Ed_Wurster
Jun 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

1. I have a rounded-rectangle shape, and would like to stroke this with a
smooth blue line. How would I do that?

2. What are the simplest ways to use the shape for selection purposes?

3. What is the simplest way to use the shape as a mask?

I’m working in RGB mode, and the graphics will be output for web, in PNG format.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 6, 2004
Ed, do I understand that you want to put a blue stroke around a rectangle of a different color? I would use the Magic Wand tool to select the shape, then Edit>Stroke, set to outside, X pixels and your blue color. With respect to using the shape for selection purposes, I’m not sure what you want to do, but again, selecting it with the Magic Wand gives you the marching ants, which you can then apply to any other layer as a selection. If you mean by a ‘mask’ that you want the inverse of the selection, use Magic Wand with the shape then Select>Inverse to give you everything but the shape selected.

Chuck S.
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 6, 2004
Elements can’t do these things directly- (they are all available in the paths palette of PS) As Chuck says you have to convert to a selection first and then use the selection to do what you want.

Susan S
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jun 7, 2004
wrote:
Elements can’t do these things directly- (they are all available in the paths palette of PS) As Chuck says you have to convert to a selection first and then use the selection to do what you want.
Susan S

I was afraid that would be the final answer.

Given that I cannot use the work path that I see on my screen when I draw a shape, what methods would you suggest for making a smooth stroke on the work path?

Similarly, I want to turn the shape into a layer mask.

I’m working with a rounded rectangle shape (radius 10 pixels) and want to minimize stepping in the corners.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 7, 2004
Ed,
In response to your second question – What are the simplest ways to use the shape for selection purposes?

Do you mean that you want to crop a portion of a picture usign a specific shape? Here, for example is how to crop using a heart shape:
1. Select heart shape from the Custom Shape picker pull-down menu.
2. Draw heart on picture, creating new layer. Don’t worry about the
exact location of the heart at this time.
3. Move heart layer below picture layer (if picture layer is the Background layer, you will have to rename it first).
4. Select picture layer and group it with heart layer (CTRL-G).
5. Use Move tool to position heart over desired location (either layer
can be active for this).
4. CTRL-Click shape layer to select outlined picture for copying & pasting or whatever.

If this is not what you meant in your question, at least you have learned something else new!!

Mark
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jun 7, 2004
Mark_Sand wrote:

Do you mean that you want to crop a portion of a picture usign a specific shape? Here, for example is how to crop using a heart shape:
1. Select heart shape from the Custom Shape picker pull-down menu.
2. Draw heart on picture, creating new layer. Don’t worry about the exact location of the heart at this time.
3. Move heart layer below picture layer (if picture layer is the Background layer, you will have to rename it first).
4. Select picture layer and group it with heart layer (CTRL-G).
5. Use Move tool to position heart over desired location (either layer
can be active for this).
4. CTRL-Click shape layer to select outlined picture for copying & pasting or whatever.

If this is not what you meant in your question, at least you have learned something else new!!

Thanks Mark. That answers the cropping question.

Still looking for the best way to stroke the heart shape, to minimize stepping in a low-res final (72 ppi.)

Ed
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 7, 2004
To stroke a custom shape:

1. Select and drag out the shape to create a new layer.
2. Ctrl-Click on the shape layer. Now the path outline will "sparkle." That’s because the selection marque is overlapping the path.
3. Click the New Layer button on layers palette.
The selection marquee will look normal now.
4. On new layer, Edit > Stroke.
Choose a width, color, and location for the outline.
5. The shape layer is not needed now – can be deleted.
6. Ctrl-Click new layer to select the outlined shape
for copying & pasting.

Note: The outlined shape is not a vector object so it can’t be scaled without some loss in quality.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jun 7, 2004
Mark_Sand wrote:
To stroke a custom shape:

1. Select and drag out the shape to create a new layer.
2. Ctrl-Click on the shape layer. Now the path outline will "sparkle." That’s because the selection marque is overlapping the path.
3. Click the New Layer button on layers palette.
The selection marquee will look normal now.
4. On new layer, Edit > Stroke.
Choose a width, color, and location for the outline.
5. The shape layer is not needed now – can be deleted.
6. Ctrl-Click new layer to select the outlined shape
for copying & pasting.

Note: The outlined shape is not a vector object so it can’t be scaled without some loss in quality.

Exactly what I was looking for. Just make sure you don’t have the move tool selected, or you cannot stroke the line.

Unfortunately, you have to share 1st prize with yourself.

Thanks very much, Mark.

Ed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections