Possible to change from CS3 Windows to Mac?

AL
Posted By
adam_LC
Aug 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought an imac recently, it has CS3 Master collection pre-installed (updatable and working as it should), it’s just that it’s the windows version and I’m running it through Parallels 3. Would it be possible that Adobe would allow me to change the version to a Mac version??? so i can run it from Leopard??

I have contacted technical support about this 4 days ago, but are yet to reply.

Thanks

Adam.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Aug 20, 2008
"How Do I Exchange an Adobe Product for a Different Platform?"

<http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/adobe/f/crossgrade.htm>
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
I bought an imac recently, it has CS3 Master collection pre-installed.

Where did you buy this computer? I never heard of Macs that come preinstalled with Adobe software. Sounds to me like you bought a computer from someone and they didn’t delete their old software. If this is the case what you are doing is illegal.

If whoever you bought it from filled out a letter of transfer to you for the software and signed a letter of destruction that they destroyed all of their installs you can now call Adobe now that the registration is in your name. Ask for a cross grade.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 20, 2008
I never heard of Macs that come preinstalled with Adobe software.

I have seen some vendors offer package deals on higher end models but the idea of preinstalling Windows and then CS3 for Windows on an iMac does sound a bit absurd. Good luck on the crossgrade.

I have contacted technical support about this 4 days ago, but are yet to reply.

Contact sales/customer service. This is not a technical support issue.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Adam,

I bought an imac recently, it has CS3 Master collection pre-installed…it’s just that it’s the windows version

Such a purchase would not be the norm for a new iMac; particularly with the "wrong" platform software installed. If this is a used machine, then you need to be sure you have the license transferred to your name for the Windows CS3, plus all discs/licenses for all versions associated with its serial number.

Otherwise you have an illegal software installation which will not be supported by Adobe, and will not allow you any upgrade/crossgrade/support.

Neil
AL
adam_LC
Aug 20, 2008
I bought the imac brand new from the vendor "simpologyuk".

It came with a whole bunch of software which is all registered in my name. Of course the Main operating system is Leopard, it also has Vista Ultimate installed and Parallels 3 which is how I’m running the windows version of CS3 master collection.

If this isn’t legal; I don’t think I would be able to download all the updates? would I? I’m very new to the Mac so I’m not sure.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 20, 2008
Updates do not check for licensing. They simply verify that the software is already installed.

If you have a legitimate license for CS3 then there should be little issue with a crossgrade. We’re just noting that the bundle seemed odd.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
adam,

It came with a whole bunch of software which is all registered in my name.

Maybe this is a more common practice in the UK. But for a new machine to come bundled like that in the States from a legitimate dealer is…just…plain…weird.

IF you have been able to register (and can verify successful registration) with Adobe, then you’re golden and can crossgrade now and then upgrade in the future at upgrade prices. And get tech support as well.

If not, you should have a heart-to-heart chat with your dealer about the legitimacy of this software.

The question still begs: if you bought this new, why didn’t the dealer bundle the software that you really want?

Please let us know how this turns out.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
and why are they selling the Master Suite on an iMac?
AL
adam_LC
Aug 20, 2008
Maybe I was just really gullible? I love photography an looked for a solution to my needs. The price seemed really good for the cost of the software, I bought from ebay and this is the seller…
< http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-APPLE-iMAC-DESKTOP-PC-2-8Ghz-POWERS ELLER-4GB-RAM_W0QQitemZ230282365934QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 30282365934&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3 A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14>
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
You got ripped off and you have a Pirate copy on your machine. The price for the US version of the creative Suite is $2500 prices in Europe are double that . they only want £1,650.00 for the computer and software? your clue its pirate is the fact that its the Windows version on a Mac.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
adam,

I read their eBay Web page.

The software will come with a burnt copy of the disc as we have to keep the originals for future installations. These discs are provided with a serial code so you can re-install a new copy on that machine should the need arise.

I’ll be polite. This is B.S. These guys are pirates. And you were ripped off. Report them immediately to eBay, to Adobe (), and law enforcement in their UK jurisdiction. And get your money back.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Adam,

Here’s more…

If you paid by check, stop payment. If you paid by PayPal or Credit card, tell them NOW that you were ripped off so they can help you recover your loss.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 20, 2008
The sad part is to look at the seller’s feedback to see how many buyers offered positive responses without realizing they got ripped off – – and only one person seems to have spoken up with a neutral/negative feedback to indicate that the seller is offering bogus licenses.
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
And that link should be removed and reported to Adobe.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Buko…

You’re absolutely right. Consider it gone.

Neil
AL
adam_LC
Aug 20, 2008
I have emailed Adobe again to clarify whether it’s a pirate or not, from the sounds of you guys… it probably is.
P
Phosphor
Aug 20, 2008
Wow…

What a clusterf*** of a deal, and what a sham and a shame that those sellers have such an overwhelmingly high rating.

Gotta wonder how an honest guy can make a buck, when so many people like this get away with their shady practices time and time and time and time again.

🙁
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
A £1000 for the Master Collection?
G
graffiti
Aug 20, 2008
I have emailed Adobe again to clarify whether it’s a pirate or not, from the sounds of you guys… it probably is.

And if you paid by credit card, call the company that issues it and make sure no mysterious charges get added.

They steal software, they’re likely to run up your credit card as well…
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
Always keep this in mind when buying something on ebay.

If something looks like its too good to be true, It usually is.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
Another, more ominous issue…

It would not be surprising to find that the software installed this way on your system contains malware that could be compromising your privacy, or committing identity theft based on personal data you have on your system now…

You have NO clue what is now on your system or how it was set up by these bandits. Do you have any security/firewall/antivirus software, at least on the Windows side? Have you done any system scans?

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 21, 2008
Wow. A nasty reminder to deal only with respected internet vendors.
IM
Ian_Matthew
Aug 22, 2008
This is the first Mac I’ve seen with OSX AND Windows installed together!! And Why Office 2008 AND 2007? This deal stinks to high heaven. The description he/she offers is there to catch to unwary novice such as:

"All of this software will be registered to the computer and are full versions so they can be upgraded and updated at any time you wish."

Funny, I thought software was registered to the user, not the computer.

No wonder Ebay gets a bad name.

Ian
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 22, 2008
Ian,

I suspect that the vendor may be illegally using a site license. It is still piracy.

Neil
IM
Ian_Matthew
Aug 22, 2008
Ahhhh…I see. Still as you say, dodgy, very dodgy. Best to stay away.

Ian

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections