GC
Posted By
George_Craft
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When ever I scan a B&W negative or convert a file to grayscale it comes up as a dark sepia tone. The only way I can get rid of it is to convert the image to RGB then play with Hue and Saturation. If I then covert it back to grayscale it goes back to the sepia tones. Is there a default setting that I am missing to present these on the monitor as gray tones rather than brown. I have spent hours and can’t seem to find what I am doing wrong. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

George

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 2, 2004
George, are they sepia in all your viewers or just in Elements ? Reason being, Elements is a color managed program and so you have to calibrate your monitor with the ‘Adobe gamma’ that is in your control panel….have you done that ? I’m not sure if this is the problem….let us know.
GC
George_Craft
Mar 2, 2004
Jodi,

Just in Elements. When I pull up the images in any of my other Image programs, they look correct. (Photo Impressions, Dell Image Expert, Windows Picture Viewer,etc.) I will look at the Gamma normalization and see if it makes a difference but this brown or sepia is not a minor color offset, it is major.

Thanks,

George
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 2, 2004
George, Elements is the only ‘color-managed’ program among the ones you cited, so it’s not surprising that only Elements would show the effect you’re describing…
GC
George_Craft
Mar 2, 2004
Jodi,

I went through the Adobe Gamma recalibration and it made no difference.

Thanks,

George
CR
Chris_Rankin
Mar 2, 2004
George,
Are you scanning in RGB or grayscale?
GC
George_Craft
Mar 3, 2004
Chris and Chuck,

I’m scanning in both. The effect is the same whether I scan in B&W or RGB and convert to Grayscale. I guess I would ask, does this affect appear on your Grayscale images?

Thanks,

George
CR
Chris_Rankin
Mar 3, 2004
George,
I scanned some B&W negs in RGB and had them come out sepia toned, then I used Elements to convert to Grayscale and turned them into B&W. I have no idea why it worked but it did. If I convert a color RGB image to Grayscale it will be B&W. I use an HPscanjet 5500c.

CR
GC
George_Craft
Mar 7, 2004
Chris and All,

I give up. I can’t figure this out and can’t seem to find an answer from any of my sources.

So I did what I should have done all along, I converted them to RGB and adjusted them using the Hue/Saturation settings. I actually get better contrast and detail that with the grayscale.

Thanks all,

George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections