BL
Posted By
Bob_Lemen
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a grayscale image that was converted from RGB to grayscale for use in a process printed piece. In order to keep registration problems to a minimum, I want to convert the CMYK black to plain 100% K. Every time I replace the black, when I inspect the black area again it has reverted to 72% C, 66% M, 65% Y, and 74% K. How can I make the change stick?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Nov 20, 2006
Copy the greyscale image and paste it in the black channel of the CMYK file
BL
Bob_Lemen
Nov 20, 2006
Am I missing something? There is no black channel for a grayscale image… but the color keeps reverting to a CMYK format.
B
Bernie
Nov 20, 2006
I want to convert the CMYK black to plain 100% K.

To me, this implied a conversion to CMYK

If you are reading CMYK numbers in a greyscale file, you should set the info box to read greyscale information instead
BL
Bob_Lemen
Nov 20, 2006
That sounds nice, but the working proof plates for C, M, & Y still show percentages and the black plate proof keeps going back to less than 100%. :0{ How do I get them to only display black for a grayscale (tif) file?
B
Bernie
Nov 20, 2006
What colour mode is you file in?
BL
Bob_Lemen
Nov 20, 2006
It’s in grayscale, 8 bits/Channel. That’s what has me baffled… why is grayscale showing CMYK colors?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 20, 2006
What is showing CMYK values?
The info palette? Then why do you have it set to show CMYK values instead of the actual color values?
BL
Bob_Lemen
Nov 20, 2006
The info box only shows black — at 91%. I can’t get it to go to 100%. The color picker shows (and keeps defaulting back to) 72% C, 66% M, 65% Y, and 74% K; and the proofing tools show a shade for working C, M, and Y as well as K.
B
Bernie
Nov 20, 2006
Read the help file on and explore the info box interface carefully.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections