D
Posted By
DavidMacD
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just discovered and added this very usefull (for me) filter. Sadly it seems to have a bug or hardware conflict.

Provided I keep the preview window showing the entire layer or selection (the way it first opens) all works fine. No problems.

But the preview window is very tiny and to really place the nodes on the 3D outline properly one needs to zoom in. Once zoomed in touching a node causes the lattice to leap all over the place completely out of control. It also causes a secondary rogue preview to appear partially formed in the top left of my monitor.

The plugin is unusable once zoomed. Any known bugs, issues or hardware conflicts here?

Power Mac Dual 1.4 G4 – 2GB RAM – Umpteen gigas of scratch on 2nd HD – ATI Radeon 9000 Pro – Apple Cinema Display 1920 x 2000

Any suggestions?

David Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 18, 2006
I have never found that 3D Filter to be of any use.
It is no longer installed automatically in CS2 (probably because it is fairly useless?) and has to be dug-out from the Goodies folder.

If you need to do 3D work, you really need to buy a dedicated 3D program.
D
DavidMacD
Sep 20, 2006
My work is photo real 2D perspective as opposed to true 3D. 3D programs are a bit too fiddly and cumbersome for me, although Sketchup is a real boon occasionally. I just liked the simplicity of the 3D rotations offered by this little plugin. Might have saved having to dissect a pasted layer into it’s component planes to distort it’s perspective to match a background.

Vanishing point is a great idea, but somehow doesn’t quite do it for me, I find it a bit cumbersome. Anyway on images the size I work the poor thing just freezes and I get to watch little coloured wheels and watches spinning around.

That’s only fun for a limited time period ………………. ;^))

Thanks for your comments Anne.
P
PeterK.
Sep 20, 2006
3d transform is probably the best tool to use for realistically applying a label to a cylindrical object (like a can or bottle), although warp is pretty good now too, just not as automatic as 3d transform. I haven’t seen the problems you describe. The previewing troubles seem to suggest a video card problem. Can you describe the exact steps you took to make the problem show? Which tools, which shape did you use, etc.
SP
Stephen_Pierce
Sep 20, 2006
Hey Peter,
I’ve been looking for exactly the type of tool you described in ‘3d Transform’ but don’t see it as an option in CS1. Is it available in CS2 or only as a 3rd party plug-in and if so, who makes it?
Thanks,
Stephen
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 20, 2006
Stephen,

Look in the extras folder on the install CD
SP
Stephen_Pierce
Sep 20, 2006
Thanx C.N.
I’ll take a look when the boss’s back is turned.
Regards,
Stephen
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2006
Vanishing point is a great idea, but somehow doesn’t quite do it for me, I find it a bit cumbersome. Anyway on images the size I work the poor thing just freezes and I get to watch little coloured wheels and watches spinning around.

VP does need a fair amount of RAM for efficiency — at least 3.5GB it seems. (It was very slow when I only had 1.5 GB of RAM but the additional 2 GB have made all the difference.)

The trick is to put an empty layer above the image layer and do your VP cloning on that upper layer.

I use VP a great deal for almost any kind of cloning.
D
DavidMacD
Sep 22, 2006
I think I am more likely to bite the bullet on a new Mac than buy more RAM.

For now I shall have to make do with my 2GB. The current image I am working on is 10000 x 5500 Pixels with huge numbers of layers. That’s fairly typical, so I do tend to try to fit quarts into pint pots when it comes to memory ……….

Thanks for the empty layer tip. I shall try it.
D
DavidMacD
Sep 22, 2006
Peter

Sorry to be slow responding. Life is a bit hectic at the moment.

All tools work fine when displaying the whole layer, the default when it opens. I can place nodes exactly as required with no problems. But the minute I zoom in to be more precise and move a node the whole lattice just leaps into a new and apparently random shape often going completely outside the preview window. I also get a rogue partly formed preview appearing in the top left of my display.

Zooming in as such does not trigger this. It is clicking on a node once zoomed in that does it.

It does indeed sound horribly like a video card issue.
PW
Paul_Wallace
Sep 26, 2006
Does vanishing point work on CMYK or just RGB images?

pthx
paulw
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2006
Only in RGB.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections