SK
Posted By
Stefan_Klein
Aug 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I´m not sure wether I should buy Vista 32 or 64 bit. As far as I know the 64bit version would allow me to address more RAM for Photoshop (3Gigs, right?).
Are there any known issues with PSCS3 extended, Bridge and Lightroom with Vista 64bit? Stefan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
gowanoh
Aug 1, 2007
Photoshop can work under 64 bit Vista or 64 bit XP. Your experience may vary.
However your printer, scanner and color calibration device may not work or may not work as you expect. Many Vista drivers, 32 and the few available 64 bit, are less stable and less functional than 32 bit XP counterparts. It is not clear that Vista unloads color calibration data from the video card with its idiot warning boxes in both 32 and 64 bit flavors. That alone should strike fear into any serious graphics user.
Virus protection may not be adequate for 64 bit Vista.
Both 32 and 64 bit Vista are incompatible with many multimedia programs, including both passive playback, CD/DVD writing as well as video editing programs.
Vista in all flavors is time by your wristwatch slower than XP for all disc access operations. This may negate any imagined, and it is imagined, advantage of being able to fully use 4 gbs of ram in 64 bit Vista. It is inexplicable why Microsoft released any version of Vista that apparently does not have optimized disc access routines and is so much slower than its predecessor.
I encourage you to experiment with 64 bit Vista, and you should look at it as an experiment, but you would be wisest to install it in a dual boot configuration with XP so you will be able to boot to XP to get actual work done instead of constant fiddling with the OS. Unforunately Microsoft decided to punish dual booters by having Vista delete its backup info whenever you boot into XP. This is another inexplicable deliberate decision by Microsoft.
Caveat emptor.
Unfortunately if Microsoft drops support for XP (they don’t dare until Vista is usable and business/government are willing to use it, which they are not currently) Apple is the only other option, and the Apple OS is crippled by limited networkability, small program base and monopolistic inflated pricing for what is actually bottom feeding/mediocre Intel hardware.
SK
Stefan_Klein
Aug 3, 2007
Thank you guys!
Any input of users that actually work with Vista 64bit would be very welcome as well.

Stefan
I
ID._Awe
Aug 3, 2007
Stefan: Pony-up the extra bucks for Vista Ultimate which includes both the 32 & 64 bit versions of the OS, then you can play with both to yer harts content.

I ran all the CS2 apps under Vista 64, but there was not a Acrobat printer for 64 and Illustrator CS totally kakked, so I am waiting for some updates for the CS3 apps and I intend to get the ‘Master Suite’ in the fall.
N
none
Aug 15, 2007
I have been using Windows Vista 64-bit on an AMD-64 computer. CS2 has some issues, but Photoshop works fine. I believe that Acrobat has some problems – in fact, the system kept popping up the install script every time I clicked an icon on the desktop, so I uninstalled that option.

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 05:48:38 -0700, wrote:

Thank you guys!
Any input of users that actually work with Vista 64bit would be very welcome as well.
Stefan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections