P
Posted By
ps1
Jan 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received a PDF that is to be output to CMYK. I opened it in PSCS2 and ran out some proofs on our copier — the black type is printing on all 4 plates. Is there a way (in PS) to have the black type print on the K plate only?

Advice appreciated,

Geoff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Jan 4, 2007
What happens if you open it in Acrobat and print it from there?

Paste it in the black channel only.
JC
Jay Chevako
Jan 4, 2007
Opening pdfs in Photoshop makes me cringe, but if that is the only way, then go image/mode/convert to profile under profile select custom cmyk, then under Black Generation choose maximum (under separation type make sure GCR is checked).
Jay
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 4, 2007
You realize that if the type prints on the Black plate only there will be white (paper) "holes" where the type used to be, under the black ink. I doubt it will look very good.

The file should have been prepared correctly in the first place. Is there any way to go back to the original, whatever it was?
P
ps1
Jan 4, 2007
Thanks all.

I was able to open in Illustrator (which brought on a different set of issues) and select the type and change to 100% K.

Still good to know about the max black generation option though…

Ed, not sure what you mean by the white paper holes. The original was a MS Publisher file, <sigh>.

Geoff
B
Buko
Jan 4, 2007
Thats your problem. the type was probably set on auto color.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 4, 2007
What I meant was, if there is no image or color beneath the type, there will only be the paper, which won’t look good. Usually best to have some color with the black.
JC
Jay Chevako
Jan 4, 2007
???????

Black text on white paper is "an oldie but goodie" Jay
J
JasonSmith
Jan 4, 2007
well if you’re dealing with 6pt type I dont think you want more than K.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 4, 2007
Okay, I was thinking it was display type (on an image). Where does he mention 6pt? I missed that.
J
JasonSmith
Jan 5, 2007
He didnt (that I know of), but in general terms there are times when a 4 color black is useful, and times when it’s not.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections