TC
Posted By
Tom_Campbell_671
Nov 28, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS2, v9.0.2 on Mac, is there a way to import grayscale images onto a CMYK layout so they only appear in the black channel. Currently, when I import a grayscale image, it converts it to CMYK and distributes the image into the four color channels.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RG
Rene_Garneau
Nov 28, 2008
Yes, you can do it.

With your grayscale image open, select the Channel Tab/Palette > Click on the channel (called gray) > Command+A to Select all > Copy.

Then, in your CMYK document, select the Channel Tab/Palette > click on the black channel > then Paste.

Voila.
TC
Tom_Campbell_671
Nov 28, 2008
Thank you for helping but when I follow your procedure, the marquee of the selected area from my grayscale image appears on the black channel, but no image. Could it be a preference or color management setting that I need to change?
RG
Rene_Garneau
Nov 28, 2008
I don’t think so.

Is the correct layer selected in the grayscale file?

Looks like you’re copying nothing, therefore you’re pasting nothing, so to speak.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 28, 2008
It’s important to know what layer is active. The background layer, or layer with the channel value you need to replace must be active. Go to the layers panel and select the right layer before you paste.
JM
J_Maloney
Nov 28, 2008
Darnit Rene.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Nov 28, 2008
🙂
TC
Tom_Campbell_671
Nov 28, 2008
Okay, here is what I learned using your posts. I am opening a grayscale jpg photo (commercial art of an automobile, so white background. I select just the car using the Magic Wand tool to select the white areas then inverting the selection. Copy.

Go to my cmyk document. I have found that the copied image will only paste correctly to a background layer in the black channel using simply the paste command.

To paste to a higher layer, select that layer, select the black channel, then paste. A marquee appears representing the outline of the image to be pasted. Resize the marquee if necessary using the Free Transform function. Click on the CMYK channel. Fill the marquee with a color using the paint bucket. Click on the black channel. Paste again. The image of the car comes in at 100%. Resize to the same percentage as before using the Free Transform tool. Click back to CMYK channel and continue with the project.

Does anybody know any shortcuts?
BJ
Bob_Janusz
Nov 29, 2008
Simply deselect after the first transform.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections