M
Posted By
Mindful
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d appreciate some Photoshop CS book suggestions to learn from as well as a few sites where I can find tutorials. I am an experienced amateur photographer and have a basic knowledge of imaging products like Photo Shop and Photopaint. I’d like to dive in at an intermediate or advanced level with PS 8. Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RF
Robert Feinman
Jun 8, 2004
In article ,
says…
I’d appreciate some Photoshop CS book suggestions to learn from as well as a few sites where I can find tutorials. I am an experienced amateur photographer and have a basic knowledge of imaging products like Photo Shop and Photopaint. I’d like to dive in at an intermediate or advanced level with PS 8. Thanks
I have a bunch of tips on my web site aimed at photographers. Just follow the tips link on the home page.

Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:
S
Spiltrice
Jun 8, 2004
Mindful wrote:

For ebooks try visiting alt.binaries.e-book.technical – it’s mostly filled with computer language guides but there are books on photo editing amongst other equally useful things.

Also try alt.binaries.e-book although anything and everything gets uploaded there.
TD
The Doormouse
Jun 8, 2004
Mindful wrote:

I’d like to dive in at an intermediate or advanced
level with PS 8. Thanks

Page through the manual and read the parts that interest you.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse cannot be reached by e-mail without her permission.
T
tnguymNoSpamm
Jun 8, 2004
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:05:04 -0400, Mindful wrote:

I’d appreciate some Photoshop CS book suggestions to learn from as well as a few sites where I can find tutorials. …

Check out Designs by Mark – http://www.designsbymark.com/pstips/

Carl Volk’s site has some good information – http://www.carlvolk.com/

Russel Browns site – http://www.russellbrown.com/

Then after you have mastered a few techniques try your hand at some projects and read how others affected their results at – http://www.retouchpro.com/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) – Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+ All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists, +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
J
Jim
Jun 8, 2004
"Mindful" wrote in message
The manual is quite useful, but it is not a tutorial. There are lots and lots of books, but in the
end, most people learn at the school of hard knocks.
Jim
B
bhilton665
Jun 8, 2004

For a photographer the two best books I’ve seen are "Photoshop Artistry: A Master Class for Photographers …" by Haynes et al, and Martin Evening’s "Adobe Photoshop for Photographers". I started with Artistry back at V4 so I’m partial to that series but either will do the trick. Evening is more of a studio photographer, Haynes is more fine-art oriented with some good info on color management, scanners and the type of Epson printers most artists buy for home use.

For more details on retouching (but lacking in basic topics like color management, printers, etc) I recommend Katrin Eismann’s book "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching".

For a high level reference book I’d recommend either McClelland’s "Photoshop Bible" or "Real World Photoshop" by Blatner, et al. I think RW is stronger on color management so I’d probably get that one if only buying one.

If you read "Artistry" and "Real World" cover to cover, do all the exercises in Artistry and practice on your own files you can probably pass the "Certified Experts Exam". At least it worked out that way for me 🙂

Bill
JK
JP Kabala
Jun 8, 2004
Look For

Katrin Eisman, (Retouching)
Martin Evening
Channel Chops (bunch of Authors, including Monroy–
book has some age on it, but until you get channels
you won’t get your money’s worth from PS)

Ben Willmore, (Photoshop Studio Techniques– Ben is a good teacher, not just a talented photo editor, and he has a way with channels, selections, and
a lot of stuff even the gurus here probably don’t know about– he’s also a nice person IRL and not overly impressed with himself. You won’t suffer through bad jokes and wink-wink-nudge-nudge cutesy stuff… the talk is straight, the language as jargon-free as possible )

Dan Giordan, (Art of Photoshop– this book is beautiful, but a bit pretentious.
The only really important thing is that is has good content if you can tear your eyes away from the pictures long enough to read.)

Russell Brown’s site is better than his book. He’s brilliant, funny, creative ……..and actually best in person.

NE
no_email
Jun 8, 2004

I noticed several good answers to your post. I still have a question. What aspect are you asking about? As a photographer, I use color correction quite a bit and thought myself quite adept until I read Dan Margulis’ Professional Photoshop classic guide to color correction.

Smeltsmoke
M
Me
Jun 8, 2004
In addition to some other interests, I’ve started down the road of retouching old family photos and slides. Before taking the plunge, I want to understand the strengths and subleties of PS in areas like color correction, sharpening, noise reduction and how to best use histograms and levels. I have limited knowledge of PS but have experience with Photopaint and Paint Shop. Thanks for the lead

In article ,
says…

I noticed several good answers to your post. I still have a question. What aspect are you asking about? As a photographer, I use color correction quite a bit and thought myself quite adept until I read Dan Margulis’ Professional Photoshop classic guide to color correction.

Smeltsmoke
M
Me
Jun 8, 2004
Thanks for your suggestions. They give me a good roadmap for learning.

Steve

In article ,
says…
K
kaispowertools
Jun 9, 2004
Wacom has a very good set of tutorials from the likes of Dan Giordan, Russell Brown, Gerald Bybee, Helen DeLillo, Deke McClelland, Scott Kelby and others at their "Top 40 Photoshop Experts" link:

http://www.wacom.com/top40/gurus.cfm

I don’t have any tutorials (too busy tweaking), but lots of photography and digital imaging at my site:

http://www.amenfoto.com/

Hope this helps,

Adrian

"A Picture’s Worth a Thousand Nerds."
H
Hecate
Jun 9, 2004
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:58:53 -0400, Me wrote:

In addition to some other interests, I’ve started down the road of retouching old family photos and slides. Before taking the plunge, I want to understand the strengths and subleties of PS in areas like color correction, sharpening, noise reduction and how to best use histograms and levels. I have limited knowledge of PS but have experience with Photopaint and Paint Shop. Thanks for the lead
If you’re doing retouching Katrin Eismann’s book (already mentioned above) is a must. And from a photographer’s point of view, your fist book should be Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 9, 2004
Amazon will soon have the Adobe CS Bible…I have mine on back order. If its anywheres as comprehensive as my Photoshop Bible I will never need more.

JK
JP Kabala
Jun 9, 2004
If you’re doing retouching Katrin Eismann’s book (already mentioned above) is a must. And from a photographer’s point of view, your fist book should be Adobe Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening.

See, I’m trainable!!!! I still like Willmore (core photoshop) and Channel Chops, (power behind the program) but I got
Eismann and Evening in the #1 and #2 positions

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
bookworm
Jun 9, 2004
PS book authors (for photography) I like: Eismann, Dan Margulis, Barry Haynes.

Tim Grey’s Color Confidence is a good one for color management. In stead of (or in addition to) theory, this book goes deep into step by step tutorials on how to use a variety of color management products. Tim also "recommends" instead of "dictates" when it comes to some how-tos. This is fresh air, compared to how the other authors treat the same topics.

Just like good teachers, good authors should not only know their stuff, but should also *want* and *know* how to pass their knowledge onto the students and readers. Of the hundreds of PS books out there, few can live up to these expectations. 99% of them are little more than regurgitation of PS manuals, and are published primarily to make a buck.

JP Kabala wrote:

See, I’m trainable!!!! I still like Willmore (core photoshop) and Channel Chops, (power behind the program) but I got

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
DH
Desert Heat
Jun 9, 2004
GREAT POINT and well said.

: Just like good teachers, good authors should not only know their stuff, : but should also *want* and *know* how to pass their knowledge onto the : students and readers. Of the hundreds of PS books out there, few can : live up to these expectations. 99% of them are little more than : regurgitation of PS manuals, and are published primarily to make a buck. :
C
customersupport
Jun 9, 2004
Mindful wrote:
I have read some posts that users have left in reply to your question. A lot of them I really agree with, however, regardless if you are looking are certain aspects of Photoshop, I have Two GREAT books that I recommend that you read. They are both written by masters of Photoshop:

The first book is titled: "Photoshop Channel Chops" by David Biedny, Bert Monroy, and Nathan Moody (Publishers: New Riders; ISBN: 1-56205-723-5)

This book covers one of the most misunderstood and MOST important part of Photoshop; Channels and Masks. I won’t matter what version of Photoshop you use, Channels and Masks are the MOST advanced part of the program and MOST PS users don’t understand either fully.

The second book that I recommend is: "Adobe Photoshop CS Studio Techniques" by Ben Willmore (Adobe Press – Peachpit Press.; ISBN: 0-321-21352-1)

This book is a very details, yet easy read for any Photoshop CS user. It covers just about everything that Photoshop does; except detailed Image Ready features or web site design features. The book has detailed color photos and is PACKED with glossary terms within the chapters and explainations for everything.

You make your pick in the end, but I strongly recommend these two books if you are seriously wanting to master Photoshop.

JP Kabala
Jun 9, 2004
Just like good teachers, good authors should not only know their stuff, but should also *want* and *know* how to pass their knowledge onto the students and readers. Of the hundreds of PS books out there, few can live up to these expectations. 99% of them are little more than regurgitation of PS manuals, and are published primarily to make a buck.

YUP!!! This is why I like the Willmore and Giordan books better than a lot of other more popular books….Ben knows how to teach, to make information accessible….
Dan Giordan lets you inside his thougt process as he created the image….there are dozens of other books out there that are either "cookbooks" (do THIS to get THAT, without telling you how or why it works) or have no real creative focus. But when someone can teach me not only a few tricks, but why they work *and* why I ought to care about them….. that’s a winner.
JK
JP Kabala
Jun 9, 2004
"L. McKenzie" wrote in message
<snip>
The first book is titled: "Photoshop Channel Chops" by David Biedny, Bert Monroy, and Nathan Moody (Publishers: New Riders; ISBN:
1-56205-723-5)
<snip>
The second book that I recommend is: "Adobe Photoshop CS Studio Techniques" by Ben Willmore (Adobe Press – Peachpit Press.; ISBN: 0-321-21352-1)
GMTA, Leo!!!!!

Two of the best ever.

And, FWIW, both Monroy and Willmore are KILLER in the classroom. Both know how to TEACH– not just use the software.
H
Hecate
Jun 10, 2004
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:01:18 GMT, "JP Kabala" wrote:

LOL! Channel Chops is excellent, but I’m not sure it’s appropriate for the OP just yet. I haven’t seen Willmore. Another useful training book is Photoshop Artistry by Haynes and Crumpler. It’s like a Photoshop course in a book with tutorials and images supplied to work on. Despite the title, it’s actually a very good training manual.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Jun 10, 2004
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:37:35 GMT, "Gene Palmiter" wrote:

Amazon will soon have the Adobe CS Bible…I have mine on back order. If its anywheres as comprehensive as my Photoshop Bible I will never need more.
Then you’re missing out on a hell of a lot of better books. IMHO, of course.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
bookworm
Jun 10, 2004
JP Kabala wrote:
"L. McKenzie" wrote in message
<snip>
The first book is titled: "Photoshop Channel Chops" by David Biedny, Bert Monroy, and Nathan Moody (Publishers: New Riders; ISBN:
1-56205-723-5)
<snip>
GMTA, Leo!!!!!

Two of the best ever.

And, FWIW, both Monroy and Willmore are KILLER in the classroom. Both know how to TEACH– not just use the software.

I have yet to try the Channel Chops book (not in my library <g>). It is pretty old (not sure if it matters), but I read that a new revision is on its way.
JK
JP Kabala
Jun 10, 2004
wrote in message
JP Kabala wrote:
"L. McKenzie" wrote in
1-56205-723-5)
<snip>
GMTA, Leo!!!!!

Two of the best ever.

I have yet to try the Channel Chops book (not in my library <g>). It is pretty old (not sure if it matters), but I read that a new revision is on its way.

Oh Happy, Happy, Joy Joy!!! I recommend that book all the time, and people look at me and say "nothing more current?" but channels haven’t really changed all that much. And until you get a handle on channels, Photoshop doesn’t really make sense.

I get busted a lot over here for saying Paint Shop Pro is an excellent value in image software, (and 100 times better than Elements, which is a real dog of a program– when they crippled PS to sell to the hobbyist market, they took the heart and soul and logic out of it- Blech!) but there are things missing and the one place it and Elements both definitely fall flat is in the handling of channels. When you can’t SEE the effects of channel
adjustments— without standing on your head and singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic in Esperanto— you can’t understand how to master them.
H
Hecate
Jun 11, 2004
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:49:03 GMT, "JP Kabala" wrote:

Oh Happy, Happy, Joy Joy!!! I recommend that book all the time, and people look at me and say "nothing more current?" but channels haven’t really changed all that much. And until you get a handle on channels, Photoshop doesn’t really make sense.

Yes, good news if true, and yes, I thought I understood channels till I read that book 😉

I get busted a lot over here for saying Paint Shop Pro is an excellent value in image software, (and 100 times better than Elements, which is a real dog of a program– when they crippled PS to sell to the hobbyist market, they took the heart and soul and logic out of it- Blech!)

PSP is good value. I don’t agree about PSE though – because PSP is trying to be the "poor person’s Photoshop" it provides a lot more than the average person needs and makes simple photo editing needlessly complex for the more general user. PSE makes things simpler. My partner uses it and does fine with it. Anything complicated she squirts over the network to me 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
U
Uni
Jun 11, 2004
JP Kabala wrote:
wrote in message
JP Kabala wrote:

"L. McKenzie" wrote in
<snip>

1-56205-723-5)
<snip>

GMTA, Leo!!!!!

Two of the best ever.

I get busted a lot over here for saying Paint Shop Pro is an excellent value in image software, (and 100 times better than Elements,

The ONLY reason you say that, is because Jasc Software, Inc. mentions your web site on their site.

If Adobe did the same, you’d be applauding Elements, rather than Paint Shop Pro.

Uni

which is
a real dog of a program– when they crippled PS to sell to the hobbyist market, they took the heart and soul and logic out of it- Blech!) but there are things missing and the one place it and Elements both definitely fall flat is in the handling of channels. When you can’t SEE the effects of channel
adjustments— without standing on your head and singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic in Esperanto— you can’t understand how to master them.
U
Uni
Jun 11, 2004
Hecate wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:49:03 GMT, "JP Kabala" wrote:

Yes, good news if true, and yes, I thought I understood channels till I read that book 😉

I get busted a lot over here for saying Paint Shop Pro is an excellent value in image software, (and 100 times better than Elements, which is a real dog of a program– when they crippled PS to sell to the hobbyist market, they took the heart and soul and logic out of it- Blech!)

PSP is good value. I don’t agree about PSE though – because PSP is trying to be the "poor person’s Photoshop"

PSP has many technical faults that amateurs are too blind to see. With most PSPers, if they can draw a line or make a cute animation, they are happy.
Many more women use PSP, than men.

Uni

it provides a lot more than
the average person needs and makes simple photo editing needlessly complex for the more general user. PSE makes things simpler. My partner uses it and does fine with it. Anything complicated she squirts over the network to me 🙂

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
M
Mindful
Jun 12, 2004
In article ,
says…
Thanks to everyone for the many suggestions. I have lots of links to tutorials and have also ordered Ben Wilmore’s book as a place to begin the journey.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections