RW
Posted By
Ros_Woodham
Sep 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I am tearing my hair out over something which I believe should be simple.

I have a logo which I need to produse in 2 colours. I have it on a black channel with the logo in black and the background in white. I need the logo in pantone 388 and the background in black.

The logo has gradients of colour.

Any help very much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 22, 2008
Well, let’s start here. Do you know that in Photoshop, you apply spot colors through the channels panel, not by directly coloring an object or layer? (No condescension intended… just can’t tell from your post how experienced you are.)

You need a selection in a new spot channel that matches the logo itself. You need to remove data on the other channels (CMYK) within that same selection. You need to not expect to see on screen a precise rendition of what the inks will produce on paper.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 22, 2008
Ros,

Also be aware that the best tool for creating most logos is Illustrator, which allows for virtually infinite scaling while maintaining sharpness, along with a small file size. Most corporate identity programs do it this way. In addition, it is also easier to control or change spot colors in Illustrator. Much easier!

Neil
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 22, 2008
Also be aware that Neil didn’t really mean what he said 🙂 .

He meant to say logos are most easily and usefully made in a vector application. Illustrator is only one of those. There are others. Many would say that they, not Illustrator are the "best tool for creating most logos."
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 22, 2008
Doug,

Yes, vector-based logo creation is better than pixel-based logo creation. And Illustrator is probably the most widely used tool for that. Not that I’m gonna be advocating Corel products for it.

(Bitten by a technicality!) <g>

Neil
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 23, 2008
Here’s a tutorial which may help. <http://www.weichertcreative.com/tutorials/2color.php>
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Wow!

Web designers should take a look at Scott Weichert’s page. Not only is it an example of elegant simplicity and readability, but the individual pages are loading in LESS THAN 0.4 seconds (less than four tenths of a second) despite the less-than-optimal connection I’ve been using away from home since mid April.

I’ll link to this thread from a discussion we had yesterday or the day before.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 23, 2008
You are the sum of your experience.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 23, 2008
Spot color (defined channel) art is not used in web pages. Ros does not appear to be having image scaling trouble with ‘PC Internet Explorer 7/Vista/IE6’ so the link to that other thread seems distracting.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Jim:

I imagine that Ramón provided the Link because the superiority of the design of Scot Weichert’s web site would have been an appropriate subject for the discussion that had evolved in the "jpegs on one of my sites not working on PC Internet Explorer 7/Vista/IE6" thread — if your offensive behaviour, and downright rudeness to the Forum Host, hadn’t caused the thread to be closed.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 24, 2008
Ann, why don’t you let Ramon explain if it needs explaining? Maybe Ramon was being sarcastic because Scott scaled his images in HTML or because Scott did not use any profiles with his web images (both topics in the other thread that you helped shut down with your insane an unsupported assertions). Or are you also being sarcastic about Scott’s work? You are so rude to Scott.

Leave it to a clueless Forum Host that assumes that I have an ‘agenda <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b68494/80>’ other than helping the OP. Everyone’s agenda is clear on these forums <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b68432/16>. Ann has no control.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Ignored
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Maybe Ramon was being sarcastic

You don’t even deserve a reply, Oblak.

= = =

For the benefit of others who may read this thread in the future:

Just for the record, no, I was NOT being sarcastic, Jim Oblak aka "Jim Jordan" is dead wrong.

Ann is 100% percent right.

I pointed out Scott Weichert’s link as an example of how to do things right. Things are very nicely presented, the typography is excellent, the text is eminently readable and the pages load extremely fast even on a mediocre-to-slowish connection.

Note that I had originally typed:

I’ll link to this thread from a discussion we had yesterday or the day before.

That was because in that other thread a third party had asked me specifically how I would present the material in a problematic website being discussed in that other thread. Scott Weichert’s work is a prime example of how to do things right.

But when I accessed the other thread, I found it had been closed due to Jim Oblak’s maneuvers designed to upset Neil, our forum host, so I wrote:

Ooops! I couldn’t do that, Mr. Xxxxx managed to get that thread closed, So I’ll link to it here instead:

Yes, I had read and deliberately ignored post #8 as a transparent provocation. I’m doing my best to ignore him, regarding him as no more than a yapping mutt that barks at me in the street.

Now Jim Oblak a.k.a. as "Jim Jordan", one of his many pseudonyms on this forum, is meddling in this thread with the goal of angering Neil by attempting to goad Scott Weichert into believing I was doing something other than showing him respect by holding up his work as an example of successful website building, thereby hoping to create a nasty exchange here and disrupt the forum for the umpteenth time.

If you want to see an example of blatant lack of talent, watch this video (ATM: A Time Machine, Fantasy <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwzlGtSf8lU>) by Cincinnati Icon Publishing, Jim Jordan/Oblak’s outfit. And I am not being sarcastic here either.

Neil might conceivably close or delete this thread now, and the little jackanapes from Cincinnati will achieve his goal once again. I don’t think anybody is keeping track of how many threads he has managed to shut down any more.
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Let’s all just try to ignore the dark cloud.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Neil might conceivably close or delete this thread now

I’d rather have everyone just move on, and continue with any genuine help for the OP. Either more ideas will be posted or the topic will slowly sink to the bottom.

However, if there are further flareups or sniping by anyone, yes, additional action will be taken.

The goal continues: these forums WILL be more sociable and beneficial to everyone. Most of the folks here have been doing their part. Those who can’t follow good netiquette are not welcome.

So, yes, let’s move on. Thanks!

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 24, 2008
Why bother noting if a thread was closed or not? It is the same thread and contains the same info. It is clear someone was trying to stir a pot. …And a purely off-topic one at that.

If you really want to ignore someone, why do you obsess with with trying to falsely associate them with others? Why do you spend so much time researching but fail to realize that I am not from Cincinatti? How does your stalking info aid the OP? Why does a responsible forum host allow such slander? There is no point in anyone here noting that Ramon is a pedophile on house arrest.

Ann is 100% percent right:

In which thread? In the other thread, Ann and Ramon were so set on arguing that all JPGs should have a color profile. And now in this thread, they herald Scott’s work (which does not use profiles) as ideal. Can you make up your minds? And until you do make up your minds, can you stop insulting others as you did in the other thread?

It is the clear goal of Ann and Ramon to make false assumptions and insults. Neil has revealed his own agenda of allowing these personal insults and then saying ‘let’s move on’. If he was really interested in stamping out the poor behavior in this forum, he would address the source, not the individual who merely reports the poor behavior.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
Ignored
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Inappropriate post deleted.

This topic is closed.
C
cperaloca
Sep 26, 2008
On Sep 24, 12:03 pm, wrote:
Why bother noting if a thread was closed or not? It is the same thread and contains the same info. It is clear someone was trying to stir a pot. …And a purely off-topic one at that.

There is no point in anyone here noting that Xxxxx is a pedophile on house arrest.

My thanks to Adobe for removing this knowing slander from their web- based forums.

The author made up that malicious charge out of the thin air. The person in question is NOT a pedophile nor "on house arrest", nor has he EVER been in any trouble with the law. The author of this post on the other hand, is a severely disturbed individual bent on disrupting the forums. Pitiful.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections