HT
Posted By
harry_teasley
Oct 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A quick search did not reveal this having been mentioned before, but excuse me if it has already. And of course, anyone that can point out where I’m going wrong, please correct me.

But I am experiencing a bug in CS2 on an Intel Mac running 10.4.8, a bug I do not experience with CS2 under XP.

If I Cmd-click the alpha channel of an open image, activate the marquee tool, right-click and choose "Layer via Copy", I get the entire layer instead of the alpha-masked version of it, even though the marching ants are indicating the outlines of the mask. If I choose "Layer via Cut", I get the whole layer again, but the original layer is cut by the mask.

This is not the behavior I experience under XP: alpha-mask selections Copied or Cut As Layer produce a masked version of the current layer.

Does anyone else experience this? My copy of CS2 is up to date.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 23, 2006
What is the "alpha channel" of an open image? A channel you created? The transparency mask? Do you mean you’re clicking on a layer with some transparency?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2006
Doug – he means an alpha channel. That has nothing to do with transparency.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 23, 2006
Harry,

I just tried your steps on a Mac Pro, Photoshop CS2 and didn’t replicate your issue. It worked as it should have. I don’t have any suggestion what issue your installation has, sorry.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 23, 2006
Welles, if you don’t mind, HOW did you try Harry’s steps? What did you do?
HT
harry_teasley
Oct 23, 2006
Welles, thanks for the test. Irritating if it’s just my install: it’s spanking-new, installed and updated before I ever even opened the program, and these were the first files I opened. I’ll try a reinstall, for good measure.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2006
Doug – Harry gave pretty clear steps. What are you going on about?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 23, 2006
Doug,

I thought the test was pretty simple. Maybe I misinterpreted the issue that Harry is seeing. I simply created a new document added a couple of shapes. Took one of the shape layers and command clicked on the layer icon to load the selection and saved that as an alpha channel. Then I flattened the image, command clicked on the alpha channel to load the saved selection, activated the marquee tool, right clicked on the image and used the new layer via copy to have a new layer with just the shape duplicated on an otherwise transparent layer.

Then I backed up via the history pallette and tried new layer via cut and my shape was ‘cut’ out of the flattened image and put on a new layer which was otherwise transparent. To me this is normal behavoir and wasn’t at all what Harry was experiencing. It took more time to write this little note than run the test. Heh.
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 23, 2006
Apologies to all… Harry, Chris, Welles. I profoundly misunderstood this question. What I was going on about is not even worth going on any more about.
B
Buko
Oct 24, 2006
Oh, go on. B)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections