Fonts aren’t embedded when creating PDF with Distiller (no Distiller problem)

MK
Posted By
michael_kamp
Apr 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Photoshop 6 and Acrobat Standard 6 on Win 2000.

I need to create a PDF/X-3 from a PSD file. When I use the "Save as … Photoshop PDF" command, the resulting PDF is not a valid PDF/X-3 (but fonts are embedded).

So I tried to print the PSD via the Adobe PDF Printer (Distiller), but in the resulting PDF all text is rasterized (which makes the PDF > 100 MB, so I can’t mail it), and no fonts are embedded, although I made sure that "Embed all fonts" is selected in the Adobe PDF settings. I also unchecked the "Do not send fonts to Adobe PDF" checkbox.

NOTE: I don’t think this is an Acrobat/Distiller issue, because I can create PDFs with embedded fonts from other documents (MS Word and Open Office docs).

Did I miss a setting somewhere in the depths of Photoshop?? I’d really appreciate any hint!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
michael_r_patriquen
Apr 3, 2007
The PDF/X-3 ISO standard is preset for high resolution CMYK print production- so it will give you the largest possible size output file- hence your inability to use for email.

If you need both high res print and web optimized output- you’ll have to create two documents.

-Michael.
Apr 3, 2007
It could be that the fonts you are embedding have legal restrictions. Adobe products like Photoshop and Distiller do honour them.

If the text is not long and its body size it’s not too tiny, you may convert it to outlines (no rasterizing).

What Michael says it’s true. However take into account that 1,5 the linescreen is usually enough and PDF/X standards do not forbid JPEG compression (though you’d better use it wisely and with prudence).

As it is a PDF/X-3 and it’s Photoshop, you’ll be likely using just one icc RGB profile and one CMYK ptinting condition, so…

Unless you are a penny-pinching Scrugge in e-mail settings, you might be able to send it as long as the receiving side has enough space in their inbox.
BG
barry_gray
Apr 3, 2007
AC
Art Campbell
Apr 3, 2007
I think you should also do a quick check on your Distiller Font Location folders. If I remember correctly, PS and some other Adobe aps come with fonts that are installed in their local paths, but not in the system’s font directory, which means that the application can find and use them.

But if Distiller isn’t pointed to the auxiliary locations, it can’t find or embed them.

Ar
MK
michael_kamp
Apr 4, 2007
First, thank all of you for your answers! But they didn’t solve the problem… there are surely no legal restrictions with Arial, Gustavo, and the font location folder is OK as well, Art.

I made a test today:
I made a PSD and a Word document, both containing nothing but the word "test" in Arial. Then I created a PDF from both, with the Adobe PDF Printer (both times using the standard settings). The PDF from Word had the font embedded, and the PDF from PSD hadn’t! (BTW, the text wasn’t rasterized as I said in my first post, but vectorized – hhmmm, I could live with that!)

Then I saved the PSD as Photoshop PDF, and – the font was embedded!

Then I did all the same on a second PC – same results!

So I wonder what happens when YOU create a PDF out of Photoshop with the Adobe PDF printer? Surely you’ll get the fonts embedded, don’t you? So where is the setting I’m missing?
MR
michael_r_patriquen
Apr 4, 2007
When you choose "Print to Adobe PDF"- you are using Distiller. On the printer Preferences tab- are found all of the settings for that- to choose anything, including embedding. If you hadn’t set your preferences then & there, your pdf was created using the same settings as it had when last used.

-Michael.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections