PO
Posted By
patty_obrien
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I haved saved an image as a jpeg image. The file name includes .jpe and there are no spaces in the name. When I try to upload the image to my web page the server states it is not a JPEG image.
Please help. Using PC/Windows2KP. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 6, 2004
FWIW, .jpg is the standard designator for JPEG files. Try that.

Mac
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 9, 2004
Mac:

Would I save my image as FWIW,name of image.jpg?

Or?

Thanks,
Patty O
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 9, 2004
Patty, to be on the safeside, always make sure there are no spaces, backslashes, apostrophes, dashes, or other strange characters in a file name. Underscores seem to be OK, but I’ve just tried to train myself to keep virtually all characters out except letters and numbers in order to avoid having to remember what’s OK to use and what isn’t. And make sure the extension is .jpg
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 10, 2004
Beth,

Let me take you through my steps to see if you can see my error. To upload an image to my website it must have a .jpe extension on the file name. My file name is fringes01.jpe This file is now on my desktop.

When I try to upload I have a empty box with a [browse] area next to it. This is where I locate the file. When I have locate the file it is listed in the blank with the description of where it is and it’s name.

As soon as I press upload it states that the image is not a JPEG.

What do you think. Should I try a different browser. I am using IE 6.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
it’s the ‘.jpe’ thingy. Should be ‘.jpg’. …or was that just a typo ?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 10, 2004
I don’t think it’s a typo. She’s typed it that way at least 3 times.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
Jodi, if you look under Save As for JPEG, you’ll see that *.jpe is one of the three options listed. However, I don’t believe I’ve ever encountered one….
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
hmmmm, now that is just weird..ya i just went and checked…never even noticed it before…but that’s probably because I never ‘save as’ jpeg unless i’m using sfw dialogue…just never noticed it. Maybe she needs to copy her files to the jpg format and see if that works.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 10, 2004
FWIW = "For What It’s Worth".

What everyone is saying here is use "imagename.jpg", not "imagename.jpe".

Mac
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 10, 2004
It is saved as .jpg.

I had tried it jpe and jpg same problem.

Thks,
patty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
try .jpeg
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 10, 2004
Did that, too. Do you understand the actual process of uploading. I think if I knew all the steps maybe I could troubleshoot everything. From everything you guys have said I have the file name correct.

Patty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
Patty, it really all depends on what your needs are. I use an FTP program to upload stuff to my free isp webspace. I also use ‘ photoThumb’ which is a phenominal program that creates thumbnails of your images…hold on, i go the link here somewhere…

<http://photothumb.com/>

I also created my own webpage by learning HTML and using Notepad to get it together and then just uploaded everything to my free space with my FTP program.

Perhaps if you tell us what you need to do….we can be of better assistance.
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 10, 2004
Jodie,

I am just trying to upload photos into our business website. The photos are used within text articles.

We have a web server that all photos must be uploaded to before they can be inserted in the articles. My web designer has no problem uploading, although he is working with a MAC.

Does that help?

Thks,
Patty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
Patty, is it all your pics or just one in particular ? You may even try just renaming the image using the ‘copy to’ command and see if that works.
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 10, 2004
Some servers seem to be fussier about file naming than others – I recently switched ISP and reuploaded a web page or four to the new site – I found that some file names which my last ISP was quite happy with were spat back by the new one’s webserver – it didn’t like spaces and some non-alphanumeric characters – it was a pain as I had to regenerate the albums concerned with new names for those files…. Unfortunately I can’t remember what the other characters that were giving problems were might have been brackets of some sort, but I can’t remember now!
Susna S.
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 11, 2004
I can view the image in IE, with the correct file name.
Now, I was tring to import the image into my web server by telling the server where the file could be found. Should I export it from IE to something before importing it? Just trying to brain storm this. I am a total rookie and am probably missing a step in the process.
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 11, 2004
I have a different jpeg image on my zip disk, when i try to upload it to the web server i still get the message " this is not a jpeg image.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 11, 2004
What are you using to upload?
If an FTP program like WS_FTP or the like, must be sent in binary rather than ASCII mode.

Mac
PO
patty_obrien
Feb 12, 2004
I found the glitch. After changing my internet browser from Internet Explorer to Mozilla I was able to upload the images to my web server.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections