi Kim,

The problem I am having is every time I open more than one file/image, whether it be File/Open select several files and click on OPEN. Or, Open one file and then go back and open another, PS crashes everytime it tries to open that second file.

Does anyone have any suggestions. There is no way I can use this version if I can only use one file at a time.. no matter how many nice features are included.

I’ve experienced the same kind of problem. What happens in my case is, I have one file open "maximized" (by double-clicking the image title bar). Then I open another file, and it appears in front of the first file. If I click back and forth between the two files in a certain way (haven’t boiled it down yet), PS crashes.

The workaround I’ve found is to minimize the 2nd image, then resize the 1st image, then restore the 2nd image window.

Hope this helps.

Brad
KH
Kim_Huff
Jun 3, 2007
Brad,

I havent had any problems since I changed my printer. What printers do you have installed?

Steve.. what if you have your print spooler on when you are in photoshop… does it work then? I thought I read something in this forum that PS needed to access a printer like InDesign. Just a thought. I am very green with all of this, I only know what has been going on with me and have read about a lot of other issues.

Kim
DB
Dick_Brewster
Jun 4, 2007
Stevent, As I posted a few days ago, I killed Intellimouse using MSCONFIG and it fixed my msvcr80.dll problem without even removing the drivers. I still haven’t had another CS3 crash several days later.

It sounds like there are other problems with CS3, but killing various things in MSCONFIG is so easy that it’s worth a try.

I’m confident Adobe will eventually get their act together enough to keep CS3 from crashing every time someone blows their nose, but in the mean time, we are on our own.

Please experiment and give us some feedback, perhaps the solutions will come from the users before they work their way out of the Adobe.
S
stevent
Jun 4, 2007
I don’t have an Intellimouse.

With a printer installed, and the Print spooler service running PS still manages to crash – msvcr80.dll everytime.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2007
annoying forum bug, if i start with an small "i" the text is italic and no "i" to be seen..)

it’s a feature! 🙂

<http://www.adobeforums.com/Images/help/edithelp.htm>

I dont have ANY MS Intellipoint drivers on my system and still experience the crashes allll the time..

what kind of errors? have you looked in the event log? (control panel> admin tools> event viewer)
360texas
Jun 6, 2007
the name of that C++ file I downloaded and installed was vcredist_x86.exe seems its a C++ 2005 item. Is this the file you installed from the MS URL??

If it is.. issue is : start CS3 go find and select 6 images. Load images… then get the termination err… send err report to MS [YES]

and yes I have both intellipoint wireless keyboard and mouse 6000.

Yes have been watching the Windows Error Reporting log all morning…

Still getting

Faulting application photoshop.exe version 10.0.0.0 faulting module msvcr80.dll version 8.0.50727.163, fault address 0x000092c.&#000d;&x000a

dave still @360texas.com
360texas
Jun 6, 2007
still having photoshop crash issues. I did update bridge to 2.1.0.100. Photoshop still says version is 10.0

Opened bridge selected 1 photo told it to open in PSCS3 and it did.. and PSCS3 promptly crashed.
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Jun 6, 2007
Hi Dave

Have you uninstalled your mouse software?

I am not having any issues with PSCS3 at all now. I loaded ten images and no crashing – just PSCS3 asking if I really want to open 10 images.

The error message I got was similar to yours:

Uninstalling the mouse software and installing the MS C++ runtimes fixed everything for me – including issues with other apps.

Good luck.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2007
I agree, esp. with the ms response, if you’re running the intellipoint drivers you should remove them from the system immediately until a fix is released by MS.
360texas
Jun 6, 2007
I now concur. I have both the wireless intelli keyboard and mouse. From the add/remove uninstalled the MS intellipoint mouse only. Installed my old wired ps2 mouse. Wireless keyboard still works, and now PS3 works with the ps2 mouse.

After 1 day of non productive time… we now wait for MS to get their drivers to work.

Ill check back after a few days [read maybe years] for the good news that new drivers are available.

By the way.. the intellipoint mouse driver that appears not to work with PSCS3 is version 6.10.155.0

Thanks for y’alls help today.

Dave still at 360Texas.com
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2007
cheers dave. maybe you should report it too. the more reports they get the more urgent they’re likely to deem getting a fix out…
360texas
Jun 6, 2007
agreed.. done !
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 6, 2007
DB
Dick_Brewster
Jun 7, 2007
Dave, at least in my case, merely disabling "ipoint" by unchecking it in the mscongig startup section fixed my CS3 MSVCR80.DLL frequent crash problem. The wireless mouse is still functional too.

So far I have at least 6 hours of CS3 time with no crashes. 5 minutes was a good run doing heavy work before I disabled ipoint.

Dick
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2007
cool, good news. still, i’d want the wonky drivers off my system. i have a logitech mx1000 and have had probs w/a couple of newer drivers. as the mouse driver isn’t the most important piece of sw on my system (contrary to what the mouse manufacturers want you to think <rolling eyes>) i went back to an older version that had all the functionality i wanted and none of the bugs and it stays that way. no updating that driver for me unless i FIND a bug! i’ve saved it and have reloaded it across several upgrades and reformats.

currently at logitech setpoint driver 2.40.855.0 dated Saturday, July 16, 2005, 2:40:02 AM.

"if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!" 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 7, 2007
My setpoint is later and is a stellar performer.
A
akamai
Jun 7, 2007
if you are using Microsoft intellipoint mouse uninstall the software for the mouse fixes this for most people
RK
Rick_Khanna
Jun 8, 2007
I’m also getting crashes at random points when using the software (Design Premium CS3). Only Photoshop crashes.

ModName: msvcr80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.163
Offset: 0000892c
(whatever this stuff means)

I have a 3.44Ghz cpu, and 2GB or RAM.

I also have a MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. Will uninstalling Intellipoint software lose functionality of all the buttons? I am very attached to the ‘back’ button for browsing. 🙂

I also have Intuos3

I hope Adobe releases a patch because I have work to do and I am always doing paranoid excessive saving now.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 8, 2007
Unfortunately getting rid of Intellipoint reduces the mouse to a slug.

It’s a factor between MS and Adobe.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 8, 2007
has anyone with the intellemouse driver problems tried with an OLDER version (or even a couple versions back) of the driver?
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 8, 2007
Joining the ranks of the frustrated here. I am not sure what to do to help at this point, but will post my info for correlation purposes.

I am experiencing very frequent crash with only bug report to MicroSoft. Does anyone know conclusively that Adobe gets the reports sent to MS?

The file I am editing is quite large 16bcc PSB just over 4GB. No problem editing this using older version Ps CS. Is this happening on both versions of PS CS3? I am running the Extended version.

System Specifications
=====================
GPU = nVidia 6800 Ultra – Version: 93.71 Date: November 2, 2006 WHQL Certified OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790
System Type x64-based PC
Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3600 Mhz Total Physical Memory 6,142.73 MB

Steven Bland
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 8, 2007
.. . . adendum . . .

I am using both intellemouse and Wacom latest drivers.

Wow, this is the PERFECT place to use a WIKKI! Everyone could contribute to the wikki and totals could tally. We could see how many of us are using which OS, drivers, etc

With a WIKKI, the correlation would just grow WEB 2.0 style! Otherwise with this forum thread we get a conglomeration of facts that accumilate in a disorderly fashon.

I am new to wikki’s, so does anyone know how to make this happen?

Steven Bland
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Jun 8, 2007
Dave,

I installed the older 5.5 intellipoint drivers and still have issues, the scroll wheel doesn’t function properly and there are intermittent glitches where the screen moves vertically in both directions involuntarily.

I have uninstalled all intellipoint software now and I am having no issues using the wireless optical mouse with the native Windows drivers. I just don’t have any of the advanced functionality. I can live with that.

I’m leaving things be for the time being. If it ain’t broke….

XP PRO x64
Intuos 3 wide
WS690 w/Xeon 3.73 proc / 8GB FB/ECC/RAM
nVidia Quadro FX 4500
and a crappy MS mouse
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 8, 2007
The fix is Logitech 610 mouse! Software and Hardware.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jun 8, 2007
Dave, watch your snail mail next week. 🙂
KS
Kenneth_Seidman
Jun 8, 2007
I’m not at home to double check, but I am pretty sure my Intellimouse driver is version 5.4. I’ve been running CS3 w/o any problems since I installed it last weekend. My wireless mouse behaves the way it did under CS. I also am using the Wacom Intuos 3, no problems.

Ken
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 9, 2007
Jacqui,

Very interesting that you observe the video twitch with photoshop. I have been seeing that in Premiere CS3 beta. Must be in common code.

Steven Bland
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 9, 2007
Getting:

AppName: photoshop.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.0 ModName: msvcr80.dll ModVer: 8.0.50727.163 Offset: 0000892c

both with GPU acceleration on or off.

Very frustrating because it is happening so frequently that I can not get my work done using CS3.

Steven Bland
JD
Jacqui_Dervan
Jun 9, 2007
Steve

That is the exact same error I was having with XP64 and it was related to the intellimouse software. You have to uninstall/disable it.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 10, 2007
Dave, watch your snail mail next week.

sir yes sir! 🙂

(beware of engineers bearing gifts? 😉 )

jacqui, thanks for trying anyway. was worth a shot!

steve b, the temporary solution seems to be removing/disabling the intellipoint drivers, in case you missed that.

jeez how annoying! i agree w/larry, i’ve had less problems with logitech pointing devices than i ever did with ms. hoping for your guys sake that ms fixes it’s bug(s?) soon!

dave
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 10, 2007
Ok, you guys ROCK!

Uninstall of the software:
.. Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1 64-bit for Windows XP

indeed cured the problem!

How in the world did you guys find this software to be the root cause? I did not realize that an application like Ps is so suseptable to other software running on the system. It is actually a little scarry since there are so many drivers and applications running to make the whole system work . . . and to think that any one can be the demise of another, really scarry! Am I getting alarmed for no good reason?

Would be sweet to discover that the IntelliPoint software is the reason I have had so many issues with Premiere 2.0 and the CS3 beta.

A million thank you’s!
Steven Bland
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 10, 2007
Quite a few users have reported this problem, and the associated solution, on this very forum.

"Forum Search" is a wonderful thing.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 10, 2007
Quite a few users have reported this problem, and the associated solution, on this very forum.

great john. thanks. now i have a box of cards with "photoshop psychic" printed on them that i have to return! 😛
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 10, 2007
Oops!
MF
Michael_Foggin
Jun 11, 2007
Folks,

Will try the Intellipoint uninstall to see whether this helps, but additionally I spent a few hours yesterday trying to figure out what installed version 8.0.50727.163 of the DLL.

Closest I could figure was that according to info in my "Add / Remove Programs" list, the date / time that the folder under WinSxs was created correlates to the installation of the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool".

Needless to say this update can’t be removed so I can’t test it. I don’t know if this matches anyone elses experience; if it is it might be another lead for the Adobe Tech guys to chase down.

Thanks for the intellipoint heads up though; will report back as to whether it workd for me or not.

Mik F
DB
Dick_Brewster
Jun 11, 2007
Rick, I also have the Intellimouse 6000. I was having frequent crashes and completely solved the crash problem by disabling imouse with msconfig under the startup tab.

The back button on the mouse still works. I don’t understand why,but like it.
RK
Rick_Khanna
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks, I’ll try that now.
SB
Steve_Bland
Jun 12, 2007
FYI – The IntelliPoint software DOES have a negative impact on other Adobe software. After removing IntelliPoint, a specific issue I had been dealing with in Premiere completely changed.

It will be interesting to see the resolution between Microsoft and Adobe. Until then, be aware that other Adobe applications are affected by IntelliPoint.

Steven Bland
RM
Rick Moore
Jun 12, 2007
More FYI, the latest Intellipoint software messes with AutoCAD, too. MS really blew it with that driver.

Rick Moore, AIA
www.bgkarchitects.com
RK
Rick_Khanna
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks Dick,

Disabling ipoint.exe so far has worked. No crashes yet.
W
WillSwain
Jun 14, 2007
Hi,

I’m having a similar problem, but different. It’s whenever I try to launch photoshop cs3 extended. I get an error saying the program can’t launch. A look in the eventvwr shows this:

Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000004.

Not very informative, at least to me. I have a Logitech mouse, and have uninstalled the software. No effect.

Any ideas people?
FO
Fred_Oppous
Jul 3, 2007
Well I’ve got one for you guys. I am no longer able to even start Premiere Pro CS3, Premiere Pro 2.0, Encore DVD 2.0 or Audition 2.0. They all crash at the splash screen with the msvcr80.dll error. The funny thing is that Photoshop CS3 and CS2 run perfectly. I have a Logitech G5 laser mouse and an HP multimedia keyboard left over from a past HP media center PC. Everything was working great until the other day. I was rendering some video and all of a sudden the system freaked out. Was getting corrupted video display and sections of the desktop disappearing. I was forced to reset the system and once rebooted everything was fine except the Adobe apps mentioned above. Other editing software runs fine including old reliable Virtualdub. Any ideas?
H
Harrysmom
Jul 5, 2007
Hi, will try to make this concise. My mother adores her Sam’s Club Photo Upload software, which has recently went belly up due to an msvcr80.dll issue. The software (identical I think to Walmart’s) seems to be searching for the missing dll in Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat/ActiveX. Those folders on her system are now empty. They’ve recently upgraded to Adobe Reader 8 and the old Acrobat 7.0 folders are the empty ones. They’ve also installed a trial verson of Photoshop Album starter and have a recent version of Norton, but not the Intellipoint I see listed. I can find the msvcr80.dll in other places on their system. Can I just copy the missing msvcr80.dll to the Adobe/Acrobat/ActiveX (old 7.O Acrobat) to try to get her Sam’s software happy again or will I be making things worse? Thanks for ideas!
HN
Howie_Nordstr
Jul 5, 2007
Anyone know what the latest is regarding a solution to CS3 and Intellipoint 6 drivers? Is there a resolution from either Ms or Adobe?
BO
Bryan_Ockert
Jul 10, 2007
I’m having frequent crashes in two of three of my Adobe products. Both were installed within the last two weeks.

Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro – (issue is actually in the Reader) Loads a pdf and if I scroll around the pdf, it eventually locks up. Have to kill it with Task Manager

Photoshop CS3- Slow opening images, but tolerable, the crash happens when I go to close Photoshop…it just hangs.

I do not use Intelipoint, but do use Logitech SetPoint 3.1

I did have the trial version of Photoshop CS3, removed it normally.

When I got to TaskManager FNPLicensing.exe is taking system resources. I end that process and both the Reader and Photoshop CS3 will close.

Any ideas?

System Info: XP Media Center SP2
DualCore 2.8
1GB RAM
Radeon X1600XT Driver 8.241
ATI Catalyst Control Center

Only my Adobe products are crashing, and the install of Photoshop CS3 seems to have triggered it.
BO
Bryan_Ockert
Jul 11, 2007
Well, I found it. It was Windows One Care. If disable the Firewall I suddnely get a dialog to activate the software for both Acrobat and Photoshop.

I noticed that when I tried to quite Photoshop CS3, the hang would trigger MSMPENG.exe to take up all the resources…which is I believe One Care’s AntiVirus software.

So I disabled it, and now Photoshop CS3 runs super fast, and I can open and close the program with out any hangs.

Hope this helps anyone else!
D
deebs
Jul 11, 2007
Do a trial on NOD32 – you may be amazed (as in absolutely amazed)

wrote:
Well, I found it. It was Windows One Care. If disable the Firewall I suddnely get a dialog to activate the software for both Acrobat and Photoshop.

I noticed that when I tried to quite Photoshop CS3, the hang would trigger MSMPENG.exe to take up all the resources…which is I believe One Care’s AntiVirus software.

So I disabled it, and now Photoshop CS3 runs super fast, and I can open and close the program with out any hangs.

Hope this helps anyone else!
JJ
Juet_J
Jul 14, 2007
im having a problem when im starting photoshop cs3 it starts to the splash screen but then just popups up a windows crash thing, "this program stop running" i have no idea what to do, i dont have no MS mouse but i have a DELL one
D
dadj77
Jul 20, 2007
got silent here.. but still no sollution huh.. let me remind you all that many people without the infamous mousedrivers experience the exact same problems, so its not just a simple driver issue although they might trigger the same problem that occurs on systems without the drivers.. Why dont the adobe people respond here as im used to them doing? Corporate marketing decision? I hope not..
TL
Tracy_L_Wilson
Jul 21, 2007
Faulting application Photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4601eae8, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, time stamp 0x45712238, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00014580, process id 0x11ec, application start time 0x01c7cbe13b66427d.

The program was running fine until a couple of weeks ago. It is installed on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Vista.

I read the kb about the possible cause being the mouse driver… I am not running a MS mouse driver.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 22, 2007
The odds are good that it’s either a third-party plug-in or an Adobe plug-in from a previous version. If you have them in your Adobe plug-in directory, it would be a good idea in any event to put them in a separate directory and set the preferences to use that as your additional plug-ins folder. Make sure you didn’t copy any plug-ins that were part of an earlier version of Photoshop into your current version’s plug-ins folder, and that you didn’t point the additional plug-ins preference to an earlier version’s folder.

Once you have ruled out plug-ins from prior versions, try disabling all of your third-party plug-ins by adding a tilde (~) to the front of their file names. Now see if you have the same failure. If not, re-enable plug-ins a few at a time to see which one has the problem.
D
dadj77
Jul 22, 2007
can only speak for myself but i never touched the default install, so no 3rd party plugins to mess things up.. still the same problems..
BO
Brian_Oakwood
Jul 28, 2007
I ran into the same MSVCR80 problem myself and believe I may have resolved the problem by replacing the .762 version of the file with the .42 version from the Adobe CS3 program folder. When I did the replacement, I first renamed the original files and then replaced the following files that were located in the offending directory with the .42 version:

msvcm80.dll
msvcp80.dll
msvcr80.dll

I replaced all three files to reduce the chance of there being compatability problems. To be on the safe side, I created a shortcut to this directory so that I can switch the files back if I run into a problem with another program. So far I haven’t had a problem. I was lucky in one respect in that it appears the .762 was only recently installed so I have a pretty good idea which program did it. As that program appears to be working correctly, I don’t think I will have a problem with the vast majority of my programs.

When I did this, the crash I was consistently having with the Edit/Auto-Align Layers feature went away. I suspect that the problem will return the next time a program installs the newer version of msvcr80.dll. Hopefully Adobe can correct the problem before this happens.

Hope this helps.
LA
Larry_Aldridge
Aug 4, 2007
Windows One Care (probably should be called "Windows don’t Care" crashes Photoshop CS as well. I have removed "One Care" from my system today. One Care came with the software provided by Qwest when they installed my DSL line.

Larry Aldridge
Colorado Springs, CO.
S
stevent
Aug 16, 2007
Yes, but neither MS IntelliPoint mouse software installed nor IntelliPoint mouse.
B
bkim
Aug 21, 2007
Is there any resolution to this? I have a user on XP64 everything else looks like its working but Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator freeze up a lot. Its random, opening PS or working on files or closing PS all can freeze at any time.

not using a MS mouse or MS mouse drivers.
its a fresh install with not much else on the machine.
its a dual quad core machine with 8GB of RAM.

Is there any testing done with these products before release?
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 21, 2007
No.

Didn’t you read any of the other posts on 64-bit?

…. or the label on the box?
B
bkim
Aug 21, 2007
I didnt do any of the purchasing myself (software or hardware) so I really had no clue. I guess I assumed if it didnt work in a true 64bit environment, it would work as a 32bit application running on winxp64.

All our other non-64 bit programs install and work fine. are we just totally screwed?
B
bkim
Aug 23, 2007
has anyone gotten photoshop CS3 to run smoothly on winXP x64? I’ve never seen it run without random freezing/crashing. I’ve tried everything I found in the replies to this post, and I’ll go through the troubleshooting steps on the Adobe Technotes and see if that does anything.

if anyone has any other tips please post a reply.
SC
Scott_C._Johnson
Oct 18, 2007
I have photoshop CS3 and I get a temporary white screen when opening up the program. I have a fast video card, enough ram , etc. But to no avail it seems to get caught up on something. Any suggestions?
JL
Jon L Miller
Oct 23, 2007
Makes me think that the 64bit is causing the problem. Have you tried to install it on a 32-bit system with same specs other than hardware? Have you run a virus, spam, malware scanner?
what other apps are on the PC are they crashing also?
What does the package states about the OS, I do not have mind here (at work), so I cannot look it up.
What is being written to the event viewer?
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 23, 2007
Try reducing Photoshop’s memory allocation to 40%. If this cures the problem, increase it 5% at a time to find the "sweet spot". The default 55% is usually about right on a 32 bit machine with 2GB of RAM.
D
dadj77
Oct 23, 2007
64bit has nothing to do with it.. these problems occur all over the windows spectrum.. its just time adobe finally fixes this crazy problem.. it should be their only priority if u ask me.. its really not a 64/32bit or mouse driver issue as half the people with the problems dont even use the blamed drivers. are apple users experiencing the same problem?
TN
True_North
Oct 29, 2007
Have just bought new wireless mouse/keybd (intellipoint 6.2 installed) and…here I am.

Question: if I uninstall intellipoint, does my mouse still work? Do I have to install an older driver?
SB
Steve_Bland
Oct 31, 2007
After uninstall intellipoint, my mouse kept working. I noticed that the neat "magnify glass" function that was activated by the mouse stopped working, . . . so you may lose a bell or whistle. I think the OS is using the standard HID compliant driver to talk to the mouse rather than Intellipoint driver.

Again, the crashes in Photoshop and whacky stuff in Premiere stopped after uninstall.

Steve
TT
Todd_Thomsen
Nov 1, 2007
I had awful problems with CS3 and xp-64.

My problem was my default printer, which was set to a network printer. Changing this to a local printer (PDF creator in my case) fixed the problem of frequent and irreversible system crashes.

good luck
KC
Ken_Cutts
Dec 22, 2007
I had the error: Faulting application adobe encore.exe, version 3.0.1.8, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, fault address 0x00008a8c.

Turning down hardware acceleration worked for me.
KF
Kirk_Flynn
Jan 31, 2008
I struggled with this also on a fairly new laptop running Vista. All efforts with mice and anti-virus software, unusual drivers, etc. came to naught. But it was Post #190 of 225 by Mr. Sullivan that proved to be the answer.

I watched Photoshop start (repeatedly) and noticed the pattern of crashing occurred as the plug-ins were being installed. The crash always happened when the old nik Color Efex Pro 2-0-2 (c.a. March-April 2004) was trying to load.

As Mr. Sullivan advised, I moved the nik Color Efex Pro 2-0-2 plug-in out of the standard Adobe plug-in directory to its own new folder.

Problem solved.

Thanks Mr. Sullivan!
MS
Mike_Stratil
Feb 1, 2008
Emma,

I am having the same problem with CS3 as you reported. Have you been able to resolve it? If so, what did you do?

Mike
360texas
Feb 1, 2008
It is now February 2008. Has the Microsoft 6000 keyboard and mouse driver been resolved?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 2, 2008
not that we’ve heard, but then no one reports GOOD experiences here… if you have one, try it out and let us know please! 🙂
RS
richard_Siegel
Nov 26, 2008
don’t think that this is a PC only problem. PS CS 4 Crashes all of the time on my Mac too for no apparent reason.

would like to know if I’m just lucky or other people have had this problem too and how they fixed it. i already downloaded and installed something relating to the graphics card issue.

also, i’d like to hear from someone that has had this problem and found a fix for it because with the amount of crashing PS CS 4 does, it is less than useless to me as it is now.

Thank you,

RMMS
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 26, 2008
PS CS 4 Crashes all of the time on my Mac too for no apparent reason.

you’re in the wrong forum too RMMS. this is photoshop WINDOWS (yes, the dark side! :)) you want photoshop mac forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b362/>
BC
Basil_Crowley
Nov 27, 2008
Dave, you’re very harsh. It was just a courtesy posting. It may be of some little comfort to know that Mac users are experiencing problems too, and that us PC users have not been, intentionally or unintentionally, singled out. There may be some issues in common, so it’s nice to know. You shouldn’t jump on people just because they use Macs and dare to venture onto this particular forum. Who says we shouldn’t be allowed to talk to each other?

Photoshop CS4 does cause crashes in Windows too. I could go on, but I see that this is not actually the subject of this particular thread. 🙂

One possible cause of CS3 crashes is documented here:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6bd8d/>
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 27, 2008
Basil

Since when are you the forum cop?

Dave gave a harmless tip to the guy. He wasn’t harsh and he didn’t jump on him.

If you been here as long as Dave and given one hundredth of the tips and advice he has over the years, you might be in a position to criticise.

We get lost souls in here all the time.
BC
Basil_Crowley
Nov 27, 2008
So the forum has cops has it? and I thought it was a place where ordinary people, like me, could express their views without fear of favour. By all means police the quality and appropriateness of the postings, that’s your job, but not the views expressed therein.

Why are you guys so sensitive to the slightest criticism, implied or otherwise? I was only expressing a perfectly valid point of view, and not being particularly critical, certainly not to the extent that it merited the response above. Do you want people to post here or not?

I’m sorry if I have got a bit off topic here, but outsiders (newbies if you want to call them that, and even Mac users and other lost souls) should be made to feel welcome and not chased off at the slightest provocation. It is all too easily done!
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 27, 2008
Had the poster been asking about Photoshop techniques I would be tempted to agree with you…but he was having an issue with the application crashing. Sending him to the Mac forum was the best possible advice he could have gotten here.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 27, 2008
that’s your job,

Not my job Basil. Just defending Dave.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 27, 2008
Dave, you’re very harsh.

um, i didn’t mean to be. i was simply directing RMMS to the forum where he could get the best help quickly for his specific system. is that harsh? hmm…
BC
Basil_Crowley
Nov 27, 2008
One shouldn’t be too quick to jump to conclusions.

I was thinking that there are possible issues here common to both PC and Mac platforms, that could underlie some crashing problems. It is essentially the same program remember, just compiled for different processor platforms. If the programming is sub standard on one it is likely to be so on the other, and vice versa (I’m not levelling any accusations here). Also, the activation and licensing technologies, assuming that Macs have to suffer this too, may have a lot in common, since these exploit low-level disk access, like writing to track 0 for example, and we do know that, if the activation stuff get corrupted, or doesn’t work properly at the outset, then crashes or freezes will result.
A1
atv_1011
Dec 1, 2008
Hello, i’m getting this issue and was not able to get solutions for it. Please help.

Faulting application photoshop.exe, version 10.0.0.0, faulting module adobeowl.dll, version 1.0.92.0, fault address 0x00069b7d.

Thank you

Aaron.
SV
Stevie_V
Dec 8, 2008
My cat’s breathe smells like cat food!!!
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 8, 2008
My cat’s breathe smells like cat food!!!

get a dog.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Dec 9, 2008
XD @ Dave….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections