WW
Posted By
w_westfall
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to make a collage that has as one of its elements a simulated newspaper item (sitting on top of and partially covering a part of the whole). I would like the type to be on a white background with a thin black "frame" around it (simulating a newspaper column). I have tried typing on a separate layer, but cannot copy and paste that onto my basic collage. I’ve be at this for hours — reading, experimenting, etc. Please help.
Wendell

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CR
Chris_Rankin
Apr 7, 2004
Wendell,
You could try this:
Create a new, empty layer.
Fill with white.
Select the text tool and type your text (this creates a new text layer.) Simplify your text layer and link it to your white layer then go to the Layers drop down menu and click the merge linked option.
Using the rectangular selection tool, select around your text and right click and use the copy as layer option.
You now have a new layer that you shopuld be able to use.

I think this will work, but don’t worry if it doesn’t, because someone else will have other (probably better) suggestions for you.

CR
WW
w_westfall
Apr 7, 2004
Chris;
Somehow it is not working.
1)When I open my image it is labeled "Layer 1", not "background layer", as is otherwise usually the case. Don’t know what I did to get it that way. Would that make a difference?
2)When you say "Simplify your text layer", how do I do that? Thanks,
Wendell
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 8, 2004
Wendell,

1)When I open my image it is labeled "Layer 1", not "background layer", as
is otherwise usually the case. Don’t know what I did to get it that way. Would that make a difference?

It should not make a difference.

2)When you say "Simplify your text layer", how do I do that?

Right-click on the Text layer in the Layers palette, and select Simplify Layer from the context menu. Or click the More button at the top of the Layers palette and select Simplify Layer from the menu. Or from the main menu click Layer > Simplify Layer.

Byron
WW
w_westfall
Apr 8, 2004
Thank you Chris and Byron. I’m not sure WHY I did what I did — what you suggested I do — but it worked! So, I think I’m making some progress . . .
Wendell
CR
Chris_Rankin
Apr 8, 2004
Wendell,
Sorry I wasn’t clearer, I’m still learning the program myself and while I might know how to do something sometimes, it’s often harder to explain it than to do it. One of the best things about this forum is that there’s always someone like Byron that can jump in and make an explanation clearer or offer an easier way to do something.

CR

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections