HT
Posted By
harry_teasley
Oct 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
You can’t paste into an alpha channel if your current layer is hidden. Nevermind that you’re looking at only the alpha channel, and the paste has nothing to do with any layers. Unhide your current layer, and you can paste into the alpha channel again.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 22, 2006
What version? Works fine for me in CS.
GA
George_Austin
Oct 25, 2006
Is there a way to paste into a layer mask (which is an alpha channel)? When I attempt to do so with the layer mask active, PS jumps out of the mask, creates a new layer, and pastes into that new layer instead of into the mask.

I’m trying to create a special gray map in filter factory and transfer that to a layer mask. I can’t do so directly because filter factory grays out when the mask is active.

Thus, using ff, I create the gray map in a separate but identically-sized document, copy it to the clipboard, and then attempt to paste it into the desired layer mask which I activate before pasting. And I’m thwarted because, as I said, PS bipasses my mask and pastes into a new layer.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 25, 2006
If you target the layer mask (same as if you were painting into it), you can paste into it.
GA
George_Austin
Oct 25, 2006
Chris,

Yeah! That does it. Opens up a slew of new approaches for me. Thanks

George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections