S
Posted By
sonic
Oct 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using Photoshop for a very long time and can’t believe I’ve never figured out a decent way to do this, but I appreciate your help in advance.

I have a work path that has some curves in it. I have a texture that I’ve created that I need to fill this path with. The problem is that the texture stays uniform to itself instead of curving around the corners in the path like it would in ‘real’ life. I expect this, but don’t know how to get around it.

If I search "texture on curve" in Google it thinks I want tutorials on using curves in photoshop.

Anyway, help is appreciated!

OSX, PSCS3

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 30, 2008
You can’t warp a texture with a curve alone — not enough information.

But you can use the warp transform, or the liquify tool to warp the texture to match what you want.
S
sonic
Oct 30, 2008
Those are methods I’ve used, but what a time consuming pain! I guess I’m stuck with it though. Thanks.
P
Phosphor
Oct 30, 2008
In the case of an amorphous texture you could probably create a brush that would work in place of a big square of texture, and use that brush to stroke.

But without seeing specific projects it’d be hard to say what would work or how to go about it.
S
sonic
Oct 30, 2008
Unfortunately, it’s a regular pattern. It’s actually a braided knit pattern (like a very thin rope).
S
sonic
Oct 31, 2008
Well, I ended up doing it the old fashioned way. Used the pattern as usual on straight paths and used warp for corners. If anybody has an easier way, I’m all ears!
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Oct 31, 2008
Sonic – there is one more way using displacement mapping. You can use actions to generate an alpha channel and then run the displace filter using that channel for each shape – certainly quicker, if you set it up properly, than using liquify or warp it will make a predictable distortion of your texture around the surface.

The disadvantage with this are its a very old filter and some of the resampling doesn’t seem to be up to scratch any more – stick to higher higher res files

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections