SB
Posted By
smith_bp101
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Looks like I should have never bought this book. They give you the CD, but it ask for a password. I’ve searched the book and cannot locate any reference about a password.

Why provide a CD that you can’t even use????

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RH
Ronald Hands
Jul 8, 2004
Smith wrote:
Looks like I should have never bought this book. They give you the CD, but it ask for a password. I’ve searched the book and cannot locate any reference about a password.

I’m answering this on the newsgroup because it appears that is where you posted — but be aware that newsgroup postings are not echoed to the Adobe forum, which is where most of the regulars hang out, so you may not get much response. If you really want to tap into the expertise, go to www.adobe.com and register — it’s free — for the Photoshop Elements forum. (Forum postings *do* get copied to the newsgroup. Why this one-way portal? Who knows?)

Now as to password: they are listed on page 8 of the
Introduction of Lynch’s book (the pages are not numbered in the Intro, but that should be close enough to get you in the ballpark). They’re in the section that begins with the subhead "The Hidden Power Tools". The passwords vary according to whether you’re installed on a PSE 1 or 2 system and also be careful to note that separate code is available for Windows and Mac platforms.

I’ve had my copy of the book for about four months now and haven’t even tried to install the CD yet. Given another year or two, I might feel I’ve mastered enough of Photoshop Elements that I’m ready to extend its capabilities — but not yet!

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
SB
smith_bp101
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for the info. Upon closer inspection, I now found it in the book. I don’t understand why the use of the password to begin with. If it’s so important to have the password, why couldn’t they put it in a obvious spot, such as the CD cover? That might make too much sense though.
DE
Doug_Emerick
Jul 13, 2004
Me thinks it becasue cd’s from books are sometimes ripped out of the back of the books as they are sitting on the store shelves. By putting a password in the book it may be the publisher’s or author’s way of reducing the theft rate. I really don’t think its an effective way to do so, if indeed that’s the reason. Its only my 2 cents.

"Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for the info. Upon closer inspection, I now found it in the book. I don’t understand why the use of the password to begin with. If it’s so important to have the password, why couldn’t they put it in a obvious spot, such as the CD cover? That might make too much sense though.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections