How do I make a smooth image from a rough shape?

A
Posted By
anti-spam
Sep 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably a really easy one for you lot.

I’ve got a picture of a horseshoe, and have enlarged it to the size I want. Trouble is that the outer edges of the shape (it is just a silhouette) are quite rough.

I’d like to make this shape smooth on the outer edges. Have tried to manually trace around it, but it’s looking too sketch like for what I want (a logo).

Any ideas?

**SS**

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 28, 2005
"Secret Squiddle" wrote in message

I’ve got a picture of a horseshoe, and have enlarged it to the size I want. Trouble is that the outer edges of the shape (it is just a silhouette) are quite rough.

I’d like to make this shape smooth on the outer edges. Have tried to manually trace around it, but it’s looking too sketch like for what I want (a logo).

One way is to do a gaussian blur, with the radius large enough to get rid of the roughness, and then use levels to bump the contrast and get a smooth edge of the correct size.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
FN
Flo Nelson
Sep 28, 2005

Any ideas?

**SS**

If Mike’s suggestion doesn’t work with that image, you could trace around it with the pen tool, being careful to use a minimum number of points. Then select the inverse and delete.

Flo
A
anti-spam
Sep 29, 2005
"Flo Nelson" wrote in message

Any ideas?

**SS**

If Mike’s suggestion doesn’t work with that image, you could trace around it with the pen tool, being careful to use a minimum number of points. Then select the inverse and delete.

Flo

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give them both a try later, and see which works best.
**SS**
T
Tacit
Sep 29, 2005
In article <433ac867$0$525$>,
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

For starters, you are making a mistake by designing a logo in Photoshop. Photoshop is not an appropriate tool for logo design; what you are doing is needlessly frustrating and difficult because it is like using a screwdriver to hammer nails.

The better tool for your purpose is a vector tool like Adobe Illustrator. If you draw your logo in Illustrator, the edges will always be smooth and you can resize the logo to absolutely any size you need with zero loss in quality.

In Photoshop, if you are trying to make a smooth-edged object like a horseshoe, use the Pen tool.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
A
anti-spam
Oct 1, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
In article <433ac867$0$525$>,
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

I’d like to make this shape smooth on the outer edges. Have tried to manually trace around it, but it’s looking too sketch like for what I want
(a logo).

For starters, you are making a mistake by designing a logo in Photoshop. Photoshop is not an appropriate tool for logo design; what you are doing is needlessly frustrating and difficult because it is like using a screwdriver to hammer nails.

The better tool for your purpose is a vector tool like Adobe Illustrator. If you draw your logo in Illustrator, the edges will always be smooth and you can resize the logo to absolutely any size you need with zero loss in quality.

In Photoshop, if you are trying to make a smooth-edged object like a horseshoe, use the Pen tool.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Thanks for the suggestion Tacit, but Photoshop is only program I have, and I don’t think I can afford Illustrator. Any cheaper vector programs that will do the job? (or even better freeware)

**SS**
T
Tacit
Oct 1, 2005
In article <433e77a1$0$21365$>,
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Tacit, but Photoshop is only program I have, and I don’t think I can afford Illustrator. Any cheaper vector programs that will do the job? (or even better freeware)

CorelDRAW is a vector drawing program that’s significantly cheaper than Illustrator. It is not as capable as Illustrator, but for logo design it’s fine.

A
anti-spam
Oct 2, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Tacit, but Photoshop is only program I have, and I
don’t think I can afford Illustrator. Any cheaper vector programs that will
do the job? (or even better freeware)

CorelDRAW is a vector drawing program that’s significantly cheaper than Illustrator. It is not as capable as Illustrator, but for logo design it’s fine.

I will check it out. Thanks 🙂

**SS**
WD
Walter Donavan
Oct 2, 2005
Use a bigger horseshoe. 🙂

"tacit" wrote in message
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Tacit, but Photoshop is only program I have, and I
don’t think I can afford Illustrator. Any cheaper vector programs that will

**SS**

WD
Walter Donavan
Oct 2, 2005
test
"Walterius" wrote in message
Use a bigger horseshoe. 🙂

"tacit" wrote in message
"Secret Squiddle" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Tacit, but Photoshop is only program I
have,
and I
don’t think I can afford Illustrator. Any cheaper vector programs
that
will

CorelDRAW is a vector drawing program that’s significantly cheaper
than
Illustrator. It is not as capable as Illustrator, but for logo design it’s fine.

**SS**

A
anti-spam
Oct 4, 2005
Found a FREEWARE vector graphics program and it does all I need it to.

http://www.inkscape.org/

Open source, freeware everything I need.

I completed the logo I needed in a few hours (including learning how to use this program).

Thanks for all the advice.

**SS**
WD
Walter Donavan
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks for Inkscape!

It is awesome! It has the ease and power of Real-Draw Pro 3, the intuitive nature of PhotoDraw 2, and it is as cool as both. I’m having a ball!

Found a FREEWARE vector graphics program and it does all I need it to.
http://www.inkscape.org/

Open source, freeware everything I need.

I completed the logo I needed in a few hours (including learning how to
use
this program).

Thanks for all the advice.

**SS**

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections