IS Photoshop CS4 fit, stable, not glitchy, smooth, bugless for OS10.5.4?

GL
Posted By
glenn_losack
Nov 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
before i install, please all those who have done so please chime in. am also referring to the new bridge and ACR 5

Im on a MACPRO, 10 GB RAM
QUAD 4.5 GB RAM
MacBook Pro 4 GB RAM

all except the quad with 10.5.4
the quad has 10.4.11

am i OK to upgrade? from CS3……..

be frank and honest
thanks
gl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
DYP
Nov 1, 2008
If you don’t print from it using "PS Manages Color" it should be just fine.
R
Ram
Nov 1, 2008
Glenn,

I don’t get anywhere near Leopard, but you’ll find it very difficult to get a response in regard to 10.5.4. Practically all Leopard users are running 10.5.5.

I cannot confirm what DYP says, but if it were true, then CS4 would be worthless, as far as I’m concerned.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 1, 2008
am i OK to upgrade? from CS3……..

Yes…and the sooner the better cause there is a learning curve, so keep CS3 handy for mission critical needs.
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 1, 2008
im still waiting for more users
but thanks to all of you

Jeff you are scaring me. why the learning curve?
Ramon you and Anne are the best there is…

Jeff do you have 10.5.5
and is it ok and in fact recommended
im stuck at 10.5.4 afraid to fall in the muck
R
Ram
Nov 1, 2008

That caught my attention too, for sure. But I’ve learned to trust what Jeff says.

I’m definitely waiting for the trial version, the next version of ACR and Jeff’s book.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 1, 2008
I don’t know why you’d be afraid to upgrade to 10.5.5 every step on an OS is improved. 10.5.5 runs great here.

I run a MacPro Quad 2.66 with 16GB RAM and a MacBookPro 2.4ghz with 4 GB RAM, both run OS10.5.5 without issues. The only problem I’ve experienced with CS4 is related to having multiple, different, video cards installed in the MacPro. With a single graphics card CS4 is stable as can be.
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 1, 2008
thanks Scott

appreciate it alot.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 1, 2008

Because of the changes and improvements, you will alter your workflow.

CS4 offers tabbed viewing, the Adjustment panel and the Mask panel that fundamentally changes the way you may want to deploy adjustment layers and how you use masks. It will take a while to learn how to use the new features and take advantage of them. And yes, part of that is the new functionality contained in Camera Raw 5.x which also alters what you do in CR vs. Ps. The local controls in CR 5 kinda changes the game plan a bit.

Yes, I’m running 10.5.5 (and unlike some, I have ZERO problems printing in Leopard)
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 1, 2008
thanks Jeff for your response
helps me a great deal in rushing to open that Blue BOX.
RM
Rick McCleary
Nov 2, 2008
MacPro 8-core 2.66
NVIDIA 8800 GT video card
16Gb RAM

Absolutely no problems with CS4. Very smooth, very fast. Yes, there is a learning curve, as Jeff says. But, if you’re an adaptable sort of guy, it will take you a very short period of time to get used to the new way of doing things.

For me, the biggest change in the way I work is necessitated by the new curves adjustment panel. Old CS3 keyboard shortcuts don’t work. If I could have the old way back, I’d take it in a second. But the improvements in CS4 far outweigh any inconvenience brought about by the change in keyboard shortcuts.

And, BTW, no problems printing. Same predictable output as in CS3. (From both driver and RIP.)

Go for it.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Nov 2, 2008
It runs great here as well 10.5.5 MacPro. You will like this upgrade
N
nunatak
Nov 2, 2008
CS4 offers tabbed viewing, the Adjustment panel and the Mask panel that fundamentally changes the way you may want to deploy adjustment layers and how you use masks.

Some people are going to hate this. They’ll be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. But then everyone is skeptical about change — except those whom have suffered most from mistakes made in the past.

Don’t forget to vote this Tuesday. I’m nunatak — and I approve this message. 🙂
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 2, 2008
Don’t forget to vote this Tuesday.

For the first time since I was in high school, I’ve actually registered to vote and intend to.

Who?

I’m voting for the guy from Chicago!
R
Ram
Nov 2, 2008
He should win in a landslide.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 2, 2008
Thought that about Al Gore too…)who would elect a dummy for president, why we would of course)

Sorry, off the politics and back onto Photoshop!
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Nov 2, 2008
"For me, the biggest change in the way I work is necessitated by the new curves adjustment panel. Old CS3 keyboard shortcuts don’t work. If I could have the old way back, I’d take it in a second. But the improvements in CS4 far outweigh any inconvenience brought about by the change in keyboard shortcuts. "

This change in keyboard shortcuts for Curves has been and still is a major hurdle for me, whatever the putative benefits. It feels terribly awkward, makes me lose much time, and I can’t help wondering, was this change really necessary? But the installation with 10.5.5 has posed no problems in terms of stability and operation and there are some real enhancements. I’ve been amazed at how smoothly printing has gone to an Epson 3800. Whether there is a real-world difference or not, I like the fact of being able to print in 16-bit/ channel.
R
Ram
Nov 2, 2008
Ralph,

Aren’t the keyboard shortcuts editable?

Also, I thought there was an option to revert to the CS3 shortcuts? I may have misread that, I haven’t upgraded yet.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 2, 2008
What shortcuts are changed? Command-M brings up Curves, Command-L brings up levels.. am I missing something?
RM
Rick McCleary
Nov 3, 2008
Scott –

Command-M and Command-L bring up the old modal curves and levels dialogs. They use all the old, familiar keyboard shortcuts. The only snag is that they’re not adjustment layers; once you hit "OK", the edit is permanent.

The new non-modal adjustment panel gives access to the curves and levels adjustment layers. That’s where the new keyboard shortcuts need to be used.
HP
HEAD_Productions
Nov 3, 2008
I get constant crashing. No problem with CS3. Like the new tools. GUI is bit flat and has some glitches.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 3, 2008
I thought Hillary was from Chicago.

,G>
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 3, 2008
I thought Hillary was from Chicago.

Naw…she’s from the "North Shore" and now lives in NY…
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Nov 3, 2008
I should have been more explicit, sorry. I was refering to the fact that navigation between points on an Adjustment Layer’s Curve can no longer be done with Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab. This allowed me to use my left hand to navigate between points and my right (using the arrow keys) to make adjustments. In the present set-up, it is necessary to use the plus and minus keys, which I find a bother. There would appear to be some glitches with the Adjustment Layer’s Curves panel when shifting between Standard and Expanded view, as in the former the arrow keys give you 2-step increments whereas in the latter it is 1 step. I prefer the latter. Furthermore, if you shift between Standard and Expanded views while making adjustments, the pointing finger is ‘de-acttivated’ and must be re-activated, and I’ve found no keyboard shortcut for accessing it if one wishes to use it. It is such a pleasure to find point Curves in ACR 5, which continues to work in the old way.
RM
Rick McCleary
Nov 3, 2008
navigation between points on an Adjustment Layer’s Curve can no longer be done with Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab. This allowed me to use my left hand to navigate between points and my right (using the arrow keys) to make adjustments.

Ralph –

Yes, that was a pretty ergonomically wonderful way of working with curves. My muscle memory had gotten to the point that I made color adjustments like playing a piano – not looking at the keys, not thinking, just doing.

In the present set-up, it is necessary to use the plus and minus keys, which I find a bother.

I’m experimenting with a new approach. Once points are placed, I use my left hand to cycle through channels (option-2 through 6 for CMYK), and the middle finger on my right hand to work the "+" and "-" keys, and the thumb on my right hand to work the arrow keys. Not as elegant as the old way, but workable.

the pointing finger is ‘de-acttivated’ and must be re-activated, and I’ve found no keyboard shortcut for accessing it if one wishes to use it.

Yes, a definite drag. A keyboard shortcut to activate the on-screen adjustment tool would be great. Does anyone know if one exists?

There would appear to be some glitches with the Adjustment Layer’s Curves panel when shifting between Standard and Expanded view

Why not leave it in Expanded view?

point Curves in ACR 5, which continues to work in the old way

Nice, but it offers no joy for CMYK work.
P
PShock
Nov 3, 2008
Why not leave it in Expanded view?

Can’t speak for anyone else but some of us prefer floating pallets on a secondary monitor rather than use the "expanding panels".

My pallet monitor was already tight as it was … now I must make room for yet another (highly important), pallet that’s huge when expanded. I’m thinking I’ll have to purchase a larger secondary monitor just for this …

Just installed CS4 this morning but I honestly don’t get the benefit of an "always-open" adjustment layer. It doesn’t make workflow faster – it’s just in the way!

-phil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections