M
Posted By
Madone
Dec 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m currently running CS4 with OpenGL Drawing enabled, and everytime I open an image within Application Frame (or in full screen view) pink screen artifact appears around the image on top of the gray background

Screenshot: <http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c1cad9632b.jpg>

Does anyone else have this problem? The artifacts disappears when I zoom in & out of the image, and it’s not an issue when OpenGL is turned off.

Thanks.

MBP/2.5GHz/4GB/Nvidia 8600M GT

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 16, 2008
Madone,

If these do not appear in prints, these are screen artifacts generated by your graphics card. Maybe your video card is not fully compliant with OpenGL.

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2008
Maybe your video card is not fully compliant with OpenGL.

To verify that, go to the nVidia web site and check the card specs.

It must fulfill three conditions:

1.– support Open GL 2

2.– support Shader Model 3

3.– have at least 256 MB of VRAM
M
Madone
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the response guys. I have the stock video card that came with my MBP (spring 08 model), so on paper it’s definitely compatible with OpenGL. I guess it’s either a driver or hardware problem with Nvidia.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 17, 2008
Madone,

A stock ’08 card doesn’t guarantee compatibility. Be sure you’ve read and compared the card’s specs carefully. It is meets or exceeds Adobe’s specs, then speak to Apple or Nvidia.

Neil
P
PShock
Dec 18, 2008
Any 2008 Macbook Pro is going to have a compatible video card.
AC
Atlas_Cerise
Dec 18, 2008
I have the same issue after updating to 10.5.6. Dragging the corner of an image to give it a bigger working area now produces a weird pink and purple quirk. You are not alone. Please give me an update soon, Adobe.

2.8 GHz Unibody MBP, 10.5.6, PS CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 18, 2008
Atlas,

Please give me an update soon, Adobe.

This is most likely an Apple/graphics card issue. IF the card meets or exceeds ALL of Adobe’s specs AND it creates artifacts, it appears something is wrong with the card or in the way it processes data.

Did you check if your card is on Adobe’s list of tested/passed cards?

Neil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 18, 2008
It unfortunately looks like neil is correct.
M
Madone
Dec 19, 2008
Neil — yes, I double checked both the specs sheet at Nvidia and the list of approved card on Adobe. My card should definitely work with OpenGL — and so should every MBP model released this year (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M/9600M).

Atlas — good to hear that I’m not alone in this. Since I’m currently using a trial version I don’t qualify for Adobe technical support, but I did submit a bug report to them. Hopefully they’ll release an updated driver soon.
R
randalqueen
Dec 19, 2008
I do not know if this will help so please do not shoot me

< http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook__MacBook_Pro_Soft ware_Update_1_2>
M
Madone
Dec 19, 2008
randalqueen — unfortunately I have the early 2008 model.
AC
Atlas_Cerise
Dec 19, 2008
I am running the unibody MBP, and the problem seems to have gone away. I have opened a bunch of different files, each a different format, and now I no longer see the pink thing happening. Weird. I know I never saw it before 10.5.6, but the issue seems to have disappeared. Is yours constant, or does it vary?
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
Since I’m currently using a trial version I don’t qualify for Adobe technical support, but I did submit a bug report to them. Hopefully they’ll release an updated driver soon.

Adobe does not make or release drivers for video cards. This is handled by the manufacturer of the card or in the case of Apple, Apple includes the updates in the OS updates.

reporting the problem to Apple will do much more good than telling Adobe.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 19, 2008
Madone,

Since I’m currently using a trial version I don’t qualify for Adobe technical support, but I did submit a bug report to them. Hopefully they’ll release an updated driver soon.

Again, this appears to be an Apple/Nvidia issue and you should query their tech support. Adobe does not make drivers for peripherals.

Neil
AC
Atlas_Cerise
Dec 19, 2008
He clearly meant "update", not "driver".
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
It’s still wrong. It’s not Adobe’s issue to fix with an update, it’s an Apple issue or a card manufacturer issue.
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
exactly. If Adobe were to actually do something to fix this issue what might happen to all the other video cards? this is clearly a manufacturer/Apple issue.
AC
Atlas_Cerise
Dec 19, 2008
So Adobe is the only company that doesn’t have to patch its software to work with system updates? WOW! I wish I could live in the same fantasy land as all of you.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Adobe’s software is not malfunctioning here. It’s the card and/or the OS. Other cards work fine.
AC
Atlas_Cerise
Dec 19, 2008
Never mind the fact that the two of us are using different model Macs with different video cards, yet have the same issue.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
But you’re both using Leopard 10.5.6!
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
Well if the problem occurred when you installed the update 10.5.6 then this is clearly an Apple issue as the problem did not exist until then.
M
Madone
Dec 19, 2008
Ok, I feel like this thread is becoming just an argument about semantics — so I’ll leave with few closing comments.

– Yes, I do know that Adobe doesn’t make "drivers" — it was a wrong choice of word.

– Reason why I contacted Adobe instead of Apple/Nvidia: The way I see it, Apple is simply a method of distribution — all they do is take an updated driver that Nvidia makes, then package it into their software update. And the only way Nvidia can update their driver to fix this problem is by working with Adobe, since this is an issue specific to their application.

– I had this problem with 10.5.5 — and still do with 10.5.6

Happy Holidays everyone.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 19, 2008
It may not be a question of semantics as much as it is a question of logistics.

For instance Adobe is told there is a problem like yours wit the display which occurs after Adobe releases the application. I t then goes to Apple and says hey how about letting us have access to this part of code so we can find a solution to fix this problem…Apple’s answer is to this request…Madone and Atlas, not trying to be smart but you tell us what Apple tells Adobe?

That’s correct you can’t right it here as Neil will delete it!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
And the only way Nvidia can update their driver to fix this problem is by working with Adobe, since this is an issue specific to their application.

While Nvidia will have to work with Adobe and Apple, it’s up to Nvidia to figure out what is breaking their driver — and to find a fix, either by software or a firmware update. As Adobe said in its caveats for using certain new functions in Photoshop Extended CS4, not all cards are compliant with the tough standards that Photoshop now requires.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 20, 2008
And the only way Nvidia can update their driver to fix this problem is by working with Adobe, since this is an issue specific to their application.

While Nvidia will have to work with Adobe and Apple, it’s up to Nvidia to figure out what is breaking their driver — and to find a fix, either by software or a firmware update — if it is feasible.

As Adobe said in its caveats for using certain new functions in Photoshop Extended CS4, not all cards are compliant with the tough standards that Photoshop now requires. If the card is not specifically on Adobe’s list, it either hasn’t yet been tested, or it was tested and failed.

Neil
J
jespizua
Dec 21, 2008
Hi,
Same problem here running a MacPro with nvidia Geforce 8800 GT. This problem is not isolated to 10.5.6, I’ve been experiencing this behavior since the first time I installed CS4 running 10.5.5.
P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
WARNING – mini rant ahead!

So that’s three different machines, three different video cards and three different drivers – all having this same issue. Combine that with the wrath of other people having visual glitches that seem to be video related – on a wide variety of machines – and I simply can’t accept this "bad video driver" excuse. On the Windows side, with the dozens if not hundreds of possible machine configurations, I can see it – but there just aren’t THAT many current Mac systems available.

As Adobe said in its caveats for using certain new functions in Photoshop Extended CS4, not all cards are compliant with the tough standards that Photoshop now requires. If the card is not specifically on Adobe’s list, it either hasn’t yet been tested, or it was tested and failed.

Sorry, Neil but that’s a copout. First of all, everyone in this thread reporting this issue are using current Macs that are fully capable of utilizing the advanced OpenGL features. (They’re on Adobe’s list of supported machines!) With the exception of the Macbook, you’d have to go back to machines introduced in 2007 to find the (relatively few), Macs with video cards which don’t officially support CS4’s OpenGL features.

However, even if the card doesn’t support the OpenGL features, that should NOT cause these glitches and warrant a "you’re card isn’t supported" excuse. The features should either work, or not work. Call me crazy but "glitch free" is not a feature.

Here’s Adobe’s list of tested cards for CS4 for Macintosh: ( < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2> )

MACTEL iMac 8800 GS 512 MB
MACTEL 8800 GT 512 MB
MACTEL Radeon x1900 512MB
MACTEL nVidia Quadrofx 4500 512MB
MACTEL nVidia 8600M 256MB
PPC nVidia 7800 256MB
MACTEL ATI HD 2600 MAC 256MB
17" MACTEL iMac x1600 128MB
Macbook Air intel GMA X3100

Scratch what I said about Macbooks – it has the same (integrated) video as the Macbook Air and it’s listed so even that’s supported.

Here’s a list recalled from memory with people having "GUI-esk" related issues.

Mac Pro nVidia 8800 GT – on list
Mac Pro ATI X1900 – on list
Mac Pro ATI 3870 – not on list, fully OGL compliant with CS4 requirements Mac Pro ATI 2600 – on list
Prev gen Macbook Pro vNidia 8600M – on list
Current Macbook Pro nVidia 8600M/9600M – not on list, fully OGL compliant

Not everyone with these machines are having problems of course, but enough people are that clearly something is going on. And if one person with a Mac Pro / nVidia 8800GT machine is having problems, but another with the same machine isn’t, how can the problem be the video card driver? They’re using the SAME driver! That leads me to believe another issue is at play.

Personally, I think the OpenGL features/requirements are overshadowing another distinct possibility in CS4 – the new Flash-based GUI. Adobe adopts a new method to display the interface and GUI problems show up. Coincidence?

However, the most troubling thing to me is Adobe’s lack or responsibility and passing of the buck in this matter. "Not our problem" is extremely aggravating. The Mac platform is roughly half of Adobe’s business and yet the most common suggestion, for these issues is to "check with the video card manufacturer". Since when can Mac users obtain updated drivers from video card manufacturers? You would think Adobe realizes this.

Even if this issue is someone else’s "fault", it’s the Adobe product having problems – it’s ADOBE’s responsibility to ensure their product works well on the platform it’s designed for. I believe the application should support the platform – NOT the other way around. If a current ATI driver is the culprit (I’m not convinced of this), then Adobe should be working with them (or whomever), to get it resolved and not simply telling customers, "check with them".

Rant over … 🙂

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2008
Does anyone who is using a PPC Mac have this problem?

Could the link be the INTEL chip — which is in both the newer Macs and the Windows machines?

[i have had no problems with CS4 but I am using a G5 (a PPC machine) with a mutant flashed-for-Mac 7800GT card and the 7800GT is on the "approved" list.]
P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
I thought of that, Ann but not everyone with an Intel Mac is having problems.

"Newer Macs". He-heh … you mean those that have been released in the last three years or so? My Mac Pro’s 3 year warranty runs out in 8 months! Time flies!

-phil
B
Buko
Dec 21, 2008
Well like Ann I’m not seeing it.
D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
I didn’t have a artifacts showing with ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB as long as I did not have the Bigger Tiles.plugin enabled.

That MacPro developed a hardware problem, power supply, main logic board?

I will have a new MacPro here on Monday with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB. We will see if that makes any difference.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2008
Hmmm … I no longer run Bigger Tiles.

I tried it with CS4 and it didn’t seem to offer any advantages anymore (although it did help in CS3) so I removed it.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 23, 2008
"Personally, I think the OpenGL features/requirements are overshadowing another distinct possibility in CS4 – the new Flash-based GUI. Adobe adopts a new method to display the interface and GUI problems show up. Coincidence?"

Interesting call. It makes me wonder about a few other interface problems I’ve noticed. Your statement seems plausible.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections