G
Posted By
garyoa1
Jan 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Seems fairly simple. Deactivate one, activate the other.

However, I used laplink pcmover to transfer to the new system. (Not for the faint of heart, BTW)

All works well after some tweaking (and kicking the machine) but, of course Photoshop and Illustrator (CS2’s) won’t work. Haven’t tried to deactivate them on the old machine yet since I use them both 90 hours a day and they are critical programs.

Now, the reason I haven’t tried it yet… my problem…

When I click to open either PS or IL on the new system, the activation panel comes up. So far, so good. But if I click on activate (30 day trial is up)… I get an error saying "not enough disk space, remove some files and try again".

Ok… but with 50 gig free, I doubt that’s the problem. So my question is… is this normal before reactivation on a new machine? Or am I going to be stuck installing everything all over again? Reinstalling usually means the 9000 filters installed with it all have to be reinstalled as well. Not fun.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 23, 2007
Why not just install from the original disks?
G
garyoa1
Jan 23, 2007
As I said, because reinstalling would mean all filters and addons would have to be reinstalled as well. It’s the time factor. Finding all the programs, disks, s#’s, resetting my custom settings etc.

But the question is, if I do reinstall will I get the same "disc space" error. I just don’t know if that’s normal or not and hate to reinstall everything and run into the same error. So reinstalling everything would just be a waste of time.

Now FWIW, when I get the error, the program just closes. No chance to do anything else. Can’t even get at the phone # to call Adobe. And yes I can, of course, get at it on the old machine.

I guess a lot of my point is, I want to have the new machine ready so I can just deactivate the old one and instantly activate the new one. I don’t want to deactivate and then spend hours (or days!)getting the new machine to accept the activation. That would kind of put me out of business for too long.

Oh, for the pre copy protection days. 🙁
DM
Don_McCahill
Jan 23, 2007
I suspect that the copy protection wizards were clever enough to come up with a system that prevents people from installing on one system, then mirroring it over to others. Something is hidden, and Adobe won’t let you make things work till it is installed.

Why not install now from the disks. Your filters and addons should all be installed and in the right place … I’m pretty sure a reinstall won’t erase them. Less than a half hour to do an install should get you up and running.
S
stevent
Jan 23, 2007
The Photoshop uninstall shouldn’t remove anything it didn’t install, so it should leave all your plugins where they are.

Reinstalling won’t overwrite or remove any non-PS plugins either.

I’ve done it plenty of times (though I now have them in an external folder).
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jan 23, 2007
Gary,

I’ve seen others report that same disk space problem in regards to activation, but I’ve not seen a solution posted, so it’s hard to say how to address that.

What you’ve not said, is whether this new machine is your 2nd on which you’ve installed PS CS2 or a 3rd? If only the 2nd, then you needn’t worry about deactivating the 1st since the license permits 2 activations provided that the two systems aren’t used concurrently.

While you can clone a disk with PS CS2 on it, that will not solve the activation problem since it is tied to the actual hard drive on which PS CS2 is installed. I assume pcmover would be no better than disk cloning and quite likely not as good. Regardless, what cloning (and probably pcmover) will do however, is duplicate the product license files so that upon launching PS CS2, a conflict will arise and you will be forced to reactivate without even being given a 30-day use period.

It has been a long time since I’ve done this, but I believe that if you delete the Product License files before launching PC CS2 and if it is on a new hard drive, then the License Manager will not detect the original installation and you will be given the 30-day grace period. Perhaps deleting the Product License files will also solve the disk space error; if you cannot delete them, try changing their permissions first. The product license files are in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe Systems\Product licenses".

If you find that the bulk of your filters have to be reinstalled to work properly, then that’s just a fact of life I’d say. Mine are perhaps 50/50 on that, but even then I’ve worked around that for several, by exporting their registration keys from the Windows Registry using Regedit and importing them on the new PC.

Installing/reinstalling PS CS2 shouldn’t factor in on whether or not you also have to reinstall 3rd party filters, provided that you keep the installation path for PS CS2 the same.

Hope that helps.

Daryl
G
garyoa1
Feb 2, 2007
Ok, no luck. That’s what I was afraid of. Reinstalled illustrator, same deal. Not enuff disk space to continue when I click on activate.

So again, is this normal? I simply can’t afford to deactivate the registered version until I can immediately activate it on the new machine.

Anyone?
G
garyoa1
Feb 2, 2007
Oops. For some reason this last post didn’t show up. Sorry. At any rate, I thot it was able to install on two machines, but couldn’t find that anywhere. It’s only registered on one machine.

Thanx Daryl, I’ll give that a shot. Also, for some reason I can’t subscribe to this thread either so I don’t get notices when someone posts. All in all… not a good day. 🙂
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 2, 2007
Hi Gary,

It seems we’ve cross-posted, and you’ve now answered the question about this being a 2nd or 3rd PC. OK, so being it is the second, then deactivation of the other PC is not a concern at all, at least not so far as activation of the new PC is concerned. So, the main issue to tackle is that regarding the error message you’re seeing, in which case all I know to sugggest it what I mentioned earlier about deleting the Product License data which PCMover most likely copied from the old to the new hard drive.

Regards,

Daryl
G
garyoa1
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah Daryl, but no luck. Couldn’t dump the dat files and couldn’t change permissions. Safe mode or thru cmd wouldn’t do it. Been a long time since I had that problem.

At any rate, completely uninstalled Ill cs2, reinstalled and getting some other kind of error. I’m too busy screaming to remember just what it was. Couldn’t load something or other was missing. Ran a repair, same thing.

Now, PS & ILL are both upgrades and same problem I had originally. On the original machine, neither would install by reading the old full version disks. Had to install both PS 7 and ILL 9 for them to take. So it’s not really a 5 minute process, which is why I wasn’t looking forward to it in the first place.

Reinstalled PS cs2 just by overwriting and get the same disk space error. Of course, it really wouldn’t let me reinstall it, just repair it.

Not a happy camper. But just don’t have time to play these silly games. The new machine is 3 floors away on a work bench and setting it up in my office before it’s ready isn’t really practical. Still have to add the sound card and power supply from the old machine but can’t till the new one is up and running. Haven’t tried acrobat pro yet, but everything else seems to be fine. Just anything that has "Adobe" attached to it is a problem.

But, things are looking up. At least I got a notification of a new post here. 🙂
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Feb 3, 2007
Hey Gary,

Sorry to hear you’re having such a hard time. I’m not familiar with pcmover, but I wonder if it could’ve done anything awry to make a mess of things? I’ve only used Drive Image and Norton Ghost for any drive cloning, and I think deleting the Product License data files was all I had to do before launching PS CS2 so that it would activate properly.

Regardless, it is strange you cannot delete those files. One brute force approach if you can do so easily, would be to take that hard drive and install it as a slave on your old PC, boot the old PC, and delete the files on the new drive under that environment. But, here’s another idea that might work, the approach being taken as if you want to delete all CS2 product licenses, so that all can be activated when launched:

1) Locate the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe Systems\Product licenses" and open the Properties dialog.

2) Go to the Security tab and select the Advanced button, then select the Owner tab on the Advanced settings dialog.

3) I’m assuming you are the sole user and Administrator user, or else have placed your username in the Administrators group. If so, then under "Current owner of this item", change that to your user name if not already shown as such. If you are shown as the owner already, then this idea may not work and you can just exit out of these dialogs. If you’re not the Admin or in the Administrators group, that may well be the problem in and of itself.

4) Check the box for "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

5) OK the changes and OK to close the Properties dialog.

6) Possibly unnecessary, but launch Administrative Tools > Services and look at the list of Services to see if there is an entry for "Adobe LM Service". If so, right click it and if "Stop" isn’t grayed out, meaning the service is active, then Stop it. I don’t know whether that Service will look for the Product License files and tie them up so they can’t be deleted, but hopefully this step will ensure that’s not the case.

7) Now, return to your Product License folder, select the Properties again, and check the permissions to ensure you have Full Control. If not, set that and make the change effective to all content. Do the same with the Read Only status; if set, remove it and apply to all content.

8 ) Finally, try deleting all product license files in the folder. If that doesn’t work, I’m stumped.

9) If all goes well and you’ve deleted the product license files, try launching PS CS2 to see if you can now go through and activate it without the disk space errors arising.

Good luck!

Daryl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections