VP
Posted By
Victor_Patterson
Sep 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using an eMac with OSX 10.3.5. I have previously successfully used the browser in both 7 and CS to Batch Rename jpegs imported from a Nikon D100. First evidence of a problem was when the batch renamed files (all with jpeg extensions) refused to open in PS CS. I used the Get Info command to get file information on one of the JPEGs that refused to open and one that I had previously worked on. I was surprised to find that the JPEG file that had been batch-renamed was classified as a Unix Executable File whereas the JPEG from an earlier date was described as a Adobe Photoshop JPEG file. When I rename a file manually with the very same CS Browser it opens perfectly normally and is described in Get Info as an Adobe PS JPEG. I have de-installed and re-installed CS in the hope that this might help – regrettably the problem persists. Help would be appreciated. Regards. Victor Patterson, Belfast, UK.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Sep 1, 2004
Sounds like a candidate for trashing preferences.
VP
Victor_Patterson
Sep 1, 2004
Ed – Thanks for coming back on my Browser problem. Could you be a little more specific? I have looked at the preferences and there doesn’t seem to be anything amiss. Regards. Victor
R
Ram
Sep 1, 2004
Victor,

Preferences files can and do get corrupted —frequently.

Trashing them or re-setting them (with Photoshop off) forces it to create fresh new ones when you re-launch.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/6712.htm>
EG
Ed_Gerson
Sep 1, 2004
Had the same problem. You wonder
if you just lost everything in the folder.

Try running Norton Utilities or a similar program.

My problem was a node; followed Disk Doctor with defrag and optimize.

Regardless of how advanced OS X is supposed to be, it
seems to splatter the directory all over the hard drive when using PS CS.

Ed Gerson
R
Ram
Sep 1, 2004
Also:

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections