SL
Posted By
Sharon_Linton
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem with cropping. The image proportions seem permanently constrained to a rectangle shape that is wider than it is tall. If I want to crop a square or a tall narrow rectangle I can’t seem to do it. I can simply make the horizontal rectangle bigger or smaller or I can move it around. But, I can’t change the shape of the cropped area. Can anyone tell me what I might have done to make this happen all the time or how I can remedy this situation. I reinstalled Photoshop elements today hoping that would solve the problem but it has not. thanks! SL

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 19, 2004
You have dimensions specified in options at top of screen. Hit Clear.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 19, 2004
And a further note: You said you reinstalled the software, but you probably didn’t do a separate search for the Preference folder and take it off manually. That’s why an reinstallation failed to return the settings to default. Mac’s suggestion will clear the Crop tool problem, but next time something isn’t working right, post here before you get drastic and go through the agony of uninstall/reinstall! We have a couple of tricks that often clear up strange behavior with Elements. 🙂
RK
Roy_Kramer
Apr 19, 2004
Is it possible to get only the image once you have removed all background clutter. For instance, if I only want one object in the picture and remove all the rest of the clutter to the point that I only have that one object, is it possible to get only the shape of that object instead of the square or rectangular border that leaves white corners around the object? I am using Photoshop Elements, not Elements 2.
Thanks for any help.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 19, 2004
Roy,
1. You may want to try clicking the white border with the magic wand tool, and hitting delete.
2. If you go to File>new and look at contents in the box, I suspect that white is selected. Change that to transparent, and in the future your background will be transparent.
3. You describe having selected a foreground image. I don’t know how you did it, but let us assume that you utilized the magnetic lasso tool. Once you have this selection with the marching ants around it, go to Edit>copy, Edit>paste. Now you should have this object on its own layer. This will allow you to move it or manipulate it in various ways.
Hope that this helps.
Ken
RK
Roy_Kramer
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks Ken. I am rather new at Photoshop Elements and am trying to learn it. I will try your ideas and see how they work. I am using a tutorial book for Elements 2 and see there are numerous differences between the two versions, so I should get an upgrade for some of those features that appear to be pretty helpful.
Thanks again.
Roy
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 19, 2004
Roy,
I use Elements v.1. I started out with a book by Mikkel Aaland: Photoshop Elements Solutions. I think that he has editions targeted towards version #1 and version #2. You might want to check availability at Amazon. This book is excellent in my opinion.
Ken

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections