CP
Posted By
charles_pinz
Jan 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use an apple optical mouse and when I am in the middle of painting a quick mask or using the clone tool, eraser ect. the mouse takes off running on me. It jumps off my screen leaving its trail in a streight line as if the end point was shift selected. Anyone seen this strange behavior?
I have also noticed when in selection mode (arrow move tool) it takes a jump whenever it feels like it. Whats up with that? I have the mouse ported into the keyboard and find my problem in CS2 on a OS10.4.8 G5
Thanks
Chuck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jan 11, 2007
you need a Wacom.

Apple optical mouse = crap
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 11, 2007
I have two macs. One uses a MS wireless mouse and one uses a BT MightyMouse. The MM rox.
D
Dirk
Jan 11, 2007
Maybe check and change your mouse settings?

I use the wireless Mighty Mouse with my G4, works fine!

…but I would get a Wacom.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 11, 2007
Charles,

I’ve read about nearly exactly the same symptoms you describe on the Apple Discussions. It seems that you may have a flawed mouse. I’d call AppleCare and try for a replacement.

(I have to admit that I tried out the MM which came with my MacPro and found it clumsy, uncomfortable, and still limited to only three buttons. I went back to my Intellimice which are on all my computers and Wacom tablets for drawing/painting.)
H
halinsalem
Jan 11, 2007
Welles, you and I have exactly the same opinion about the Apple mouse. Not long after I got my G4, I purchased a Wacom tablet and i have never regretted it. IMHO it is the only way to go. I intend to purchase a MacPro when CS3 comes out and I will purchase a new Wacom tablet to go with it – it is the only way to go!
CP
charles_pinz
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for the imput.
Chuck
L
LTe
Jan 13, 2007
try light gray mousepad
(gaming pads are best [methinks; not as "best" as a Wacom tablet though])
Y
YGC
Jan 13, 2007
It’s probably not domesticated!
R
Ram
Jan 13, 2007
I use a pen for most tasks (even browsing)
but for precision path work I use the mouse.
JF
john_findley
Jan 19, 2007
The mouse is easier (for me) in working with vectors and manipulating 3D models. My pen sensitivity is set up for drawing and painting, and it is difficult to click on a precise point because to pen will beat you to it.
P
PeterK.
Jan 20, 2007
Charles, what many people don’t know about an optical mouse is that it can be very sensitive to the kind of surface it’s used on. A busy, contrasty repeated texture on a desktop or pad can cause the pointer to jump around. Especially notorious for causing random jumps are reflective surfaces, such as plastic, glass, or even a shiny varnished wood desktop. Try taping down a piece of black construction paper under your mouse or use a non-reflective pad.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections