Another Bug in Photoshop CS3 or a setting I’m missing?

D
Posted By
Damo303
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Another Bug in CS3 or a setting I’m missing?

This time in Photoshop.

If I add a ‘solid colour’ fill layer and pick a Pantone colour from the ‘Colour Libraries’ I fill it with a Pantone colour and then save the document. When I re-open the document the Pantone Fill layer reverts back to a CMYK setting when I double click on the layer.

I ran a test on CS2 and this definitely doesn’t happen in CS2 so why in CS3?

Its a massive problem and in my eyes makes Photoshop CS3 unusable in a professional environment.

Please tell me its a new setting i’m missing and not a bug.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Oct 23, 2008
Channels>New Spot Channel is what you want I believe.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 23, 2008
Photoshop has never supported spot layers in released versions.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Oct 23, 2008
But a Spot Channel will keep it, and allow it to be printed, right? I’ve always used ID or Illustrator for spot colors myself.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 23, 2008
Channels are not Layers. Channels are components of Layers.
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2008
better start using the gimp
D
Damo303
Oct 24, 2008
No I don’t want to use channels. I want to use a ‘Solid Fill Colour’ layer. If you click on the little icon at the bottom of the layers palette you get a little menu and at the top of that menu you can select ‘Solid Colour’. Then you can select the ‘Colour Libraries’ tab and apply a Pantone Colour as a Solid Fill layer.

Photoshop definitely DOES support this method because we have been using it here for the last few years, its quite standard practice to work like this before going into channel work or DCS work.

It means you can double click a layer to reveal its intended Pantone colour rather than cmyk match.

As I say it works fine in CS2.

Well it seems its another bug in a very poor update. I just hope CS4 doesn’t have the same problems.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Oct 24, 2008
Hmmm, puzzling, I’ve never seen that. I remember always having to use a spot channel.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2008
You are correct Cindy — you do need to use a Spot color CHANNEL for Press output.

If I understand Damo correctly, his outfit is using this method as a way of displaying their intended final output but I don’t understand why they find it beneficial.

But of course the color will read in the info palette as CMYK or RGB values because his Solid Color Adjustment Layer (although chosen from the Pantone library) is not being used as a Pantone INK but as a Process color representation of a Pantone color.

Big difference.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Oct 24, 2008
Ann,

That’s what I was thinking. It seems as if Damo is saying that his fill layer used to produce a spot plate in CS2 but now it’s not in CS3.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 24, 2008
He is either very confused, speaking about the wrong application, or not conveying his problem correctly.
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 24, 2008
Dano:

I’m replicating it here too. Seems to work fine on RGB docs, coughs on CMYK. Of course in every test, the spot is called back up. Maybe someone can give you pointers on which range/spots might not go back in forth so well.

J
JM
J_Maloney
Oct 24, 2008
I’m thinking OP wants solid color layers to save the spot info in the file. Just for convenience only. What spot were we trying to match? Oh, yeah, its there in the solid color layer, PMS xxx. In RGB docs, this works fine. In CMYK docs, the spot info goes to LAB/RGB/CMYK values and the spot number is lost upon closing the doc. Odd.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 24, 2008
ah –

understand now.

It’s a minor bug or a color space transformation fix.

Depends upon how you see it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections