S
Posted By
supagrafics
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ok, ive been creating artwork at true size @ 150dpi in photoshop. ive then been saving it as a jpeg and sending to our print department for printing on our large format printers. however when the file is opened in our print rip software the images are often much larger than i made them in photoshop. does anyone know why this might be? any help would be much appreciated.
many thanks,
paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 30, 2006
ive been creating artwork at true size @ 150dpi in photoshop

Image size is measured in pixels. For example: an image 1500 x 1500 pixels would print at 10"x10" at 150ppi or 5"x5" at 300ppi or 15"x15" at 100ppi.

You need to find out what resolution the RIP is expecting. Be careful not to confuse ppi (image resolution) with dpi (the number of dots per inch the printer lays down on paper)

By preparing your files at the required size, and at the correct number of pixels per inch, you should have no problems obtaining the correct size print-out.
JW
John_Waller
Nov 30, 2006
ive then been saving it as a jpeg

Using what steps?

Regards

John Waller
S
supagrafics
Nov 30, 2006
file > save as > jpeg
S
supagrafics
Nov 30, 2006
"By preparing your files at the required size, and at the correct number of pixels per inch, you should have no problems obtaining the correct size print-out"

thats what i thought. this is how i would start…

file > new > enter image size required in mm > check dpi @ 150 for print > create file

and yet when i file > save > save as jpeg, the image opens huge in the rip software?
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 30, 2006
As you saving the Jpegs as "Standard Baseline" or "Optimised"?

"Optimised" strips out certain bits of metadata. I can’t be sure, but this might include the resolution tag (ppi). This being the case, your printer might be defaulting to some arbitrary figure.

Why are you giving them Jpegs anyway. Wouldn’t they prefer uncompressed files such as TIFF?
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 30, 2006
enter image size required in mm > check dpi @ 150 for print

Okay. Another possibility.

When you set the image size using millimeters, are you sure you are setting the resolution in "pixels per inch" and not "pixels per cm" by mistake?
S
supagrafics
Nov 30, 2006
im saving as "Standard Baseline"

we use jpegs to save memory. i transfer files over to print via the net so tiffs quite often come up too big.

def working in pixels per inch

bizarre
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 30, 2006
If PS is doing as it’s told whilst outputting your files, then you need to look into the possibility your RIP software has gone pear-shaped. 🙁

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections