L
Posted By
Litron
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been doing artwork for a few years and was asked to create a logo for a friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient fades and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of course when I converted it to CMYK (as I understand I need to do for the print shop) the logo lost a lot of depth and vibrancy – it also appears a few shades darker when I print it on my Lexmark X1140 printer.

I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better match my printer output, but how can I be certain that my colors will remain true to the original when it’s finally taken to the printer? Also, what file format would be best to save the logo in for the printer(I’ve avoided the lossy formats such as JPG and GIF, but how about TIF or a flattened PSD file)?

Anyone know of some good resources on the web, something along the lines of CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of worms in that can as everything was created in RGB..

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me so I could use a push in the right direction.

Thanx

Litron

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

V
V1nc3nt
Jul 2, 2004
"Litron" wrote in message
I’ve been doing artwork for a few years and was asked to create a logo for
a
friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient fades and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of
course
when I converted it to CMYK (as I understand I need to do for the print shop) the logo lost a lot of depth and vibrancy – it also appears a few shades darker when I print it on my Lexmark X1140 printer.
I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better match
my
printer output, but how can I be certain that my colors will remain true
to
the original when it’s finally taken to the printer? Also, what file
format
would be best to save the logo in for the printer(I’ve avoided the lossy formats such as JPG and GIF, but how about TIF or a flattened PSD file)?
Anyone know of some good resources on the web, something along the lines
of
CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of worms
in
that can as everything was created in RGB..

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me so
I
could use a push in the right direction.

Thanx

Litron
http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/Graphics/IlColors.html
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 2, 2004
Litron wrote:
I’ve been doing artwork for a few years and was asked to create a logo for a friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient fades and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of course when I converted it to CMYK (as I understand I need to do for the print shop) the logo lost a lot of depth and vibrancy – it also appears a few shades darker when I print it on my Lexmark X1140 printer.

This is typical. CMYK does a poor job on pure reds and blues.

Spot colors may solve your problem. The printer uses custom inks to give you any of a a set of very pure colors. This is SOP for logos.

I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better match my printer output, but how can I be certain that my colors will remain true to the original when it’s finally taken to the printer? Also, what file format would be best to save the logo in for the printer(I’ve avoided the lossy formats such as JPG and GIF, but how about TIF or a flattened PSD file)?

If your eventual destination is print, work in CMYK. Best to check, but PDF, and also Tiff and DCS are common formats to pass on the the printer.

Anyone know of some good resources on the web, something along the lines of CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of worms in that can as everything was created in RGB..

It’s not a big deal, but there are things you can do to get an extra edge. Any book by Dan Margulis is worth its weight in metallic gold ink.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me so I could use a push in the right direction.

You got it – Pantone swatches define the spot colors. These are relatively intense colors that are normally difficult to achieve with just CMYK. End result: the logo with the mojo.

Click on the Custom button in the Color Picker, and you can select from several different lists of spot colors. Ask the printer which set you can use for this particular job, or when in doubt use the Pantone Coated list. A Pantone swatch set is desirable to see the exact color, but is fairly expensive.

BTW – check out the Pocket Pal. Great little book for $12.50, with everything you can think of related to printing. Read it through a couple of times and you’ll feel much more confident about printer terminology and technology. It’s alphabetical, so when you run into an unfamiliar term, you can look it up easily.
http://americanprinter.com/mag/printing_new_pocket_pal/

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
W
WharfRat
Jul 2, 2004
in article 5G9Fc.41055$ wrote on
7/2/04 2:12 AM:

True, you will have no 100% black
all your black will be a build of CMYK (bad idea)

You will have some reading up to do,
as you will be jumping some hoops
getting spot color files to output as spot colors,
instead of converting, to process output from photoshop. –
MSD
K
Kingdom
Jul 2, 2004
"Litron" wrote in news:5G9Fc.41055$:

Thanx

Litron

Phone the printer, most are quite happy with rgb 100% jpg images!

Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
H
Hecate
Jul 3, 2004
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:12:33 GMT, "Litron" wrote:

Well, for starters, if that’s an inkjet, it’s expecting an RGB image, not CMYK, so it’ll clip your colours even further.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Jul 3, 2004
In article <5G9Fc.41055$ says…

Thanx

Litron

Ben Willemore covers a lot of your problems in Photoshop CS Studio Techniques by Adobe Press, and may also have much of it on his Web site: www. digitalmastery.com. I’ll lay odds that others will have sites for you too.

Hunt
L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx for the link, definitely helps!

Litron

"V1nc3nt" wrote in message
"Litron" wrote in message
I’ve been doing artwork for a few years and was asked to create a logo
for
a
friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient
fades
and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of
course
when I converted it to CMYK (as I understand I need to do for the print shop) the logo lost a lot of depth and vibrancy – it also appears a few shades darker when I print it on my Lexmark X1140 printer.
I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better
match
my
to
format
would be best to save the logo in for the printer(I’ve avoided the lossy formats such as JPG and GIF, but how about TIF or a flattened PSD file)?
of
CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of
worms
in

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me
so
I

Thanx

Litron
http://www.graphic-design.com/DTG/Graphics/IlColors.html
L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx Mike, exactly the info I was looking for… especially the Pantone Coated hint as I won’t be in contact with the printer.

Litron

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Litron wrote:

This is typical. CMYK does a poor job on pure reds and blues.
Spot colors may solve your problem. The printer uses custom inks to give you any of a a set of very pure colors. This is SOP for logos.

If your eventual destination is print, work in CMYK. Best to check, but PDF, and also Tiff and DCS are common formats to pass on the the printer.

It’s not a big deal, but there are things you can do to get an extra edge. Any book by Dan Margulis is worth its weight in metallic gold ink.

You got it – Pantone swatches define the spot colors. These are
relatively
intense colors that are normally difficult to achieve with just CMYK. End result: the logo with the mojo.

Click on the Custom button in the Color Picker, and you can select from several different lists of spot colors. Ask the printer which set you can use for this particular job, or when in doubt use the Pantone Coated list. A Pantone swatch set is desirable to see the exact color, but is fairly expensive.

BTW – check out the Pocket Pal. Great little book for $12.50, with everything you can think of related to printing. Read it through a couple of times and you’ll feel much more confident about printer terminology and technology. It’s alphabetical, so when you run into an unfamiliar term,
you
can look it up easily.
http://americanprinter.com/mag/printing_new_pocket_pal/

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx for the input, and yes – I definitely have some reading to do.

Litron

"WharfRat" wrote in message
in article 5G9Fc.41055$ wrote on
7/2/04 2:12 AM:

for a
friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient
fades
and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of
course
I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better
match my
to
format
of
CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of
worms in

True, you will have no 100% black
all your black will be a build of CMYK (bad idea)

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me
so I

You will have some reading up to do,
as you will be jumping some hoops
getting spot color files to output as spot colors,
instead of converting, to process output from photoshop. –
MSD

L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx, I’ll look into it – it would be nice if I didn’t have to make changes.

Litron

"Kingdom" wrote in message
"Litron" wrote in news:5G9Fc.41055$:

Thanx

Litron

Phone the printer, most are quite happy with rgb 100% jpg images!

Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx Hecate, knowledge is power!

Litron

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:12:33 GMT, "Litron" wrote:
for a
friends business – I designed it in RGB and had some nifty gradient fades and shadow effects (My buddy was quite happy with the previews)… of
course

Well, for starters, if that’s an inkjet, it’s expecting an RGB image, not CMYK, so it’ll clip your colours even further.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
L
Litron
Jul 4, 2004
Thanx Hunt, I neglected to mention that I’m using PS7 – but will still check it out.

Catch ya later

Litron
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <5G9Fc.41055$ says…
for a
course
I understand that I probably need to calibrate my monitor to better match
my
to
format
of
CMYK for Dummies? I would eventually like to print some of my original artwork as well, but now I fear there might be a whole crap load of worms
in

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, Pantones etc are all new to me so
I

Thanx

Litron

Ben Willemore covers a lot of your problems in Photoshop CS Studio
Techniques
by Adobe Press, and may also have much of it on his Web site: www. digitalmastery.com. I’ll lay odds that others will have sites for you too.
Hunt
N
noone
Jul 4, 2004
In article <GsIFc.47870$ says…
Thanx Hunt, I neglected to mention that I’m using PS7 – but will still check it out.

Catch ya later

[SNIP]

Willmore also has a PS7 ver of his book, that is probably greatly discounted by now. The RGB-CMYK Gamut section is very similar, as it is not PS ver specific. As I recall, the PS CS book does go a tad deeper. I’ve got both, plus his v5 book. Each one gets better, and though there are some overlaps, he has done a good job of expanding the necessary chapters on how it all works, for each book. The CS book will apply to about 85% (rough guess on MY part), of what you will encounter in v7. Unfortunately, some of his comments that are specific to CS will get you wanting it! Be warned…

With the possible discount on the v7 book, I’d snap it up, then get the CS, when you do upgrade.

Hunt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections