CS4 Black & White Adjustment – Missing Sliders ?

SJ
Posted By
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Nov 25, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In CS3 the Black & White Adjustment Layer dialogue offered two sliders for adding a tint. These were Hue and Saturation, and were delightfully easy to use.

In CS4 the Black & White Adjustment Layer non-modal tab does not have these two sliders; instead you have to click on the square called “tint” which opens up the ‘Select target color:’ dialogue. OK – so ‘hue’ has a slider, but adjusting the saturation requires entering a figure into a box (or all the arrow key stuff). Not anywhere near as convenient nor intuitive as sliders.

It is possible to regain this flexibility by directly converting the image to Black & White using the Black & White conversion dialogue available from the menu, but then this means that it has to be on a copy of the image and is, therefore, not re-adjustable later.

Is it possible to have the modal dialogues back for Adjustment Layers, along with all the adjustments previously available, or are CS4 users stuck with the Adjustments Panel – as is ?

Any other suggestions for getting these two useful slider back ? (but why take them away in the first place ?)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 25, 2008
In CS4 the Black & White Adjustment Layer non-modal tab does not have these two sliders; instead you have to click on the square called “tint” which opens up the ‘Select target color:’ dialogue. OK – so ‘hue’ has a slider, but adjusting the saturation requires entering a figure into a box (or all the arrow key stuff). Not anywhere near as convenient nor intuitive as sliders.

Just click on the radio button for Saturation and you get a slider for it.

It’s the same with any of the Channels in the Color Picker. You can have very fine control if you use the radio buttons and their accompanying Slider.
R
Ram
Nov 25, 2008
click on the radio button for Saturation

Not seeing any such thing here…

?
B
Buko
Nov 25, 2008
if you got to image adjustments the sat /hue sliders are there

in the adjustment layer panel since they are layers they each have their own panel.
SJ
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Nov 25, 2008
Rámon and Buko, thanks for your messages but I think you missed the important bit. I’m not trying to adjust the hue/saturation of the ‘b’image’b’ but of the b tint b in the Black & White Adjustment panel. Of course, you are correct in what you say. I would be delighted to post you a screen-shot which makes this clear but I assume this forum does not support the upload of images.

Warm wishes to you both.
B
Buko
Nov 25, 2008
but I think you missed the important bit.

no

in the adjustment layer panel since they are layer adjustments they each have their own panel.
SJ
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Nov 25, 2008
Hi Ann.
Aha a slider in the dialogue box! But, alas, no sliders on the panel.

Buko.
You are right each has their own panel. But I have no slider adjustments for ‘Hue" and "Saturation" for the "Tint" on the Black and White panel – just a check box, on or off (click on the tint colour opens the generic ‘Color picker’ dialogue box). Sadly, no sliders on my panel.
R
Ram
Nov 25, 2008
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 25, 2008
Ramón:

If you check the Tint box and then click on the Color Square, you open the Color picker and can then use the Radio Buttons and Sliders in the normal way to adjust the color of your Tint..

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xsRmjoI1nituotPjg 7Qiw1dlRl0p1>
R
Ram
Nov 25, 2008
Sorry, Ann. I guess I misread your post.
B
Buko
Nov 25, 2008
But I have no slider adjustments for "Hue" and "Saturation" for the "Tint"

you do if you click on the hue/sat panel
R
Ram
Nov 25, 2008
you do if you click on the hue/sat panel

What if there is no "hue/sat panel" open (yet)?

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=14olr92PtMskyvQRvN V4ZpCkxhGzC>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Nov 26, 2008
We are at cross-purposes here:

Simon is talking about using a Black and White Adjustment Layer.

It is in the palette for that kind of layer that you will see the Tint Box with the little colored square beside it.

If you check the Tint Box and then CLICK on the little colored square, you will open the regular Color Picker (as shown in # Eight).

At that time, Sliders are available for any selected channel, or choice of input, when you click its dedicated Radio Button.
———-
Sliders for Colorizing can be reached from a Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer — but that is a different scenario from the one which Simon was talking about.
R
Ram
Nov 26, 2008
Ann,

Simon is talking about using a Black and White Adjustment Layer.

Good, so am I. 🙂 That’s what my screen shot shows too.

So far so good.

It was Buko’s post that threw me a curve.

Sliders for Colorizing can be reached from a Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer — but that is a different scenario from the one which Simon was talking about.

Right.
SJ
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Nov 26, 2008
The simplicity of pictures !

Now that I have mastered Pixentral (wonderful site) I can show you exactly what I mean. Below:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1pjgoPVwfh3JhQcTyV ky97GaNfENRH>

All is now revealed (hopefully) !

Best wishes to all. And thank you for your contributions.
B
Buko
Nov 26, 2008
What you guys are missing is they are adjustment layers. So after you make the tint . Hit the back button on the adjustment panel and go to the hue tint panel now you have another adjustment layer. this way you have much more control.
SJ
Simon_J.A._Simpson
Nov 26, 2008
Buko.
Thanks for your suggestion, which does indeed work.

I have another to make which is after having added a ‘Black and White’ layer you add a ‘Hue/Saturation’ layer. By ticking the "Colorize" box one can add a tint, and then adjust its hue and saturation with sliders. Buko, is this what you were trying to tell us ?

However, for my money, I would prefer to have this all in one place, as in the dialogue box.

Best wishes.
B
Buko
Nov 26, 2008
Yes that is what I was referring to. keep in mind they are adjustment layers having them in separate panels gives you more control.

In the B&W image adjustment in the pulldown menu that is a destructive adjustment.
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2008
This is where I was getting stuck, Buko:

So after you make the tint . Hit the back button on the adjustment panel and go to the hue/sat panel

I still had the Color Picker window open, so the Back Button did nothing. Duh!

Thanks for clarifying ("So after you make the tint"). In other words, "close the damnn window, then hit the Back Button and create a H/S adjustment layer". 😀
B
Buko
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah! B)
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2008
🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections