Posted By
Callum_Ferguson
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all.
Whilst pondering on an upgrade, does anyone know if there would be any advantage in going the 64bit way, or would an AMD 3.2 be as good as any. I Know that PS is not likely to go 64bit soon but things may run sweeter in the 32bit mode, anyone had any experience?
Thanks.

Regards
Malcolm

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2004
Malcom,

I don’t know if you’ve read, but Microsoft is going the 64 bits way in a few years (Mac is already half there, more with Mac OS 10.4). But.. Microsoft upcoming Longhorn will require a more then beefed up PC :

"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today."

The full article can be read here :
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.as p

As for the advantages of the 64 bits, I’d say better multitasking (bigger jobs being done faster, while several others are running), probably things we didn’t think were possible or proved difficult to accomplish will become available (natural speech recognition comes to mind).

One very good example of the bits-getting-bigger road is with videogame consoles… First, there was Sega Master System (Nintendo NES), 8 bits system. 2D graphics, with very small sprites (moving characters). Then came Sega Genesis (Super Nintendo), 16 bits system. More colours, more sprites and bigger animation, more complex game play and a bit of AI (you just couldn’t do the same moves all over the game to win, you had to improvise during some levels). Followed Sega Saturn (Sony Playstation) 32 bits. A taste of 3D in a fix or predefine environment, much richer sound with real human voice recording, full colours half sized moving videos. Bigger graphics, full screen game play, several ways to win with different endings.

Then, variation on a theme, Nintendo 64, 64 bits. This console had problem, so we’ll skip it 😉

Finally, we met the big boys… Sega Dreamcast (Nintendo Game Cube, Playstation 2 and Microsoft X-Box). Dreamcast was 128 bits, and I think the other are too. Full screen full colour moving video, Dolby Surround / Digital sound capabilities, online high speed game play (Sega had it from the Genesis, though), accessories that further enhance the game experience (but drawing more processor power) like a small LCD screen in the controllers, a high speed internet adapter (with keyboard, mouse, camera), a hard drive to store game saves and MP3s, etc.

I guess my point is that computers running at 64 bits will follow the path of other devices, consequently further enhancing the computer experience by making more stuff available to the users, adding depth to 3D software for example, making it possible for end users to edit material up until now reserved to companies with dedicated machines, speeding up the tasks that nowadays takes forever to complete (3D rendering for example).

Of course, not everyone will benefit from these advances in technology. I’m still very happy to play Sonic 2 on my Genesis (a classic!) or Super Mario World on my Super Nintendo. Still, I like playing Samba Di Amigo with my friends on the Dreamcast (a game using… Maracas as controlers!), and I wouldn’t part with my GameCube only because of Super Mario World (this game’s graphics are so stunning, it makes wanna jump in the screen to play with Mario and friends!). It’s like Microsoft Office. Several people are buying each new versions coming out, but they rarely use more than 10% of the power of Office 97…

Ray
EDIT : P.S. Sorry for the long post…
CF
Callum_Ferguson
May 11, 2004
Thanks Ray.
Thats the most sensible reply i’ve had. Considering the requirments you mention perhaps my purse would be more suited to an AMD 3.2GHz and keep most of what i have.
Regards
Malcolm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections