DT
Posted By
Don_Tate
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many newer DVD players will display jpeg photos saved on a CD-R. Since these are intended for playback on a TV, can they be saved at a lower resolution and size than I would typically use for printing. The batch processing capability works great for quickly converting a lot of jpegs to a specific resolution or size. DHT

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 21, 2004
I have only tried to display images from two different digital cameras. And both of them save JPEG images at 72 PPI. I have displayed these images from a CD through my DVD player and they have looked just fine. I haven’t tried reducing the dimensions, but with the cost of CDs being what it is today, it wouldn’t be that costly or difficult to try a couple of different sizes and compare the results. Actually, you could just take a series of test images, make a copy of each, make the copy smaller, save them all to the same CD and compare.
LM
Lou_M
Jun 22, 2004
Resolution (uh-oh, here we go again! 🙂 ) is irrelevant on a TV. The maximum dimensions for a US (NTSC) TV (non-HD) is 640×480 in "square" pixels like those used on a computer.

It’s actually 720×480 (or something close to that) in non-square (rectangular) pixels that TVs use.

So you can resize your images to 640×480 in Elements, and maybe use Unsharp Mask along the way, to get the best images for a TV.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections