Calculating a percentage of black pixels?

JN
Posted By
Joe_Nevin
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for an easy way of calculating a ratio of black to white pixels. I work for a specialty printer, and as such we use special (re expensive) inks. I have a gray scale Photoshop file that shows the area that gets this special ink. I want to be able to calculate a percentage of ink coverage, based on the ratio of black pixels to white pixels. The only thing close I have come up with so far is placing a grid on the file and counting, but obviously that is kludgy. Is there a simple way of selecting all the black and finding out how many pixels are in that selection? From there I can figure the percentage based on total pixels in the file. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Joe

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 23, 2006
The mean of the histogram is the average coverage. You just need to translate the value into an ink percentage. So a mean of 127/128 would be ~50% ink coverage.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections