A
Posted By
av
Sep 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Someone sent me some pictures that, although not super low rez, are not high enough rez to go to print with. I know enough not to upsample, but then I suspect enough that there is something out there (better than Photoshop?) that can do a decent job of it. I figure I will have to upsample at least 50%, possibly double.

Can anyone make suggestions as to what might do a good job of it, or conversely warn me against doing it at all.

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 23, 2006
If you upsample using PS resize, use Bicubic smoother as the method. Also it’s regularly advised to upsample in increments, rather than in one take.

My experience is that the advantage of the latter is rarely visible (to me), but there’s no disadvantage either, other than having to do it multiple times.

Rob
A
av
Sep 23, 2006
understand bicubic is smoother. but should i assume by your answer that Pshop’s upsampling method is the best out there? or other softwares doing much the same, but with gimmicky claims?

what do you consider as an "increment"? 25dpi? 50? 10?

thnx
TM
Terry_Metcalf
Sep 23, 2006
Try this one: You have a PS file that is say, 8 by 10 , 300dpi and you want to print a poster, 30 by 20 inches. Go to image size, type 30 by . If you don’t get 20, incease the 30 till you do, then you can alway crop. Change the dpi to 360, select resample, and bicubic sharper. ( I know, It is breaking the rules, but try it ) Click ok. You may then want to sharpen the picture. I started out with a 8 mb raw file, converted to PS, and did the above. Sent the print off to mpix.com to be printed, and when it arrive, I was amazed at the quality.
I learned this trick from one of Scott Kelby’s books.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 23, 2006
Also it’s regularly advised to upsample in increments, rather than in one take.

Actually, Chris Cox has indicated that it actualy worse to upspample in increments since (as I recall) every small error introduced by upsampling gets multiplied.

I know that some folks feel it’s better; I’m just pointing out what Chris said.

There are software programs that do a better job at upsampling. I don’t use them and wouldn’t, but have seen them recommended here before.
J
Jim
Sep 23, 2006
wrote in message
understand bicubic is smoother. but should i assume by your answer that Pshop’s upsampling method is the best out there? or other softwares doing much the same, but with gimmicky claims?

what do you consider as an "increment"? 25dpi? 50? 10?
thnx
He means that if, for example, you are upsampling by a large percentage, then you should do it in several steps. We are talking here about getting the desired printing dpi; consequently none of your numbers qualify as large percentages.
Jim
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 23, 2006
upspample in increments

You may be right, Tony. I saw a slight advantage with hair a couple of times. Didn’t upsample lately. Don’t need it much.

The trick described by Terry is interresting, though.

Rob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 23, 2006
The "upsample 10% at a time repeatedly" system was developed before bicubic smoother was added to PS, I think.
A
av
Sep 23, 2006
yrbkmgr: so name them!! what are they?
EL
Ervin_Little
Sep 24, 2006
I use Genuine Fractals. I think it is the best that I have tried. I think it is better than the PS Image Resize, even with Bicubic Sharper. There may be a small improvement to setp the image up in steps. (3 to 5 iterations in Genuine Fractals) Now from on One software. <http://www.ononesoftware.com>

Another that I tried a year or so ago is Extensis pxl Smart Scale. I did not think it was quite as good as Genuine Fractals. I’m sure that there have been up0dates since I tried it. It could be better now??? It is now onOne software. <http://www.ononesoftware.com>

PhotoZoom Pro 2 is another one. I think it is the evolution of S-Spline. I havent tried it. <http://www.benvista.com/downloads/>

Erv
H
Ho
Sep 24, 2006
I know photographers who defy the "use only bicubic smoother for upsizing" mantra and sometimes use bicubic sharper for large moves. However, they start with hi rez files&#8212;something you don’t have in this case.

I’ve heard good things about the new Alien Skin plugin "Blowup". There may be a demo available.
A
av
Sep 24, 2006
thank you both for this.
yes, a demo would be nice. because claims are one thing, specific needs are another. since this enters the realm of magic it’s hard to believe how well it can work. :o)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections