JF
Posted By
john_findley
Nov 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I hate it that Adobe doesn’t send out written manuals anymore, and that you have to go to the store and, like, buy a book.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 5, 2006
John – huh? Photoshop still comes with a written manual.

If you buy the suite, the printed manuals are an option (because they’d triple the weight of the box!).

And in both cases, the full text of the manual is on the CD in PDF form.
R
Ram
Nov 5, 2006
I did get a printed Photoshop manual. Bought just Photoshop, not the suite.

Trust me, you’re not missing a thing. The fine manual (as in RTFM) sends you on endless wild goose chases with references from one page to another to another to another… most of the time ending in "See the Help files." Grrrrrrrr…
JF
john_findley
Nov 5, 2006
I’m aware of the PDF. Actually, I was trying, I guess too subtly (or ineptly), to point out that people who use software as rich and complex as PS are obliged to put some effort into learning it.

Sorry 🙂
K
Katyla
Nov 12, 2006
Transparency or clipping path? Could you expand on that? I’d like to be able to crop into irregularly-shaped animations in Imageready (gif).
P
Phosphor
Nov 12, 2006
Since animations are just a series of GIF images, and since GIF images can only have one level of transparency—that is, either fully opaque or fully transparent, with no varying levels of opacity in between—then you must construct the frames of the animation on a transparent layer.

Then, you must understand that when you save the animation, the area in which it will be contained will be a square or rectangle, whether you can see it or not. There’s no way around this fact with GIF animations.

So, knowing that there will always be an area apart from the actual animated objects present in the saved file, when saving the optimized animation you have to make a decision about the color of the web page background color upon which it will be displayed. If that background will be white, then there’s usually not much you’ll have to do, since white is the default color used to blend the edges of the objects in the animation with the background.

If the web page background is some other color, then you must choose a color as close as possible to the background in the "Matte Color" drop down menu.

If the background is any sort of patterned background which is comprised of widely varying hues and shades, then you’re likely to see a fringed edge to the moving elements, no matter which color you choose to matte them with.
K
Katyla
Nov 12, 2006
that when you save the animation, the area in which it will be contained will be a square or rectangle, whether you can see it or not.

Okay, I’ve read that too. So, how do you attempt to "erase" part of the frames in their entirety so the .gif file is fluid. I’ve read so many things, quick mask, new layer set, paintbrush…..I’m so comfused.
P
Phosphor
Nov 12, 2006
Maybe reading the tutorials at the following link will clear some things up.

< http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Animatio n-and-Interactivity/Most-popular/1/>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections