BW
Posted By
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use an OS 9 filter called MetaFlow to warp my images in PS. Adobe bought MetaFlow and MovieFlo to use some of the features in a video product. That dead ended the product which uses an adb dongle. I have to boot up is OS 9 every time I need to warp an image. The program does a superior job of warping images by using envelopes that you draw. One for the area to move or rotate and the second envelope for the area that the warping can take place within.

I contacted Adobe several years ago and then again recently pleading with them to add the filter to Photoshop, since they own it. I guess they think Liquify will meet everyones needs. MetaFlow is a 100 times better. That is why I paid about $350 for the filter several years ago.

Does anyone have any close contacts in the development staff at Adobe that I could contact, or know of a similar product? I haven’t been able to find another good warping tool out there.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
progress
Nov 30, 2006
there’s a 3/4 implemented version in CS2…but dont expect all the nicities…think of it like a working beta.

no-user definable envelope or points

bug or workflow failure that stops it working after a distort

dicky interpolation

but, its a step in the right direction…thats only been requested since Elastic Reality dissapeared.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
Since they own the technology for the MetaFlow filter, I wouldn’t thing it would take much work on their part to include it with PS.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 30, 2006
And you’re HOW familar with the code from MetaFlo and the code in Photoshop?
BW
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
I’m not formilar at all. Does it take a major rewrite to make an OS 9 filter that they own work with OS 10? They made all their other standard filters work.
R
Ram
Nov 30, 2006
Bob,

Click on Chris Cox’s name on any of his posts.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Dec 1, 2006
Little tip… take your psd layer to Illustrator, use Illustrator’s envelopes then copy and paste back into Photoshop.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
Well Chris, I guess you would know about the time needed to program. Are you familiar with the MetaFlow, MovieFlo filter that Adobe bought from The Valis Group several years ago, and if it would be major for you guys to include it with PS?

Scott, does Illustrator warp images using envelopes?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 1, 2006
Place a smart object via Illustrator.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Mike I will play with smart objects and see what they can do. I haven’t used them before.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Dec 1, 2006
Scott, does Illustrator warp images using envelopes?

Yes, with just about the best envelope feature I’ve ever seen.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 1, 2006
Yes, I am somewhat familar with the MetaFlo code.

And I would like to see good envelope warping tools as well.
ML
Mark_L_McDonald
Dec 5, 2006
And what, he deserves a medal for working at Adobe? Adobe’s programmers seem to be about as skilled as bright lab rats. How else to explain the incoherent, unoptimized jumble of new code overlaying ever more obsolete code. It’s stunning to find bugs and glitches that date back to v1 or 2 of PS and AI, but it happens. Maybe someday we’ll get a completely streamlined, rewritten app for pro users, but it’ll probably be from Apple.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 5, 2006
There is a bug report form on the Adobe website. Feel free to use it, to bring constructive input…
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2006
Mark,

You are living in an alternate reality somewhere.

a completely streamlined, rewritten app for pro users, but it’ll probably be from Apple.

I’ve been using Macs since before the MacPlus, or for some 22 years. In all that time, I have consistently failed to be impressed by any Apple stand-alone application, from the awful MacWrite, MacPaint and MacDraw through Hypercard, Apple Works, Claris works, etc. through Aperture, in the future of which I have exactly zero confidence.

Where are the worthy successors to any of the programs named above?

If anything, when it comes to applications, Apple is the greatest quitter of all times.

More than two decades later, Apple still hasn’t learned to handle fonts properly in the OS.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 6, 2006
RamΓ³n! You’re kidding, right?! ClarisWorks/AppleWorks is my all-time favorite business application! I can write documents, make databases and spreadsheets, bill clients, all in one, tiny, efficient application that ISN’T Microsoft Word!

πŸ™‚
R
Ram
Dec 6, 2006
No, not kidding at all, Doug. Glad it works for you, but ClarisWorks/AppleWorks does not measure up to my needs. :/
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 6, 2006
I know you weren’t kidding. We’ve had a discussion similar. πŸ™‚

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections