J
Posted By
Jmoreno7
Jul 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a project created in PShop Limited edition. In order to have this professionally printed I understand it needs to be converted to a CMYK file. Does my project need to be rebuilt in another more advanced program or is it a matter of conversion? If I were to use another more advanced program will I still be able to use the layers I have developed in PShop Elements?
Thank you
JM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 4, 2004
As such, Photoshop Elements does not do CMYK conversion. You’ll have to use another software like full featured Photoshop. If so, the layers in your file will be kept as they are. I don’t know for other software like Paint Shop Pro or Microsoft stuff.

Ray
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jul 5, 2004
Richard Lynch’s book contains an add-in that does CMYK separations. I’ve never used it myself, so I can’t comment on how well it works.

< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141781/qid =1089008682/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-2216687-57447 16?v=glance&s=books&n=507846>
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 5, 2004
I have learnt one thing in the past: leave this conversion to a lithographer and hand him/her your RGB file AND a print showing the right colours. Just only this way you can tell wether they have done the job correctly.

To produce the right CMYK profile you will have to know the characteristics of the inks, of the paper etc. Leave this job to the professionals.

Leen
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 5, 2004
Just to piggy back on this thread…..

When you print to an Inkjet printer which has 4 colour cartridges..CYMK. Where does the conversion get done? Is this a function of the Printer Driver or does Photoshop do this?

Colin
J
JPWhite
Jul 5, 2004
The print driver does it. Consumer grade inkjets expect RGB as input from the application program.

If say you were to convert an image to CMYK and send it to an inkjet printer, the output would first be converted to RGB to send to the print driver (as that is what it expects as input), the driver would then convert back to CMYK for final output.
JP
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 5, 2004
Even the printer driver in professional photo printers like the Epson 4000, 7600 and 9600 can handle both RGB files and CMYK files from RIP software.

Leen
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 6, 2004
Thanks folks…..

Now for part two…..

Do CYMK inkjet printers have the same colour gamut as a profesional printer where CYMK are sent seperately? Or are they more restricted?

Colin
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 6, 2004
AFAIK the colour gamut of prints depends on;
the paper,
the kind of inks,
the printer,
and the conversion software.

So IMHO it is pretty difficult to answer your question.

Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 7, 2004
The -very expensive- RIP software I bought with my large format printer does the RGB-CMYK conversion before sending it to the printer. I recently discovered this conversion, when done by the printer, does a much better job than the RIP software, so I decided yesterday not to use it any more.

I am just only one thing missing from this wasted money: it also arranged the images on the paper automatically in a way I didnot waste too much paper.

Anyone out there who knows software that can do the same thing? Now I have to arrange the images by hand in PSE and that is pretty time consuming.

Leen
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 7, 2004
Leen…

I’d be interested to know what printer you’re using although I guess it will be out of my league? Have you read anything about the new Epson R800 which I believe has additional cartridges supposedly to extend the gamut.

BTW: Paintshop Pro has an Auto Arrange feature in it’s print layout section.

Colin
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 7, 2004
Here’s a review that convinced me that I "need" this printer. Haven’t got it yet, but it WILL be my next big purchase:

< http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/epson-r800.sh tml>

Patti
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jul 7, 2004
Patti…

Sounds impressive. He only mentions Epson papers. Wonder how it will handle other types?

Colin
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 7, 2004
Colin, I use the Epson 7600. I don’t know if about $4000 is out of your league? it ould be out of mine too, if I didnot use it professionally. Yesterday I noticed I printed over 350 meters of 60 cm wide in about 9 months. That’s about 3500 sheets A4 size. 😉

I have seen raving reviews about the 800, so I suppose it will be a good buy. It might be wise to stick to Epson papers as I suppose there will be profiles for Epson paper included. Profiling can be quite a difficult job.

I suppose there will be software to arrange images over the paper; I cannot imagine nobody ever gave this a thought. So I’ll keep on searching. Might be a good idea for Adobe to include in their next Photoshop versions. 😉

Leen
J
jhjl1
Jul 7, 2004
You might try Q-Image Pro for your arrangement needs.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I suppose there will be software to arrange images over the paper; I
cannot imagine nobody ever gave this a thought. So I’ll keep on searching. Might be a good idea for Adobe to include in their next Photoshop versions. 😉
Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 7, 2004
James, it looks good, but it seems it supports just only fixed sizes and I need something that can deal with all kinds of sizes together on one sheet of paper.

Thanks for your help.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 8, 2004
Leen, so how are things with the big new Epson anyways ? …Now that you have used it for the past 3-4..or is it 6 months ? I can only imagine the costs of keeping that beast up and running. But then, you are the pro and you can afford it ;))
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 8, 2004
Jodi, the Epson 7600 is doing finefor about 8 months now. It "ate" over 350 meters of paper, so I suppose it will be about 500 meters a year. The costs of keeping it running will probably be about $6000 yearly, but it is well worth its money. I used to pay about 3x this amount to my pro lab and not to mention the savings on film. I have reached my break even point some months ago, so now the ship loaded with money, is to be coming in. 😉

Unfortunately the expensive software I bought wit this machine has let me down. Tuesday night, a colleague and I discovered that all the problems we had related to this software. Now it is running smoothly, printing direct from Photoshop….Colours are better than ever before. This defective software has cost me way over $1000 on paper and inks of images I had to reprint, sometimes up to four times. I always blamed myself and my ignorance, but now I know better. Not to mention the hundreds of hours I wasted, working 60-80 hours weekly, seven days a week. All due to this software…

I usually am quite a peaceful person; it is pretty hard to make me angry, but when I phoned to the company in Germany that produces this software, I was so terribly angry, I even started to stammer and couldnot finish my sentences. Now it is probably impossible to make a telephone call to Germany, because all connections should have been melted down.

Now I am just only extremely tired. Still about 300 hours of work waiting for me….

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 8, 2004
Leen, wow, I feel bad for all that crap ya went through. I had no idea… Like you said though…now ya know better. Mail me and tell me what software this was that I should stay away from…if ever the need arrises. It’s a shame ya wasted so much time and effort. I think it only makes us wiser though….right ? Anyways, ya sound like you are really satisfied and that is what is most important. ‘ peace and harmony ‘ …it’s the best 🙂 Carry on…
VE
Virginia_Erickson
Jul 10, 2004
Leen,
After returning the 4 in 1 Hewlett Packard because there was dust under the glass of the scanner, I was left with their Photo and Imaging Program. It’s pretty neat. You select the photos you want, you pick the template you need, and it swooshes them into an album of however many pages it takes. I use it to print 3 4×6’s on a glossy paper and then cut them apart with a good cutter. Or 4 on a page or 6 on a page.

I also print on ink-jet photo quality paper large thumbnails say, 2 1/2 by 3, your choice, and let friends and family choose the one’s they want me to print out at whatever size.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 11, 2004
The problem with all software I have seen until now: everything is based on templates for images of fixed sizes. Especially with weddings I often use other sizes, like 3×12. This brings a lot of variety into the albums. And a lot of problems now. ;-(
But I will manage, I hope. There is about 200 hours of work waiting for me now…. 😉

Leen

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections