CM
Posted By
Chris_McLennon
Apr 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been trying to find this feature out in PS Elements, but I can’t seem to find how to make inner and outer layers glow. Could someone please tell me how?

Thanks,
-Chris M.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 24, 2004
Chris,

Create a new image and then type some text on it. Then go to Windows>Layer Styles>Inner Glows (or Outer Glows) and apply the style.

To edit your style go to the LAYERS Palette, look at your layers and click on the little f at the side of your image.

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 24, 2004
Chris,

You can also do this by hand. Select out object you want to glow. Duplicate this object. Change your background color swatch to the desired glow color. Now put a selection back around your object. The fastest way is to hold ctrl key and tap on the layer icon in the palette…the picture in layers palette. Okay now hit alt backspace…or command backspace if you want the other color swatch to be glow color. This will fill one of your selected objects with color. Deselect. Make sure this layer is below the selected object that isn’t colored. Here’s the trick. Activate the color filled layer and apply Gaussian Blur. This will cause the color filled layer to spread giving a blur effect for outer glow. Inner glow can be done the same way only put color fill selected object over original selected object. Contract color filled selection by say 30 pixels select inverse and delete. (contract is found by going to selection<modify<contract and type in desired number). Apply gaussian blur and you have glow from the center. Can lower opacity of the color filled object layer to reduce "glow" amount. I haven’t played with glow from interior edge but positive it can be done with the right selection deletion combined with gaussian blur. Hope I haven’t rambled too much and confused you anywhere. At anyrate, good luck and have fun!

Terri
CM
Chris_McLennon
Apr 25, 2004
Thanks guys!

I never thought about looking under Layer Styles, I thought it would be under Layer Settings but I could never find anything there.

-Chris M.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections