U
Posted By
unclepullmyfinger
Aug 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have tried to create a curve that resembles an S with the pen tool so that I could stroke it with a brush.But every tool I use wants to close the S Curve how do I keep this open.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Aug 12, 2008
Make sure you have "Paths" selected in the Options Bar.
U
unclepullmyfinger
Aug 12, 2008
Im embarrassed thanks
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 12, 2008
I’m too old to be embarrassed anymore, except maybe by this users username.

John, My first thought was that the "S" needs to be drawn as a closed path (draw the ‘S’ then come back retracing over or under or just closely to the existing path to bring the endpoint up to where it can be joined and the path made complete and closed.) Path ends want to connect, even when they are drawn with the "paths" option selected in the options bar.

After the path is drawn, and the path is converted into a selection, the end points connect because open paths just do that.

Can you clarify this for me John, with a step by step tutorial even, as I am always open to learning something new about Photoshop.

Thanks,

Ken
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 12, 2008
Ken,

The path needs to be closed if you intend to turn it into a selection. If it is open and you hit the ‘Load path as selection button’ in the Paths palette, the path will automatically ‘close’ the with a straight line between the two ends.

If you wish, you can stroke an open path with a brush, pencil or a number of other tools. Just draw the path, set up your tool of choice… brush for example and click on the second button from the left at the bottom of the Paths palette. The Tool Tip will call that button ‘Stroke path with brush’. For more options including tapering the ends of the stroke (called "simulate pressure"), hold down the Option key as you click on the Stroke Path button. I should add that the stroke path with brush button works on closed paths as well as open.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 13, 2008
Welles, Thanks for that. That works really well.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections