Posted By
Graham_Justice
Jan 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7 for Mac

Normally when I add an effect to a layer through the toolbar, Layer=LayerStyle=DropShadow, I then go to the Layers Navigation window, click on the drop shadow effect, and another pop up box springs that allows me to adjust all aspects of the drop, such as direction, opacity, etc. Also in this pop up box, the other effects such as satin, etc., appear on the left, allowing me to navigate to any effect, add it, etc.

Suddenly, I can no longer click on the effect in the layers box. I turn it off and on by using the eye icon. But when I click on the "effects" tab or the "drop shadow" effect in this window, the pop up box allowing me to adjust effects no longer appears. Instead, the only option I have is to move my pointer around the image window, and the drop shadow will move accordingly. It seems as though this is the only control over the effect that I now have. To get out of this, and get back to a regular workspace, I must hit enter and the effect change takes effect and I return to normal operation.

How do I get that effects pop up box back when I click on the effect in the layers box, that will allow me to adjust all aspects of the effect?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 24, 2007
I don’t know what’s going on, but I would consider Resetting Preferences as per the FAQs and updating to 7.0.1. Also, you can get the Layer Styles dialog simply by double-clicking on a layer in the Layers Palette.
GJ
Graham_Justice
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks,

Yes I’ve reset preferences and I’m on 7.0.1.

That’s the problem; when I try to double click on a layer in the layers palette, no layer styles dialogue box pops up. The top tool bar changes to "click and drag to reposition the effect" and my only option is to use the cursor to move the shadow. Then, the only way out of this is to hit return and the effect change takes place.

But I cannot get the layer styles dialogue box to appear.
B
Buko
Jan 24, 2007
It sounds like it off the screen resetting prefs should fix this.
B
Buko
Jan 24, 2007
when you reset prefs you need to shut down Photoshop. I would restart the computer.

If that does not do it you need to see if its there in a new user.
GJ
Graham_Justice
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks,

Yes, the problem is definitely that the palette pop up dialogue box is off the screen.

I recently switched from two monitors to one, so Photoshop must be remembering that dialogue box as popping up on the second monitor. (even though the computer has been restarted many times without that second monitor plugged in.)

I logged in to the MAC as another user with a fresh OS screen, opening Photoshop for the first time as that new user, and the missing dialogue box appeared fine when I tried to spring it from the layer palette.

However, on my regular log in space, I did reset preferences and reset the window workspace, however that pop up dialogue box is just not resetting the way all of the other palettes reset. I guess because it’s a pop up box that is usually never on screen when you reset everything.

The only solution to using Photoshop is to log out of my screen and log in to OS 10 as another user, which is a pain.

Any other ideas I would welcome.

Thanks.
R
Ram
Jan 24, 2007
MAC means Modular Access Control in computer language. Your computer is a Mac, for Macintosh, not a "MAC."

Resetting preferences WILL reset the position of ALL dialog boxes, no ifs or buts.

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=3129 17>
J
jonf
Jan 25, 2007
Did you try un-checking the preference for "Save palette location"?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections