Posted By
catch.ruturaj
Jul 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi all,

use photoshop CS2. i would like to know how to create a curved gradient or fill gradient in a curved shape. the gradient should take the shape of the curved geometry.

kindly reply asap,

regards,

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
johntolliday
Jul 4, 2008
You could use the Radial Gradient Tool on a selection of the area you want to apply the gradient to, you can click the gradient in the toolbar to edit.

Depending on the shape of the curve you may have to create it on a seperate layer then Edit > Transform > Distort.

By working within a selection (marching ants) you can control where the gradient is applied and by trasforming it you can alter the shape once applied.

There will as always in Photoshop be other ways, maybe using the Liquify filter to distort the shape for example?

regards

John
J
johntolliday
Jul 4, 2008
I applied the Radial Gradient tool to a quadrant selection then distorted with Liquify to get this amoeba!
I
ID._Awe
Jul 4, 2008
I think is a fairly normal conundrum that the gradients do not conform to complex shapes. This can be done in Illustrator using ‘blend’ shapes but is vector rather than raster. If you have Illustrator you can create the object there and place as a smart object.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 4, 2008
There was a real PS-geekfest a few years ago related to curved gradients wasn’t there?
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jul 5, 2008
With a Shape Layer, you could use a Stroke using Gradient : Shape Burst.
CY
curt_young
Jul 5, 2008
here is a method from another site.

Making a gradient follow selection contours? Go to Layer Styles, and pick the Stroke section. Set the size fairly large, the position to Inside, the fill type to Gradient, then the style to Shape Burst – and you’ll find that any gradient you choose, or that you design, will do exactly what you’re looking for.
I
ID._Awe
Jul 5, 2008
New for CS3, got CS2.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections